“Clean but very small” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Portofino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Villa Portofino
111 Crescent Avenue, PO Box 127, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Avalon
SAN DIEGO
“Clean but very small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I ended up booking this hotel after reading reviews from most hotels on Catalina. I wanted clean and newer, and this hotel fit the bill. However, that being said, the room was soooo small. Plus I booked late and only had the option of a queen size bed with the addition of a futon for our son. There starts the problem. The "futon" is foam piece about 2 inches thick with a sheet and blanket. That being said, that was much more comfortable than the cement slab referred to as a bed my husband and I slept on. I never missed my own bed so much, I have slept better when camping and sleeping on an air mattress. As for the "free wi fi", another mis-momer.... signal was either unfindable or too weak to do any business, plus they said they would charge after 24 hours, be sure to fight that! Personnel were nice, continental breakfast nice, great place at the end of the noise of main drag of Catalina. Just be prepared for what you are getting for the money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Just got home tonight from a 2 day stay at the VP, and think their staff is fantastic! Location is excellent as well- right across the street is beach access. We both loved it- think it is a good value for the price, and we loved the sun deck, good continental breakfast, and helpful staff. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed here for a one night getaway. The room was small but very cute and cosy. The sundeck is fantastic and a really good place to relax and take in a view of the bay.
Catalina is beautiful and I recommend a bus trip into the interior of the island. We saw the buffalo and the airport in the sky - just fantastic.
For a romantic break, this is the perfect place and the Hotel Villa Portofino is wonderful. They allowed us to check in really early and leave our bags until we were leaving the next day. They gave us information about the island and directions to a restaurant for dinner. Lovely people. Lovely little hotel.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The Villa Portofino was absolutely lovely! I felt I was in a Mediterranean hotel. Beautiful courtyard for relaxing. Our favorite spot was the sunroof. We spent a lot of time relaxing in the chaise lounges, reading our favorite books and enjoying the spectacular scenery of Avalon.

The staff of this hotel was extremely accommodating. They really worked with us on making a last minute reservation. And they went out of their way to accommodate my husband who has MS and uses a scooter.

The restaurant was fantastic. The best bolognese sauce ever! Very nice service and beautiful atmosphere. I highly recommend dining outside with a view of the waterfront.

Villa Portofino and Avalon are right up there with the most beautiful places in the world. We had a very relaxing two days as a break from our more hectic vacation in San Diego. I highly recommend this beautiful, friendly place.

ADVICE FOR HANDICAPPED OR MOBILITY CHALLENGED PEOPLE: If you have mobility challenges but are able to walk a small amount, this hotel is probably the best choice on the island for you because it is on the main street closest to the water. As you go away from the water, you are going up a hill, and a lot of the other hotels are on hills. If you are using a scooter/wheelchair, you know how difficult that is. You can go out the front door of this hotel right onto the waterfront without encountering any hills. All the streets are paved, so your scooter/wheelchair can have access to the entire main street of the town.

If you are staying at Villa Portofino, you can park your scooter in the courtyard just to the side of the stairs. It is covered and a safe place to leave it. There are a couple of rooms on the ground floor right beside the stairs, so the scooter would be outside your door.

If you are able to do a flight of stairs, there is one flight up to the next level. This is what they call the courtyard level. The king rooms are on this level. There is a side entrance to this level that hotel staff recommends as a handicap entrance.

However, the hill up to that level is very steep. I'd be afraid of burning out the scooter's motor (that happened to us in San Diego--but you know best what your scooter can handle). Plus there is a very large lip at the door from the street that looked dangerous to me. Fortunately, my husband is able to use the stairs (very carefully). So we just parked the scooter on the ground level and walked upstairs to our room. But if you can't do the stairs, you could get a room at ground level. I believe those rooms have two double beds.

If you are totally confined to a wheelchair, I don't know if this hotel could work for you. The rooms are quite small. I don't know if you would be able to get around in a wheel chair inside the room. Plus, I don't believe any of the rooms had roll-in showers. I don't know if you could find that accommodation on Catalina.

My best advice is to call and talk to the personnel. They are eager to help and they can best advise you on what to do. Be sure to tell them your specifi needs. They'll do whatever they can.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife and I looked up all the Avalon Hotels and we choose this one because of the name Hotel Portofino.
The rooms were a bit small but tastefully done. Our King room was light and airy. Since we were out an about all day it was a quiet oasis to recoup from our long walks. Located toward the Casino side of Avalon it doesn't get the noise from the watering holes in the center of town. Mid-week is really the best time to go because crowds were small. Check out their specials after the 'season' is over - from late September to early April. Good rooms for less. While the rooms are smoke-free, the courtyard is not so you will get some smoke from some guests. Highly recommend this.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The Villa Portofino was a lovely, quiet hotel on the waterfront - just what we needed. We were "upgraded" to one of their named suites when there appeared to be a problem with the room we had booked. The room was a good size, with a separate seating area and a fireplace. The bathroom was spacious.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Escondido, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We spent three great days on Catalina with some long time friends. We chose the Hotel Portofino because they were offering a great package. The hotel is lovely but the rooms are very small.The continental breakfast was way above average and the entire staff was extremely helpful.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Villa Portofino? Share your experiences!