I'm so confused by the negative reviews here! My best friend and I stayed here for four days in January 2013 and we were floored by how perfect our room was. Perhaps we got a remodeled one? Nonetheless, we went with the standard room which has two beds and the bathroom with the big tub. (We didn't use the tub but it makes for a very nice, roomy shower.) Our room had hardwood floors, wainscoting, a well-stocked mini kitchen with nice glass door cabinets, a big stainless steel sink and lovely tile. Our bedding was comfy and modern. The bathroom was gorgeous! Beautiful tile and a neat-o "waterfall" faucet fixture in the sink. The overall property is really awesome too...we just stepped out the door to the patio and a few more steps took us to an amazing view of the ocean.
For those whining about the room size---guess what? I've been going to Catalina since I was a kid and all the rooms in Avalon are tiny! (There is also no Macy's or Walgreen's here--it's a quirky little island, folks.)
It IS a bit of a hike to get to the hotel but we liked that remote aspect and it made for a nice, quiet stay. We checked in at the Hermosa (their sister hotel) and Scotty (he is awesome!!) grabbed our bags and drove us to our place. Regarding the complaints about the lack of staff at the Catalina B.H.--again, we loved the quiet. There was maid service every day and if we needed something (we didn't--what would we need??) the friendly staff is just a phone call and a block away.
The BEST part about this trip is that parents were also there, only they wanted to stay somewhere "nicer" for about $300 a night. After we raved about our room, they came up for a night cap on our patio and were beyond impressed. We had ice! We had proper glasses! Not only was their room smaller than ours, but they didn't have any kitchen amenities and my dad complained that he could barely fit in his shower. Hahaha, finally the kids win!
While there we did two tours--the terrifyingly fun "extreme" HumVee tour over the top of the hills (our guide was the awesome Bear) and we did a whale-watching tour in a high-speed raft boat. So cool!!! We also spent waaaay too much time at JL's Locker Room on Sumner Ave. They have pool tables, salty barkeeps and boy, do they make some nice stiff drinks. (We actually renamed it the "Hurt Locker.")
Catalina and its residents are fun, bohemian and laid back. This is a real mom and pop kind of place and if you are uptight and picky you should probably go elsewhere. If you love to have fun on a beautiful, non-commercial island, this is the place for you! Give Scotty a call, he will get you set up and take great care of you. And if it's the off-season he'll probably give you a good deal. I can't wait to go back!!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming property is located one block uphill from the beach in a quiet residential area still walking distance to the shops and restaurants. Modern kitchenettes and our sunny patios set the scene for relaxing barbecues with family and friends. Store your bikes in our lush courtyards or enjoy lounging on one of our public or semi-private decks with sweeping harbor views. We have some pet friendly rooms. This is the perfect setting for intimate weddings and small events and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Catalina Boat House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalina Beach House Hotel Avalon
- Catalina Beach Hotel
- Catalina Beach Avalon
- Catalina Boat House Catalina Island/Avalon, CA