“Great location, friendly staff, amazing ambiance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Portofino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Villa Portofino
You added Hotel Villa Portofino to your Saves list
111 Crescent Avenue, PO Box 127, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Special Price
Midweek 20% Discount
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
south florida
“Great location, friendly staff, amazing ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Went to Catalina this week on a whim and found the Limited Offer Package at this hotel. The website said rates started at $100 per person. Seemed like a good deal (included the boat trip from Pedro, a glass bottom boat trip, and one night). I think it ended up being $109 per person once tax was added.
The room was smaller than most I'm used to, but it was nice and clean. The staff was super friendly, and once I found out how much the boat ride was if I bought it on my own (over $60) I started realizing how good a deal we got.
We went in the quiet season so there wasn't as much to do. But most of my complaints have to do with the tours/restaurants being closed (which I'll post on separately). The staff at the hotel was at least very helpful in recommending the things to do during this time of tthe year.
I think this is a great place to go to if you're looking for a quiet location. It's near everything and the staff is nice. The rooms a bit small, (apparently we had the cheapest room - could've had a larger room if we paid more). But overall, was a great stay! :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Tustin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Portofino last October for Jazz Festival, purely through the reviews on Trip Advisor and it definitely exceeded our expectations. The staff was so helpful and friendly and knew everything there was to know about the town. The location was the best (towards the quiet part of front strip & walking distance from Jazz Fest), quiet enough to get a good night's sleep but just a short walk to all the action. We were received at the Lobby with a warm "welcome", the whole crew was friendly and helpful. I couldn't have wished for better customer service. Will definitely stay at the Hotel Villa Portofino for my next visit to Catalina Island and would recommend all my friends do the same.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I posted this before, but seems to have been accidentally deleted.

Made a reservation at Villa Portofino for the last week of Dec 2009. Bad experience from the start.

Problem 1:
Never received any confirmation and had to call to follow up. Turned out reservation had been incorrectly made for during the week, and to make it for the correct date, I would be charged $100 extra.

Problem 2:
Didn't want to pay such high rates during the off-season so canceled reservation and asked for a refund (they charge credit cards for the full amount immediately after booking). When making the reservation, I had been told I would be issued a full refund I canceled 7 days prior to the check-in date. However, when the refund came in, it was minus a mysterious reservation fee that had never been mentioned.
After being bounced around a couple employees, assistant manager Daniel tells me that this was part of the policy, and that I should have read the fine print on the website even though I had made the reservation over the phone with him and he had personally told me about the full refund.

Problem 3:
Couple friends called Villa Portofino during this time. each person was given a different rate, although the assistant manager assured me that the rate available on the website was the only one.

Summary:
Didn't stay there, but the whole partial refund/inconsistent rates was off-putting enough. Try the neighboring Metropole instead!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
trvlr20
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Without a doubt I would recommend this hotel to friends, family and other travelers. Customer service is of utmost importance to me and the staff at this location is first rate. I simply cannot say enough about the welcoming, friendly tone of each person on staff that I encountered; from reservation to check-out. Staff was very accommodating and generous with sharing local knowledge about where to go and what to do. I have stayed in hotels with bigger rooms, but the space afforded by the rooms here is plenty comfortable and makes for a cozy atmosphere. The freshly baked goods for the continental breakfast are outstanding.

Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

I knew ahead of time that the rooms were small, but so is Avalon. Lets keep it real, when you are visiting a vacation area, how much time are you in your room. The VP is centrally located and with great views of the harbor and Crescent Avenue. What I liked about the patio area is the spontaneous interaction among the guest staying there as the rooms all open onto a common area. There are hotels with larger rooms, but not as close to the harbor as the VP. I will without doubt stay there again and recommend the VP to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We were able to get a room here at the last minute during the jazz festival. Person I spoke with over the phone warned me that room was small. We were very pleased with our stay. Room was small, but decorated nicely and was well-appointed. Sun deck has beautiful views - great spot to enjoy your morning coffee or a drink in the evening. Continental breakfast was excellent - included scones and croissants.

Hotel is at the less crowded/noisy end of Crescent Ave so it was very quiet. Also conveniently located across from golf cart rental, right near a grocery store, and restaurants, etc.

Our room faced the courtyard and the only downside was that there were no screens on the window or door. If you want fresh air in the room, you have to leave the outer door open and close the inner sliding door which doesn't lock.

Overall we were very impressed - especially with such short notice. This is one of the few places on the island that allows you to stay just one night and it's relatively affordable compared to other hotels. Originally we intended to return to the mainland that same day if we couldn't find a room. We were glad to be able to enjoy a nice dinner and go back to our room afterwards.

Britni3127
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

we made our first trip over to catalina and had a great time! This hotel has a GREAT location. You dont have to walk much to get to where you want to go if you stay here. (some other hotels you have to hike up hills to get to!) It was pretty expensive but everything over there is. The room was small but good enough. After all you arent in your hotel room that much when you vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple