“Wouldn't pay full price...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel St. Lauren
231 Beacon St., P.O. Box 2166, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles, California
“Wouldn't pay full price...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for an anniversary recently and we were less than impressed. The stay was booked through a groupon deal (only ~100 a night, fri-sun) thankfully, because i don't feel it was worth any more than that.

We were given the only room out of the entire hotel without a window unit A/C. Instead, we were given a fan, and a weak one at that. The room got stuffy and was uncomfortable. our room was also up against the road (street level), so any noise is loud and clear. Staff didn't seem too enthused (or polite) when helping us at checkout, no "How was your stay?" or anything like that.

On the plus side, it was pretty clean, and the location was nice, everything is in walking distance.. but God help you if you get stuck in the same room as we did on a hot summer night.

Room Tip: get something above the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance of the Catalina Express drop off. It's probably about a five block walk with the last block being uphill. We had no problem walking to it with two large suitcases. The rooms are nice, but dated. They offer coffee from 8-10am, but there is no food except for a vending machine near the elevator. To me that is a big negative, as I enjoy eating breakfast before I get ready to leave the hotel. Also, the Internet is free, but it is painfully slow. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was always clean. We used a Groupon to purchase our stay. If we go again, we will consider staying at the St. Lauren, but will compare it to other hotels first.

• Stayed March 2013
West Olive
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We loved the Hotel St. Lauren with its rooftop deck overlooking the city. Its just a short walk from downtown, yet very quiet. They have a place to store your luggage for you if you want to arrive early or stay past check out. Ask for a room with a view of the city. Would definitely stay there again.

Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I would give this hotel a zero and I haven't even been there. I had reservations for 4/24 with a groupon. I also had a groupon for the Catalina flyer. Catalina flyer called and will not be running from 4/15-5/8, maintenance or something. hey, it happens. They had told hotels and said the hotels said they would cooperate. My groupon for St. Lauren expires 5/2. Unable to go sooner I told them about the boat situation and asked for an extension on my groupon with them. Newport beach is already a 1.5 hour drive and I had my groupon, St Lauren suggested I go to the Catalina Exress in Dana Point. I explained it would be a financial hardship, no groupon for them, and a long drive. They told me to contact groupon and get a refund. They were nice enough to include groupon's phone number. No cooperation at all! I had even called to see about a room upgrade and anything to do with groupon must be done online or by email. Can't call and talk to anyone. My friend and I had really looked forward to our trip but if we find a way to go it will not be at the St Lauren!

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
stlaurenmanagement, General Manager at Hotel St. Lauren, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
On this groupon deal we had 800 sucessful reservations. The reservations were all done by email. The catalina flyer was not part of this deal but separate, but because of their planned maintenance with no input from us, guests had to rebook their reservations. We rebooked all of them except for this one which wanted to go [ast the travel by date. There is a purpose and reason for the travel by date or we would not have done the groupon deal. As always we encourage travelers to take all of our reviews when making their travel plans.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We got to the St. Lauren on a GroupOn. We were three couples and one of our reservations was apparently, mistakenly cancelled. The front desk managed to reverse the cancellation and, in the process, upgraded our rooms. The upgrade took us to rooms with balconies: Excellent. I recommend seeking rooms with balconies at this property. Great views which put you completely in an Avalon state of mind.

We were on the 5th floor and one floor above us was a terrace overlooking the bay with chairs, tables and chaise lounges. This was our spot for late afternoon reading and cocktails. Super!

It's an older hotel, so various elements showed their age (I can relate), but the room was clean and pleasant ... the bed was great.

I'm always interested in the wifi arrangement (no, I'm not married to social media, but I like to plan things day by day with info from the web and I like to share our day with family via pictures). The St. Lauren offered free wifi for guests. Thank you!

Complimentary coffee in the morning: two carafes - one coffee, one hot water for tea drinkers. My wife and I drink decaf, so we waited until we hit the streets for breakfast.

Great ice machine ... seemingly bottomless.

Quirky point: a rusty brad sticking up from the front desk. I pointed this out to a desk clerk who indicated that the owners were aware of the problem. Hello? A cork, a piece of tape, something? Blemish. No big deal.

We were happy campers and would return.

On the subject of Catalina: March is a quiet time on Catalina. One of our party chatted with the new Chief of Police who indicated that the population swells from 4,000 to 40,000 when they hit high season. Not everything was open or fully functional for our visit, but I would not trade our quiet enjoyment of Avalon for jostling with 40,000 visitors for anything.

Room Tip: Balconies are a big plus.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were celebrating my husband's 45th birthday and chose Catalina because we needed a quick trip. The hotel was only one of a few that didn't require a 2 night minimum- When I made the reservation i mentioned his birthday- they didn't say anything about it when we checked in. They did give us a very large room with 2 bathrooms which was nice. When we walked in to the room, it was very musty and very dated- really unattractive old floral bedspreads, something you might find at your grandparent's home. There is a nice balcony on the 6th floor overlooking the bay. The carpeting in the room was worn and old- furnishings are dated. The rooms were clean and so were the bathrooms- it's just like you might be staying at an older relative's house.

The hotel's location is a few blocks from the waterfront- it's an easy walk from the boat and it's within walking distance of most locations. Honestly for the price- it wasn't bad- it just would have been nice to have the hotel a bit more of a luxurious experience.

Hotels on Catalina can be expensive-and this one seemed reasonable, but if it's luxury your looking for; this is not the place to stay!

Room Tip: Room 607 is a huge room with 2 bathrooms! Very big, not a great view though.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Blythe, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel was by no means a five-star hotel, but it was so cute. The hotel staff was wonderful and friendly. The hotel is indeed in need of a few upgrades, but this town has rich history and when you go into the hotel, you can feel the history with each step. I did see a few other hotels that might have been worth looking into, but I am in no way complaining of my stay. I have traveled a great deal of places and have stayed in a great number of rooms, and I can say that I am pleased with my stay even up against the great hotels. I hope that while there are several bad reviews here about this hotel, the hotel is not as bad as it would seem. When next I return, I would love to stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel St. Lauren? Share your experiences!