“Lovely charming hotel, friendly staff, good location.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel St. Lauren to your Saves list
231 Beacon St., P.O. Box 2166, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Encinitas
“Lovely charming hotel, friendly staff, good location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We were looking for a place which would be willing to take us for just one night as we wanted to celebrate our anniversary in Avalon where we got married; many lodges require 2 nights on the weekend. We feel we were lucky to find the St Lauren available and we took a larger room with a panoramic view of the harbor and a jacuzzi tub. Also a plus are the nice bathrobes.
They did let us check into our room early which was very helpful and they offer complimentary baggage storage on checkout day so we had time to have coffee and shop before we had to catch the ferry.
I did read some reviews which were somewhat negative re; size of the room and I could only say that if you do opt for the larger rooms you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for patio or bay window
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

My family and I stayed at St. Lauren for Easter weekend. We came in on the early boat and we were welcomed by Jacob. When he realized how early we had come in he made sure that our room was cleaned and available as soon as possible. This was a huge relief given all the things we brought and having an 11 year old. Tim noticed we had brought our skateboards and recommended going to skate park and told us how to get there. We have been to Catalina many times and had no idea about the skate park and we were thrilled to learn something new. Our room was cosy and the view was stunning. The staff was so friendly. People like Jacob, Cristal, and Tim made our trip comfortable, relaxing, and stress free. Thank you we look forward to coming back again for my birthday in July!

Room Tip: I booked on Travelocity
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

The St. Lauren is conveniently located with in walking distance of the Catalina Express terminal. It is off the main street that has all the restaurants and shops, so is quiet but still convenient. The jewel in the crown is the rooftop deck on the sixth floor that overlooks the harbour and surrounding area. A great place to enjoy a glass of wine and snacks before heading out for dinner. All and all a great value.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011 via mobile

A last minute getaway trip for our anniversary during spring break and saw what a special deal St.Lauren had. It was called the "Secret Season Package" which included: 2 nights, 3 days, king size bed, had a pullout futon, a room that can fit up to 4 ppl. Round trip Catalina Express boat to and from Long Beach to Catalina Island. And a taxi to take us to our hotel and to take us back. Lastly, it included 2 tickets for the 45min. Glass Bottom Tour. All this for $316.00, tax included! To make it even better, my Bf mentioned it was our anniversary and they upgraded us to a balcony ocean view room! Plus, even though check in time was at 3pm, and we arrived at 11am, they had the room all ready for us and we were able to get the room early. There was a few hotels 4-6 buildings away that charged double and more!

The walk from the hotel to downtown was 2 minutes??? Everything was all within walking distance. Yes, the hotel is pink, it's super cute and very unique!   My Bf didn't seem to mind. :) Yes, it's up on a slight hill, unless your completely out of shape you will complain.  The hotel is out-dated but isn't everything else around this island too? The buildings and hotels around there been around since the 1800's.  For the price and service we received, I will definitely come back! Thank you staff of St.Lauren Hotel!

• Stayed April 2011
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Well, Im on the fence about this hotel. The staff is friendly, thats for sure. I have never stayed at a hotel that doesnt offer some sort of continental breakfast, and especially that they only offer coffee between 8-10AM in the lobby. BUT I will say, if you get a room facing an alley way, be sure to take advantage of the 6th floor patio, which we mostly had to ourselves to enjoy drinks and snacks that we purchased at the Vons straight down the way. This hotel is perfect walking distance to where ever you want to go! The area seems safe to walk around day or night.

If I were to stay at the St. Lauren again, I would most definately get the biggest room they offer, as ours was quite small. The rooms were a bit too small to do anything other than sleep in. The wallpaper made me feel like I was staying overnight at Grandmas house.

Overall, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the water pressure in the shower was really good. So if you are looking for a place that serves its purpose and nothing more, Don't hesitate to stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

This charming 6 story pink and white Victorian is perfectly located close to the main street, but far away enough to miss the noise. If you don't get a room with a balcony, you can enjoy the roof-top widow's walk patio to watch the boats come in, have BYOB cocktails and snacks or drink the morning coffee provided by the hotel. The room was very clean and furnishings in keeping with yesteryear style and comfy. Staff was great and there is a room to stash your stuff before check-in or after check-out while you explore the town until the ferry leaves. when we booked it, we had no idea it would be so nice and it really added to our enjoyment of the island.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
stlaurenmanagement, Manager at Hotel St. Lauren, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Donnalyn93101,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor.com regarding your recent stay at the Hotel St. Lauren. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful comments from our guests, about our hotel and about how our employees interact with our guests and provide the best customer service.

The employees of Hotel St. Lauren are known to provide “wow” service and sometimes management and guests do not take the time to acknowledge the fine service they provide. Thank you for reminding us that we do a good job.

Again, thank you for your comments and because of guests like you who care and takes time to write us we know that we are heading in the right guest service direction. We appreciated your comments and we thank you for staying at Hotel St. Lauren on the beautiful Catalina Island.

Kind regards,

Jacob Vanderwiel
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

After looking at all the good reviews I was compelled to write one. This place is horrible. Our room was dark, small,smelly, the window was broken, several fixtures in the bathroom were corroded, the carpet was dirty and I woke up with bug bites on my hand.

I asked to move my room but was told none were available as the manager had to take several out of service because they were in need of maintaince.

We had other family members traveling with us and their tv was broken and there was a big melted place on the carpet.

I stayed the night before at a much nicer hotel that cost much less. It served breakfast and was bug free. Need I say more...

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
March 30th 2011

Dear Happy_Travler_007,

Thank you for taking the time to inform me of your past visit here at the Hotel St. Lauren. I would like to personally apologize for our shortfalls, as it appears your recent stay was not up to your satisfaction with regards to a couple areas of the hotel.

I can certainly appreciate your frustration regarding the various occurrences during your stay. I assure you that it is my intention to look into each of these areas in more detail and follow-up with my fellow department heads. I have already followed up with the maintenance and housekeeping department to ensure that your comments are addressed and corrected immediately. In regards to moving rooms, unfortunatly the room type that was booked through the booking site did differ from the other individuals in your group. The room type that you had selected was not available on that given floor.

At the Hotel St. Lauren we pride ourselves on providing our guests with excellent guest services and the finest accommodations. We back our commitment to provide the best product and service that our hotel is known for. Occasionally we fall short of our own high standards and for this I do apologize.

As the General Manager, I want to apologize and assure you of the changes to improve our product and service. I will utilize your experience as a working tool to better improve ourselves. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you in the future. Again, thank you for your comments and thank you for staying at the Hotel St. Lauren we look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Jacob Vanderwiel
Hotel St. Lauren

Been to Hotel St. Lauren? Share your experiences!