“Would have been better if luggage wasn't stolen from lobby” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aurora Hotel

You added Aurora Hotel to your Saves list
Aurora Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   137 Marilla Avenue, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704 (Formerly Cloud 7 Hotel)   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Would have been better if luggage wasn't stolen from lobby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You heard it right- the day my group was leaving, while running our bags down to the dock for departure, a case disappeared from the lobby. That morning, a number of construction workers came through to eat at the breakfast spread in the lobby, which I thought was kind of unusual for a nice hotel. So, keep a sharp eye on your stuff. The hotel room was great. The bay side view is beautiful. There's a residence adjacent to the balconies, and you can hear all the drama of their daily lives. It's like a reality show of a wedding planner. Some might be put off, but I thought it was great! It gave the place a dose of much-needed character. Despite the theft, I would stay here again, as long as I had a nice view of the bay from my room. Staff is really nice, the property is in excellent shape and there's a rooftop lounge that can't be beat.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, ask for a bay-side room, which may cost more.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I were guests at the Aurora hotel during the JazzTrax Festival; the third weekend of October, 2012. James Blunt, our inkeeper, and Angela were absolutely fantastic. They met our every need, no matter how big or small with nothing but enthusiam each time, which made our stay more than wonderful. Our stay in jr suite, room 218 included a jacuzzi tub, eating/sitting area, keurig coffee maker-very roomy. Even though our room did not have a view we did not miss anything; the roof top lounge had an absolutely gorgeous view and we found ourselves up there relaxing with a glass of wine and conversating with newly met friends. The Aurora is located a up a steep hill so if you don't like walking we would suggest the Avalon. We already made our reservation for next year; just a note it is worth the extra money for the Jr Suite-218 no view & 210 partial view. Thanks, again, James & Angela-see you next year.
Raymond & Debbie Jones

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
swccatalina, Public Relations Manager at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Glad to hear you had a great time and that you've already made your reservations for next year. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

It was my girlfriends first time visiting Catalina Island. She chose the Aurora. I'm glad she did. It is a modern hotel and very well located. The staff is terrific, especially James Blunt, the concierge. There were some road repairs being made at the time of our visit and James found an amazing remedy to our situation. Thank you Sir!!! He also took the time to tell us some of the history of the island and gave us advice on what to do while we were there. They serve a continental breakfast in the morning. Everything was fresh and clean. The roof top deck is an excellent place to hang out and take in the breath taking views. When we return to Catalina we will definitely stay at the Aurora..

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very taking time to share your experiences. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we will be sure to share your compliments with James.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overall hotel is nice but I'd probably book somewhere else if I return. Pros and cons are as follows:

Pros - very nice decor, incredibly comfortable mattress, free food and beverages available throughout the day, nice rooftop lounge area, Keurig coffee pods.

Cons - rooms are small (especially bathrooms), rarely ever able to get hot water, non-ocean view rooms overlook a dirt path/alley - not much privacy, hotel near top of a hill so quite a walk to get to if not driving, walls are paper thin.

I was really surprised to hear my neighbors entire phone conversation. The hotel isn't bad it's just not great.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the décor, our comfortable beds and other unique amenities. I’m so sorry to hear, however, that your experience at the Aurora did not exceed your expectations. Like many things on an island, our standard rooms may be smaller than hotel rooms in other areas. We are sorry to hear about the water situation and your loud neighbors. If you had brought these concerns to our attention when you were on site we could have addressed them, however since we have been unable to replicate the lack of hot water we have to believe this was an anomaly. We hope that you will give the island another chance.
Oxnard, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked this hotel for September 16th to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. It was a trip we had looked forward to for months and were looking forward to a romantic weekend get away and stay at this beautiful hotel. Then the unexpected happened - we found ourselves in the ER on Labor Day and Emergency surgery for my boyfriend. :-( Doctor said we can expect a 30-45 day recovery - and NO, no Catalina trip. I contacted the hotel today and spoke to Dianna - though she felt bad for us she must charge us a cancellation fee!! We had hoped to rebook for my birthday - not now. My bedridden boyfriend is livid that at 11 days out and under the circustances, they would charge us like this. We are on a fixed income so we don't book our trips on a whim. Really disappointed in their customer service policies.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at Aurora Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I’m so sorry that you and your boyfriend’s trip had to be cancelled. Emergency medical situations are always a difficult and emotional time and we are very sorry the two of you had to experience that. Although our policies are clearly described both on the web and via phone, we waived the majority of our cancellation fee due to the circumstances surrounding your cancellation. As Diana explained to you on the phone, we only assessed a nominal charge to cover our processing fees. Once again we’re very sorry you had to cancel your trip and we hope your boyfriend has a complete recovery.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have to say that I booked this place for my girlfriends 30th birthday and would not have without the help from the other review on Trip Advisor.

I booked online from there website and decided on the bay view room, #213 to be exact. The called me the following morning to discuss the package (room, ferry and taxi) that I bought. They were very courteous on the phone and even did a follow up to make sure that everything was in order.

I need to point out though that google maps puts the hotel right at the ferry landing, which it is not. It turned out to be a very fortunate thing as there is not much right at the landing.

The room itself was a little small, but very cute. We had no problems with noise from the street traffic, but we are heavy sleepers while on vacation. The view was of the bay and was great. there is a house in front of the window, but didn't obstruct much. The price was great for the time of year and the view, in my opinion. The only downfall that i can see is that it is on a pretty steep hill (not that steep if your from San Francisco) but not enough to deter people away from the stay there.

Upon check out, we stored our bags at the front desk and ventured around Avalon some more. The gentleman who helped us on check out, James Blunt (like the singer), I feel deserves a mention as he was extremely friendly and genuinely cared how our stay was.

Overall a very positive experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 213 was ours (bay view)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear you had a great trip for your girlfriend's birthday and enjoyed your stay. Thanks for letting us know about James, we'll make sure and let him know he made a difference. Hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Great staff, service, location. Beautifully and tastefully designed. Very well appointed, great mattress, linen and towels. Lovely continental breakfast. Our favorite from now on for our Catalina trips.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We're honored to be your favorite and hope to see you again soon. Thanks for taking the time to submit a review.

Been to Aurora Hotel? Share your experiences!