“26th Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles, California
“26th Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We got a great deal from Groupons for 2 nights so did not expect a lot. I was really surprised at how nice the hotel was. It is off the beaten path but it is also quiet and has a nice view of the harbor from the patio area. We had a good night sleep but it also was in May so not too hot. The only downside in our room was that the air conditioner was on a timer and when it turned off it would wake me up. I wish the timer would have been at least for 4 hours. I am sure it is due to people leaving on the air con even though they are not in the room. So I can not fault the hotel. We were not there during the summer so I don't know how hot it gets but other than that it was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Goleta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend getaway and we loved it! The service was great, the room was comfortable, and we can't wait to go back. We did not have any problems with the staff or room, and you can't go wrong with the location, as we were walking distance from everything in town. The weekend was very affordable as well.

I highly recommend the Catalina Beach House!
Eli

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This hotel isn't luxorious, but nothing in Avalon is. Well priced with a kitchenette. They allowed us to bring our 10lb dog, which was special for us. We needed a cork screw for a bottle of wine we purchased in town, and they brought one to the door. Not "come to the front desk and we'll let you borrow one." The said we could keep the bottle opener as a gift. Sure, nothing you could take to the pawn shop and get a few bucks, but in terms of customer service...priceless! The owners are unbelievable friendly from the first phone inquiry, to the final good bye. I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband Craig and I decided to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary on Catalina. We have visited the island many times and love it. We have stayed at the Catalina Beach House Hotel before and have always enjoyed our stay. In making the reservations, I dealt with "Chris". Chris is a definite asset to that hotel. He was very knowledgable, very accommodating and upbeat at all times. He could not have done his job better. Our children sent over some champagne and Chris made sure it was all set up with flutes when we arrived at the hotel. The room was modern, clean and had a nice view. We have stayed in that room and would be happy to stay there again. The only problem is the location, it is up a hill. After climbing it for two days, I think my legs were getting buff. All in all, we would be very happy to stay there again and can not thank Chris and the staff enough for making our stay very enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Rosamond, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I am looking forward to staying at the Catalina Beach House again and would recommend the hotel . Catalina Island offers a wide variety of accomadations from some poorly managed ,dirty,miserable places to stay to some very unique pleasurable places you won't want to leave .I would rate the CBH above average the rooms aren,t huge but they are clean and comfortable . The two rooms that I,ve stayed in had small refridgerators,stoves,microwaves,and jacuzzi tubs .There is also a clean patio area with a bbq right outside. The CBH is a little bit of a walk up a hill I believe they have a vehicle if the hill is a problem or you have a lot to carrry.The only problem we had was with water the faucets were all labeled HOT and the water was VERY HOT .I spoke with the manager Chris hopefully the,re able to fix this immeadiatly not only did this make showering etc.a pain in the butt it was hot enough in my opinion to be dangerous especialy for small children or the occasional drunk .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
altadena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

GREAT manager Chris.

$275 / night for a "suite" (1 room including a "kitchen" area) and, in all fairness, a bathroom that includes a jet-type bath tube, toilet and a sink.

The bathroom in the second room I stayed in had a shower and toilet but no sink (but one could wash one's hands in the "kitchen" sink).

We have stayed in Catalina for years, in many places (some quite expensive and some quite economical). I think this is the lowest VALUE yet. We could have had a 2 bedroom small house (much closer to town) with a real kitchen for the price of the one room we had here.

Thanks for all your attention Chris. Good Job. You would do really well in a more customer-oriented business. Robert Swinney

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bellflower, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed in the Beach House suite which looks like it has been newly remodeled. It was very clean and pretty. The manager, Chris, was extremely helpful and courteous to us. My only concern (and I shared this with Chris) is that there needs to be better window coverings. You can see right into the room through all of the windows and the windows on the door, the blinds do not cover them well and we even had to cover up when another hotel guest passed by our room. Other than the window situation, once they correct this issue, this is truly a wonderful place to stay. I wish we could have stayed longer but we are considering taking our family on vacation and staying at the Beach House later in the year.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalina Beach House? Share your experiences!