“Accommodation, service .” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Chula Vista, California
“Accommodation, service .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I enjoyed very much my visit here in Catalina Island and esp. Our stay at Hotel Atwater, Avalon Ca. The staff are friendly and accommodating , thank you to the following staff : Katryna, Adam, Tate, Annabelle, Rodrigo and Andres keep the smile always.......

Room Tip: People that are over 55 shld stay close to the front desk if it is possible due to walking problems...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing my team for their exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Leicestershire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

While there was nothing 'wrong' with the hotel or room, there were a few things that could have made our stay better:

The Good:
Helpful, friendly staff did their best to make our stay a pleasant one and to meet our needs (travelling with a toddler). No extra charges for early check-in and late check-out
Nice morning coffee and tea selection in the lobby
Good central location for Avalon
Neutral decor
Comfortable bed and no extra charge for roll away bed

The Less Good:
Sound insulation could be better for a town hotel
Doors slamming through the night
A LOT of noise coming from outside (not the fault of the hotel but potential guests should be aware of this, when we stayed there was a night club and open air concert that disturbed and prevented sleep)
The room was not especially clean: Dust on the back of furniture. Dirt around the mouldings in the bathroom. Hairs in the shower. Old soap in the soap dish. A few (pet?) hairs in the bed sheets. Smelly carpet when you got down to floor level.

This is a 'no frills' hotel. You won't get a fridge or more lamps than you need. I would only recommend this with hesitation to families but it would have suited us well before we had children!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for something at the back of the hotel. Avoid sea-views!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the housekeeping service. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I will share it with my team.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Catalina with my family and some close friends. Our stay at the Hotel Atwater was very nice. Everyone at the hotel was extremely polite and accommodating and seemed to sincerely appreciate the business. The location is very convenient.

In keeping with some other reviews of this property, the rooms are a bit spartan and only some have been updated, but the beds were comfortable and all the necessary amenities were there. The complimentary morning coffee served in the lobby was actually quite good, and I'm a coffee snob. :-)

The bottom line is that I would stay there again in a heartbeat and came away from the experience relaxed and refreshed. My wife and I travel a lot, both for business and pleasure, and it's rare that a hotel stay is without incident or issue - whether it's the room, the service, the hidden charges, etc. This was one of those rare occasions when I can't think of anything that was amiss.

Room Tip: We had a room backing up to Metropole Avenue and there was a good amount of street noise - one of th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests. Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here over this past weekend for a little getaway. After much research, I selected this hotel and crossed my fingers it was nice considering the mixed reviews I saw on here and other sites. I tried keeping my mind open. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a very friendly blonde girl (I didn't get her name). She checked us in very quickly and I was surprised we were able to check in just before 11AM since the official checkin time is 3PM. One complaint I often read about was the lack of an elevator. Since my girlfriend and I were on the third level, we had to walk up and back down 2 flights of stairs. Personally, I don't think it was that difficult of a trek and I am not really complaining about the stairs. Sure, an elevator would be convenient but I don't think it is necessary. Onto the room: My first impression of the room was 'it's small'. The room was small but strangely comforting. Fortunately the queen-sized bed was comfortable. The 1990's model TV felt like a blast from the past but I already expected that based on other reviews and brought my own 15" laptop for entertainment. The view from the room was very nice and we could see the ocean/Cresent Ave. Even smaller was the bathroom. It required a little maneuvering to get into. The shower was about a 2'x2' cube so I don't recommend dropping the soap. You'll be kissing the wall bending down to get it. Overall, the room and bathroom served their purposes and considering my girlfriend and I spent most of the time outside of the room, those things didn't matter very much. What I value the most is customer service and the people at the Hotel Atwater know customer service. Everyone was very friendly when we left and got back to the hotel from our adventures. I also wanted to personally mention Ulyces. He went above and beyond to accomodate us and was just overall awesome. My girlfriend and I will definitely stay at the Hotel Atwater any time we come back onto the island. Thank you for being great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing Ulyces with his exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Old hotel but clean and comfortable. Don't go here if you can't climb 2 long flights of stairs, NO elevator. Like rooms in Italy the climb up to the 2nd floor, really the third floor, can be daunting. After walking all day the final climb to bed in the evening was the coup d'état. Hotels in Avalon are expensive, especially on Mothers Day weekend, so I guess we got value. So after 40 years in California I finally made it to Catalina, I enjoyed it and I thank my wife for the nice birthday gift, but now that I have been there I don't see any reason to go there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Atwater on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Atwater.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my Mother's day weekend here with my son. The staff are really a pleasure to interact with, the rooms, while nothing exceptional, were clean and comfortable. We spent most of our time in Avalon, so all we needed was two beds and a shower. Great location, terrific price, too. But the staff were the best. I was always happy to pass by the desk or grab a cup of coffee in the lobby.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Atwater Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Thank you for recognizing them with their extraordinarily service. I will personally share your feedback with them.

los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm giving this a 5 star for the class of hotel this is - excellent value for the price. Rooms are basic and bathroom is small, but you also aren't paying the high prices of other hotels in the area. We weren't spending much time in the room anyways so save the $$ for food, drinks and excursions. Location is very easy and convenient (but just about everything in Catalina is - the town is very small). The staff are friendly and knowledgable of the area.

Most places in Catalina are a 2 night minimum, but if you wait till 2-3 weeks before, they will often sell to you for just one night (that is what we did).

No food here, but there is plenty of options just steps away, including a convenience store right across the street. The chinese place next door is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.

Roberto Perico

Been to Hotel Atwater? Share your experiences!