“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Lake Arrowhead, California
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is an old hotel that has been updated and has very comfortable new beds. We stayed there isn February, 2013 and were very pleased as it was quiet, a block from the beach and qomfortable.

Not very many ammenities but they have coffee in the morning and a place to store your diving or other gear.The pricewas well below other properties in Avalon ($100/ night on the weekend.

Room Tip: Get the double queen room. There a larger and so is the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Atwater Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for 1 night in the middle of President's weekend. Almost all the other hotels required a minimum of 2 nights for a long weekend & the Atwater was the only one that did not. They also did not jack their prices up for the long weekend. As the previous reviews have stated, this is a basic hotel, with NO elevators. It is 3 floors & you can carry your bags up to your room or have a bellman carry it. We stayed in one of the queen upgrade rooms. The rooms are very basic with a bed(s), 2 endtables, 2 lamps, a shelf for the tv; the bathrooms have towels & shampoo. The upgrade rooms include a hair blow dryer & an iron. Having said that, the beds are extremely comfortable, the room size was good, clean, the shower provided sufficent pressure & plenty of hot water. I have stayed in high end hotels that cost much more & had more furniture, but if you want a BASIC room at a reasonable cost & is conveniently located, and want to stay for just a night, this is the place to be.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Atwater for one night for a friend's engagement party. It was centrally located, had all the basic amenities, free wifi, and was inexpensive. If you're looking for a luxurious stay, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a place in the center of town with basic accommodations, this is spot on. Also, they're one of the few hotels that allow a single night stay over a weekend. They also allowed us to check out one hour late and held our bags until our ferry departure. I plan on staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

Leesville, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Nice and clean. The bathroom was small and the stairs were steep, but oh well. It doesn't have A/C but it didn't need it when I was there in May of 2010...we opened the window. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly...they even held our bags after checkout since we were catching the latest boat out after two wonderful days. I recommend the golf cart rentals but not the furthest one down because that older caveman was rude, lol.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My main review was done previously on Yelp and I am too lazy to repeat it here. In brief, very clean, staff was great, beds extremely comfortable. Ambiance is wonderful - brings you back to another era. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The stairs were a bit steep and the bathroom was tiny. However, the room was clean and bed was comfortable. I guess you couldn't ask for a better deal in the overpriced island. The concierge were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had an issue with our reservation prior to arrival as when I called to confirm my reservation and discuss adding tours to my reservation; I was told my reservation was for a different date. After talking to 3 people I finally spoke with the manager and he was able to locate the reservation, what a relief! Still I do not know why the others could not find it. When we arrived at the hotel our room was not ready, so they stored our luggage while we went to have lunch. Once we checked in and got to our room, we found it nice and the people at the desk were very nice. We were upgraded for a fee that included tours and I was happy with the quality of the two tours we were able to attend.
Towels are thin but clean as was the room. No blow dryer, so I had to go to dinner with wet hair. If you want a basic room for a decent price this is the place.
At check-out time the hotel stored our bags until our ship left, because it departed at 4:30 and check out time is 11. I was glad because I saw people dragging luggage around town and I sure did not want to that. All in all it was a fun trip and we would stay here again as long as they keep the price down.

Room Tip: We were onthe 3rd floor with the window facing the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Atwater? Share your experiences!