“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Portofino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Villa Portofino
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Discovery Bay, Ca.
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The best location in all of Avalon. We stayed in the large suite overlooking the bay. Spectacular view and even though its on the main blvd, it was quiet when we shut the slider doors. I highly recommend staying here. Clean, friendly staff, and again....the view!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Tinley Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Excellent CLEAN hotel with a very nice staff. They are located right near everything we wanted to do, shopping, dining, and snorkeling. The room was clean and well kept. The bathroom had a tub which surprised me because reading other reviews a lot of them said they only had a shower at their hotel. The sink and mirror is outside from the tub and toilet so that helps when multiple people need to get showered and ready to go out. We had 3 people, two adults and a 12 year old. We got the queen with a futon. The futon was a thick piece of foam with bedding that was brought in for sleeping for the 12 year old. It worked out great and we all had a good nights sleep. They also held our luggage upon arrival and at departure so that we could explore the island. We made a reservation for their restaurant upon arrival and I'm so glad that we did because it was delicious ! If we didn't have the reservation I don't think we would've been able to get in. The only thing I would recommend to the staff is that they should go on the hotel website and navigate it like they are a guest so that they know what their guests see. We made snorkeling reservations through a link on their website but they didn't seem to know much about it. They did however do their best to lead us where we needed to go. I'd love to go back to Catalina and if I do I know I will be staying at Hotel Villa Portofino. There is no reason to look anywhere else! If you go I also recommend the Jeep Eco Tour through the Conservatory. It was AWESOME !

North Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Portofino. We have stayed there before and always really enjoy it. Their location in Avalon is ideal for us. Close to some really fine restaurants (including their own), shops, Descanso Beach, Casino, etc. The rooms are very clean and inviting. Really exceptional continental breakfast with fresh fruit, scones, croissants, muffins and juice. Their coffee is excellent! The staff is always willing to help out. The patio next to our room with chairs and umbrella were so nice to sit in and read in the evening or morning. The sun deck has a fantastic view of the Casino, marina and town. They offer big beach towels and sun chairs. There is a shuttle across from the hotel that goes to Descanso Beach. It starts at 11:30 a.m. and comes by every 15 minutes. There are other shuttles that go there too but we only used the shuttle for Descanso Beach. I feel there is great value in this hotel and have recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 which has a few stairs to it. If you have mobility problems, it may be a good...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I grew up in Southern California. I have been to Catalina many times but it had been a while since I had been in Avaion. Heading over on a Friday evening on a warm weekend just took all the stress away! The Villa Portofino was a great place to stay! Upgraded bathroom, amazing location right on the main thoroughfare overlooking the bay. The windows opened floor to ceiling but my only complaint was there was no balcony. A Nespresso machine in the lobby would top off an expensive rate... but everything is!

Room Tip: any of the ocean front suites.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our first time to travel to Catalina Island. Nine of us went for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. This hotel was in the perfect location (walking distance to everything), had a nice patio dining for the complimentary cont.breakfast, very friendly staff and fairly priced. We loved that are rooms were located very close together. The view of the water was fantastic. The staff was extremely friendly.....I was desperate for a safety pin and they even helped me out with that! We will be back.....this was one of the best trips our family has ever taken together and Hotel Villa Portofino made that possible!

Room Tip: We really liked the rooms down on first level: quick in/out when getting stuff out of rooms. My par...
Los Angels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The location, the staff, the overall experience at the Hotel Villa Portofino can not be beat. In fact, my wife and I are already looking forward to next summers stay. Book a room at this hotel anytime during the warm months and expect to have a wonderful time in Avalon. This hotel has a sun deck that is perfect for sharing a nice bottle of wine and watch the sun set across the marina. When the shadow covers the pier we know its time to finisch that last glass and head for dinner. For fun in the sun there is nothing like Descanso Beach, and we recommend the newest dinning experience at the Blue Water (try the Salty Caramel martini). At the Potofino Luis is very courteous and very helpful with your day and nightime planning.

Room Tip: There are two rooms that are not suites, but have windows overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay here! Great room (BelleVista) and great service. Would highly recommend it. Convenient to downtown Shops and Dining. The service was wonderful. The hotel had a nice continental breakfast, beach towels, beach chairs and always had great recommendations.

Room Tip: Belle Vista had a wonderful wrap around balcony with harbor view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Villa Portofino? Share your experiences!