“Best location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
burbank
“Best location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I've been going to Catalina for over 40 years. I either get a weekly rental or stay at the Atwater. It's not a great hotel, but it gets the job done. Sometimes, it's a little noisy. Sometimes, the AC could be better. But for the price and location, it's superb. I'm going for 3 days this summer, so it's perfect. I've recommended it to friends for years. My sister didn't like it---she's more the upscale type who'll spend $300 or more. Good for her. Funny. We spent the same amount of time on the beach and running around the island and I saved $200 per day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Victorville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

After speaking with management SCOTT and making him aware of our experience he was more than sorry, he was embarrased at his staff (one person in particular). All I can say is I am very very happy with how SCOTT resolved our problem. Thank you very much for listening to our concerns and taking the time to correct any wrong doing. I told myself I would not let one bad apple ruin my experiences on such a beautifull place. I will be back to Catalina Island absolutely! Stay at the Atwater, very possible! Thank You SCOTT.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010 via mobile

The whole trip was great until the lady Karen at the front desk started vein rude. Seems like they have s manager named Scott whine they can never reach and either can I. The rude employees run it. I recommend u steer clear from this Low class hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
san diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Everything apeared fine until 9pm when the obnoxious bar across the street was blasting music until 2am. I called the front desk and the sheriff's office and they ignored my complaint.

My kids could not sleep and we had a horrible experience. I requested a full refund and will never stay at this low class skank place and could only recommend it if you stay out until 3am anyways. Stay away!!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
North Plainfield, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I just returned from my stay at the Hotel Atwater....The staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was in an excellent location (you can walk everywhere) and the rooms were clean and updated...I would recommend the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

I went to Catalina with my husband for our second anniversary and I booked the Best of winter package at the Atwater hotel because it offered the best value(and with the economy me and my husband are always looking for that!). After reading some reviews I was not really expecting much and anyway, we were not planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel room. But we were greatly surprised with the friendliness of the staff, the clelinnes of our bedroom and the nice location. We did get one of the renovated rooms in the third floor, which were nicer and more spacious. I specially recommend this hotel for young people and/or families that are in decent shape(no elevators) and if you dont have many bags. I probably will be going back on my B-day and we will definetely stay at the Atwater hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

In short, 2 nights in this hotel was uncomfortable for my family plus 2 other families and my mother who came here for some rest and relaxation. We had reserved 4 rooms which were described as suites to smaller couple-sized rooms, all pretty much were either poorly-maintained (a cockroach was in the shower of my sister's room) or required some renovation or updating. And the prices were phenomenally high for off-season ! But the worst was the front desk service which was full of sarcasm from a particular lady who will remain nameless, and provided minimal to no hospitality service (Karen). The hotel was noisy at all hours with people coming and going at very late hours (1am & 2am) and the staff did very little to enforce any code of courtesy.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Atwater? Share your experiences!