“Best Inn on Catalina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Snug Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Snug Harbor Inn
You added Snug Harbor Inn to your Saves list
108 Sumner Ave., Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Williamstown, West Virginia
“Best Inn on Catalina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

The Snug Harbor Inn is everything you expect and more. In the center of town, oceanfront, this inn was just wonderful. We stayed in the San Nicolas "blue" room for $300 per night. I had mentioned that this was our 15th anniversary trip and complimentary champagne was in the room when we arrived. The Snug Harbor staff are friendly and attentive. Room delivered breakfast was wonderful each day and the special touch amenities were great. If you want to be pampered and really relax this is a great location. What would make this the perfect spot would be a decrease in the room rate. $300 per night still seems a little high for this great location. If the inn was $200 or less for the same room, I would be back every year! If money is no object though for you, this is the best choice in Avalon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

We took our first trip to Catalina, back in January of this year, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I actually made my decision on where to stay, based on some of the reviews on this site. I was not disappointed! Snug Harbor Inn was even more wonderful than I had hoped. I was even impressed with the Inn, from my very first phone call to make a reservation. It was a special occassion, and I was prepared to request their very best room. After the lady on the phone ask me a few questions about what we liked, she helped me pick the perfect room, not necessarily the most expensive room. I appreciated that and it turned out to be very good advice. I don't think I could have anticipated how beautiful the San Nicholas room was, just based on the pictures on their website.

Here's what I loved about Snug Harbor: The location is amazing. The bay window of our room, overlooked the harbor, the main boardwalk, and the central fountain. It has to be the most beautiful, interesting view of any room on the island! This is where we drank our afternoon wine, and in the morning ate our wonderful breakfast.

We are not rich, but I believe in doing it up right on special occassions. When I pay $250 a night for a room, I have high expectations and I love it when I am not disappointed. I loved Snug Harbor because I felt pampered yet was still given the privacy that I want so much on a romantic getaway. I loved that we could choose when we wanted to eat breakfast, and that it was brought to our room, to eat in our pajamas, sitting at that pretty table with the fresh flowers, overlooking that gorgeous view of the bay.

Also, I have to say the staff was a real delight. It's been almost 6 months now, so I'm not sure I have her name right, but I think it was Vickie, who showed us our room, and brought us our breakfast. She was so friendly, and always had a quick funny story to tell, and then out the door to leave us to our breakfast and time alone together. I think a good innkeeper has a sense for who wants to hang out and chat it up, and who wants to be left alone in their beautiful idyllic cocoon! (That would be me). I liked the staff here because they were friendly and welcoming, but didn't overdo it.

That brings us to the room. Charming and uniquely furnished in beautiful antiques, but all the most luxurious ammenities. Just the way I like it! Big beautiful bathroom with interesting mosaic floor tile, a big whirlpool bath, a basket full of little luxuries ... mineral bath, shampoo, etc. In the bedroom, gorgeous wood floors, beautifully furnish, but also those other luxuries I love: Fireplace that goes on with the flip of a switch. TV, VCR. While my husband took his usual nap, I watched "The Old Man in the Sea" ... which I had never seen before, but there it was in our room. I drank a glass of wine, looked out the window at the sea just yards from my window, and watched Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea. So indulgent and wonderful!

My only complaint would be, because I'm a late sleeper, by the time we got up around 10 am, the hot water was running a little low for a big hot bath.
Other than that, I can't think of a single thing that didn't exceed my expectations.

There were earplugs provided, but we certainly had no need for them. The San Nicholas room and the Santa Catalina room both face directly toward the ocean, so unless the sound of the ocean is an unpleasant sound to you, ... you can't go wrong in these rooms. The other rooms, I think, may face toward a little pedestrian street, so maybe there is noise there on a Friday or Saturday night . But we never heard a thing from outside our room, other than mild wave lapping up on the shore. We were there on a Friday and Sat night, but it was January. I think there are no cars allowed in this pedestrian area. Very few cars allowed on the island at all!

When I go back to Catalina Island, I will have a very hard time being adventerous enough to stay anywhere besides Snug Harbor Inn. My experience was so perfect in every way, I can't imagine having a nicer stay than we did at this Inn. It was well worth the money we spent; I would go back in a heartbeat!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2004

In April, we celebrated our anniversary with a long weekend on Santa Catalina Island, and stayed at the Snug Harbor Inn. It was above our expectations for such a "touristy" destination. The best part was its location in the heart of downtown. We were just steps from everything and were able to zoom back to our room for "pit stops" and naps whenever we wanted to. The only downside is that there is noise from disco across the street. But the Inn provides earplugs and a "white noise" machine that this combo blocked all the clamor completely. It was really a cute place with lovely in-room breakfast, free appetizers and wine in a common room every evening. We really enjoyed it. Oh! Rent a golf cart and tour around the island -- tons of fun. We even read aloud from the copy of MOBY DICK in our room, with fire roaring, which was really fun.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2004

We chose to stay at Snug Harbor for it's many luxuries. It not only met but exceeded our expectations. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and more than willing to make your stay comfortable. The hotel and room were very clean, comfortable and relaxing. We appreciated all of the extra things they did to make our stay so wonderful. The evening wine and cheese as well as the morning complimentary breakfast in our room and the turn down service at night complete with chocolates and the fresh flowers were just some of the details that Snug Harbor made sure to pay attention to. We felt just like we were at home and we would gladly reccomend the hotel any day. As a side note be sure and use the luggage service at the boat ramp. It's worth the extra $3.50 per bag.

San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2004

Snug Harbor is probably the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in. It combines a warm and friendly B&B atmosphere with the elegance appeal of a 5-star hotel. Our breakfast was brought to our room each morning at a time we chose. Breakfast consisted of a fresh, hot baked bread (raisin, plum, etc), juice and coffee, yogurt and cold cereal, a perfect amount of food to start the day. We stayed in the San Nicolas room, overlooking the main street and the ocean. All I can say is, we had a marvelous time. The room was so beautiful and the view so awesome, that we could have stayed in our room the whole time and had a completely wonderful stay! We plan to go back next year too! Thank you Snug Harbor!

• Stayed March 2004
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2004

Absolutely fantastic!!!A problem with noise at night, especially from the local kids.All other ammenities were perfect!!Have been here several times!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2003

Snug Harbor Inn has perfected the idea of "a vacation in your hotel room". My daughter and I met in Catalina in great need of relaxation. We had a great time on the island but had to almost force ourselves out of this lovely room. The ambience was perfect; service excellent and staff was very cordial. I'm spoiled!!

Been to Snug Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!