“Nothing to complain about” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel St. Lauren
231 Beacon St., P.O. Box 2166, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Avalon
San Diego
“Nothing to complain about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

My wife and I have come to Catalina for the annual Jazz festival for the last 5 years and have tried several other higher ranked hotels listed for Avalon. We stayed at this hotel for the past 3 and will book it again next year.

We love this hotel for its charm and the killer views from the upper decks. It's hard for us to talk about value for the money because all hotel rates get raised during the festival weekend. But everything in Catalina is overpriced and most of the hotels are basic.

The hotel staff have always been helpful and friendly and we never had any problems. The location is great because it is not far from the town and it is much quieter.

• Liked — Great location and views of the harbor
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I waited too long to book a room on Catalina so the Hotel St. Lauren was actually my third choice. When I called they offered me a large room with a king sized bed and ocean view. Sounded great so I booked. Here are my thoughts after being charged $804.16 for two nights:

WHAT'S GOOD:
- The hotel looks very charming from the street.
- Check in was fast and professional.
- The view from the 6th floor deck is WONDERFUL.
- The location is great. Close to everything yet not TOO close.

WHAT'S NOT SO GOOD:
- The interior of the hotel seems a little tired and rundown.
- We noticed that the chair rail molding was installed upsidedown
all over the hotel.
- The primary colors in our room were maulve and blue. So 80's.
- Horrible fake maulve & blue flower arrangement in the room. So bad we hid it in the closet and took a picture for laughs.
- The iron is secured so tightly on the ironing board (to prevent stealing) that it's hard to use.
- You can't leave the bathroom door open because the fire alarms will go off.
- The breakfast is lacking for the price of the room. How about some fresh fruit or at least some muffins or something? Real milk or cream would be nice for the coffee. Not just powdered milk.
- Our room (201) wasn't what I would call OCEAN VIEW. Yeah you could see some water out there but mostly it was buildings, the street, and golf carts.
- Checkout was at 11:00AM and our ferry did not leave until 5:25PM. We were allowed to leave our luggage but only in an unsecured room. Anyone could walk in off the street and take what they wanted if they knew where to look. We d didn't like that at all.
Not a horrible place but it would be my first, second, or now third choice. Hope this helps.

• Liked — Roof Deck
  • Disliked — Outdated decor
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
costa mesa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

We arrived on Friday 2/16 at 11 am but check in time was not until 2 pm so we asked if we could check in our luggage. Front desk said to put it in this supposedly locked closet. We returned at 2 pm to find our laptop computers stolen. Someone had opened our luggage and stolen only the laptops and then zipped the bags closed again. I felt so violated. When I went to tell the hotel manager, she looked at me annoyed and tapped her pen against a gold sign that said 'Not Responsible for Lost Articles'. That is the response I got from this hotel. I had to call the police myself and file a complaint. Then to find out the closet area is not a locked area. The hotel staff told me to put my luggage in unsafe/unlocked area and then to find out that this area had a back door where anyone from off the street could have walked in. The hotel refused to take any responsibility. Also this hotel misrepresented itself, I made a reservation for the queen bed room w/ french doors, balcony and ocean view but when we arrived they said it was already taken. The stealing of my laptop ruined my weekend and I was stuck on this awful Island since it was a busy weekend. Also there is no DVD in the room so we rented a DVD player trying to have a relaxing but then the plug in the back of the TV was melted off. What kind of hotel is this? I DO NOT recommend this hotel, not even to my worse enemy.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dishonest staff and/or guests
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

We decided to visit Catalina on a spur-of-the-moment on a Saturday morning, flying in by private plane. I was able to get a room with ocean balcony - a bit steep, but it was last minute. All in all we were satisfied with the hotel - room was big enough, bed was comfy, bathroom nice & shower hot. Walked all over Avalon from here with no problem too. While it may not be the nicest, it's certainly fine - especially if you just wanna stay one night, which is plenty of time on Catalina!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
CALIFORNIA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

Just come back today. This is my first time writing a review but if it helps the next person then its worth it. Booked a standard room for my husband and I. Off rate price at $110 a night.
The room was small with dark dated decor. The room walls are so thin that I could here the gentleman going for a pee over my head while I sat in bed reading my book.....Nice...and those in the corridor sounded like they were inside the room.
The towels....lets face it. They had their day. Just a simple thing, but come on, towels are cheap. Everything about the place is cheap. The "stuff" in the lobby to eat in the morning is cheap.
I just think that who ever owns this hotel is cheap and making so much money....charging over $200 a room normal rate. Time to put it back into this beautiful building and look after its customers.
Would not stay again...Thanks for listening. I'm not a fussy person but I hate being ripped off.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

When booking a reservation, of course I did a little research as most people do. It was our first trip to Catalina and my husbands 40th birthday, so it had to be special. Into my research, I came across this website and was very curious to see people’s reviews. I was shocked to find such horrible things said about this hotel and couldn’t understand why this place was so awful. I decided to take a chance and booked a ocean view room with a balcony. The room was at a reasonable price too. So that was a plus. Not only were the rooms very clean but the staff was nice. They supplied us with more than enough towels, blankets, pillows etc. Our room was beautiful. I loved the decor of the room and our view was breath taking. I will say the rooms are small but not to the point where it made you claustrophobic, had a homier type feeling, which was nice. While talking to one of the staff, I was informed that the bathrooms were just redone and the old mattresses were replaced two years ago. Also, new window treatment was added last year. The hotel is right up the street from the main front, away from the noise of bars and night clubs. Not too far, everything we needed was a short 5min walk. The location is very peaceful, it was very easy to sit on the patio and read a book without being disturbed. Checking in and out was extremely easy and they even let us in our room early. They also have a storage area for your luggage, so you don’t have to hull it around. Especially, since we were on a late afternoon boat. So if you’re looking for a nice quiet get-a-way, the St. Lauren will suit your taste. They take care of your every need. Ignore all the bad reviews, sounds like "there’s always a problem" people. Thanks to the St. Lauren for making my first but not last trip to Catalina Island memorable.

• Stayed February 2006
san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

We recently stayed at this hotel. We had booked two room packages for party of 6 - room 1 with queen bed and room 2 with king bed and double futon. The front desk girl was very rude to us and was not ready to help us in anyways. We asked for a room at upper floors and she didnt want to give that even though the rooms were available (it was a weekday and only 40-50% of the rooms were occupied). Our package included - room, catamaran round trip, taxi fare, city and glass bottom boat tours. After we checked in, we were first little unhappy to see the small rooms. But the rooms were nicely decorated and clean. Beds are comfortable. The walls are very thin, so you can hear all the TV noise and people talking. We really liked the patio off the 6th floor. Great view. We used to pack our food from nearby cafe and seat in this patio , enjoy the view while eating. The hotel has nice location and walking distance to the main attractions. Looks very pretty from outside - pink peptobismol color. The free continental breakfast which is included with the room was served from 8-10am. They served only croissont and apples.. not enough to choose!
I would highly recommend getting the package deal instead of just rooms.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Hotel St. Lauren? Share your experiences!