“Pleasant place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hermosa Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Hermosa Hotel to your Saves list
Hermosa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Metropole Street, PO Box 646, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Marcos, California
“Pleasant place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very nice staff and clean rooms. No frills--but a decent location, not too far from the beach and shopping. Considering the price of most places in Avalon, this was a bargain with the deals they offer on-line. Room came with a cute functional kitchenette.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I picked the Hermosa Hotel for a visit to Catalina Island December 2011, and stayed a couple of days with my daughters. Our room was great (basic, but that's the way I like it), the location was good, and most of all the people who manage the Hermosa Hotel were outstanding. I plan to stay there again for my next visit. I give it a 5!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Like other hotels on Catalina Island, Hermosa Hotel is taking advantage of a captive market which allows it to charge a high price for a relatively poor offering. Thus compared to other Catalina hotels it does offer quite good value, but compared to other places you may have stayed for this price it is not great.
My room was a "cottage" (a wooden hut) accessed by a stair off the main street, so effectively accessible by anyone walking past. The door was flimsy with a single temperamental lock and a chain. There were sliding windows with no locks. An 8-year-old could have broken into the room. There didn't seem to be much crime on the island but I didn't feel safe in this room.
During the day the room got VERY hot. There was AC but it could only be on for 2 hours at a time. At night luckily it cooled down and I could imagine the room might actually get pretty cold outside summer. It was also noisy and a lot of light came in through the windows.
The room could have been cleaner too. The important things were clean, like the toilet, but the shower head would have benefited from a good scrub. The floor was gritty, the door handles sticky, and walls and doors stained and cracked.
Good points: friendly, helpful staff; bag storage after checkout; wifi which worked enough to use Skype

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I was worried about booking this place to stay because if all the awlful reviews. But this was one of the two hotels that had vacancy within our budget. And well I have to say this was a excellent place to stay!! The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms were a bit small but they were clean w excellent working AC. The tv had a great selection of channels (even for my son). The beds and pillows were very comfortable. And the location was perfect. Right within walking distant to everything. And when we spent the day at the beach if we forgot something in our rooms it was right close by. I will stay here every time I go to this island. That is how extremely happy I was w the place. And they had our rooms ready when we got there. And they held our bags for the day after we checked out so we didn't have to carry them around. We also were able to shower before returning to the Catalina flyer to head home. I am very happy with this hotel and not only will b returning but I will also recommend it to any friends or family that are planning on visiting beautiful Catalina island!! Thanks a bunch for making our vacation special!

• Stayed August 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Nice place for the money. The staff was great and the only complaint i have is that the air-conditioner is on a timer that only can be set for 2 hours at the most, so when you leave the room to sight see, you come back to a hot room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reno
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in a small cottage, which was nice and clean. For the price in Catalina is was nice. The Staff was friendly and VERY helpful. We toured a room in the main hotel and it was upgraded and very clean. When we return we might choose a room in the historic Inn. Visit there website to view and call them to purchase a vacation package. They again were very helpful setting up our Catalina Vacation.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Pedro, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

First I want to give props to ha Hermosa staff who were friendly, helpful and trying so hard. But the cabins, frankly, there's no nice way to say it, they are really run down. I understand tha they are old and some of the fixes that are badly needed would be very expensive, bu some small, less pricey adjustments would go a long way to upping the charm level and make the more long term issues easier to take.

For example, my room had clearly had some serious water damage at one point. So serious that the bottom of the bathroom door was bubbled and peeling because the fiberboard had absorbed so much water. People, a power sander and some paint would fix that. In fact, new paint pretty much everywhere would help, as would not renting out a room with vertical blinds missing, making it impossible for your guest to block the light from the street. Paint would also conceal the mismatched furniture in the tiny rooms and the corroding chrome on the otherwise cute sink shelf.

Having the sink itself in the bedroom would have been fine, had there been a towel rack or ring thoughtfully placed there and the faucet handles not look crusty and, well, gross. White vinegar and some fresh faucet handles would do wonders. I realize that there is no cheap fix for the fact that I can clearly hear the conversation the next cabin, so much so that my husband thought I was talking to him, but a curtain would help, at least a little, and it would make the place more appealing. A handheld shower head would also be an inexpensive way to solve the problem of it being far too low; so low that I, a woman that stands under 5 1/2 feet, had to stoop to wash my hair. And the bed- ye gods, it was like sleeping on a lumpy trampoline with sheets so threadbare you could see the mattress in spots.

Sadly, the Historic Hermosa cabins are, well, kind of dumpy. The Hotel itself seems better, but I won't rebook there unless they undergo a major renovation, which is a real shame.

Room Tip: If you stay in one of the cabins, pick the ones highest on the slope which are furthest from the pre...