“Best experience I've had at a hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Catalina Beach House
200 Marilla Avenue, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Tempe, Arizona, United States
“Best experience I've had at a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have to say, this hotel really made my trip to Catalina. When booking, Scotty set us up with a fantastic deal, including boat trips back and forth as well as two nights in the Beach House. These guys prices and quality of service really can't be beat anywhere else on the island. We took the Catalina Express from Long Beach, and had called ahead to let the hotel what time our boat would be heading over. We had made a small oversight in not having a ride planned out for when we reached Catalina, but Scotty from the hotel was ready to impress. Minutes after arriving at the dock, as my family and I were confusedly looking around wondering how we would get to our hotel, Scotty called us on our cell phone to make sure we had arrived safely, and to let us know he would be heading down with the free hotel shuttle right away. Moments later, he pulled up in his golf cart "limo" and took us straight to our rooms. The rooms themselves were clean, smelled good, had everything we needed from a stove and a jacuzzi tub, to air freshener and silverware. Also, using the "bat phone" located at the front of the office, any time I needed anything or had any sort of concern, the staff was no more than five minutes away, and eager to resolve any of my issues, day or night. Also, because we traveled in November, the property was essentially empty except for my family and I , and we enjoyed private use of the grill, patio, deck, and garden area. The staff here at the Beach House is pretty spectacular, and made my first trip to Catalina one to remember. They were always ready with great local suggestions on where to eat, where to get the best deals, and all of the local hot spots. Not only WILL I stay with Catalina Beach House Hotel again, but I can hardly to wait to get back there and enjoy the property once more. Definitely a great place to enjoy the beautiful island of Catalina.

Room Tip: Book early to get a room on the main or upper deck. The beach house has many rooms that will require...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HermosaHotel, Manager at Catalina Beach House, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We will certainly pass along your wonderful comments to Scotty...we are proud of the level of service our team provides. We especially enjoyed your comment on our great patio area! One of the benefits of our quaint little hotel is the ability to stretch out and relax on our decks and patios. We hope to see you back on-island sooner than later!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We were expecting a small room and knew the hotel was up a hill, but did not expect to find such dilapidated accommodations in California for $150/ nigh! The windows are so dirty it's hard to look out them, the carpet feels crispy- don't be barefoot in the room, there was hair on our sheets and I keep telling myself it's from the maid and that they were washed since the last guests, the mirror in the bathroom is broken but the four holders are still on the wall. The comforter and sheets are seriously from the 80's. Could go on, but you get the idea, be prepared for really run down and not clean. The room does have a decent fridge( good thing since ice machine is broke so we had to lug up a bag if ice from the store) microwave, big TV ( that we've never turned on) mirrored closet ( luckily since theres none in the bathroom-but if you need to put on make up good luck with the lighting) and a communal BBQ on the patio. Also the man at the front desk was very nice, but he is in a customer service job so he shoukd be. We knew it was the cheapest room in Catalina but I've stayed in the low end rooms in a lot of country's and have never had one that is this bad.

• Stayed September 2012
HermosaHotel, Manager at Catalina Beach House, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
How disappointing to read such a negative review after having so many people give us positive feedback about our rooms being comfortable, quaint, and, most importantly, very clean! Of course we appreciate the compliments about our patios and customer service, but we are concerned with your comments about the room itself and have tasked our management team to seek out and correct any issues in each of our 3 value rooms, as we cannot pinpoint which of our rooms the reviewer is referring to. We understand that our 1912 hotel (converted from a houseboat) is not for everyone. Being one block uphill in a quiet neighborhood, we are forced to concede that many people could absolutely afford the higher cost to stay on the main strand in middle of all the hustle and bustle. This is why we take great measures to ensure the cleanliness of our rooms and upkeep of our property, and we are happy to mention that our housekeeping and maintenance do a fantastic job.

We always try to be responsive and welcoming to customer feedback, good or bad. Our staff consistently performs above and beyond the call of duty when given the opportunity to address your issues at any time of day or night. To this point, we encourage the poster to contact our main office to help us better review their experience.
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The management here is more then helpful , The manager was very accommodating to meet my stay here. The location is perfect over looking the Great Pacific . I couldn't ask for a more relaxed room with everything in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Catalina Beach House last June. This hotel is not fancy, but has a very cozy patio with a barbeque grill and a glimpse of an ocean. We were lucky to be all by ourselves on a patio one night and enjoyed a very romantic sunset in quiet privacy. This hotel has amazingly comfortable beds with heaven-like mattresses and pillows. We never slept so well at any hotel before! Another bonus was a bath tub with jets in every room. It was nice to relax in a massaging Jacuzzi tub after a long active day on the island. All of the mentioned features, plus a very friendly hotel staff, made our stay even more enjoyable! We’re looking forward to go there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

if your looking for luxury accommodations this is not for you. If your an adventurer, like it simple, don't mind walking up a hill to get to the hotel, & like inexpensive rooms, then this is the place for you. I always stay here when i visit Avalon because I don't spend much time in my hotel room when i'm there anyways except to sleep & shower. You can do both of those things comfortably. Its quiet, the staff is helpful/super nice, its quant, clean, & affordable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

It was our second time staying at the hotel. We found it to be a complete disappointment. The cost was not worth it. On our arrival there was no one to greet you and there was breifly office hotel personnel for the three days of our stay. Our shower had mold in the grout and the maid refused to clean it. In the next room was a bachelor party that came back to the hotel and woke us up at 2:30am to continue with their party. The room definitely needed new mattress's,sheets and comforters. I give the hotel two stars because I feel the office staff are friendly and were trying to be helpful. I now regret recommending this hotel to people I met on the Catalina Express.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The staff here is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered. Very helpful and accommodating! We chose the place because it had a kitchenette, but to be honest, the room was so small that we never used it! Our friends booked one of the suites and that room was perfect (although obviously more expensive!) Next time we go back I will splurge on the suite. It is located up a hill, so we did get a great workout every time we went back to the hotel, but of you have no interest in that, this is not the place for you. We happen to be there on the hottest weekend of the year, which meant getting up every hour or so at night to turn the AC back on, but I am sure typically you do not need it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Catalina Beach House? Share your experiences!