“Tour Guide Rushed Us Through” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 60 Activities in Avalon
More attraction details
Owner description: Step back in time 70 years to an era when big band leaders were king and “talkie” motion pictures were the latest fad. Put yourself in the footsteps of the performers and crew who made the Casino one of the most exciting places on earth.The Casino building is a working theater, ballroom, and concert hall to this day. Focusing on the cultural history of the building, this one-of-a-kind tour brings you unprecedented access to backstage areas that very few people are allowed to see; including the "green" room and editing room.
San Diego, CA, USA
“Tour Guide Rushed Us Through”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went on the behind the scenes tour yesterday, May 27, (Memorial Day). I am an old movie buff and therefore knew I would enjoy the Casino Tour with it's big band era ballroom and old movie theater. The tour is advertised as a 90 minute $25.00 tour. Our guide Jessica Herzog was knowledgeable, but was also clearly in a rush. The tour pace felt harried and we had little to no time to stop and truly look at the details in the projector room, backstage rooms and the few but interesting wall displays with details of old movies, movies filmed on the island, etc.

Jessica moved us through quickly enough to end the tour in 60 minutes instead of the advertised 90. Again, as much as we enjoyed the tour, we found the rushed attitude of the tour guide disappointing, as we didn't get to truly enjoy the various exhibits as much as we could have had the tour truly been for its advertised duration. Therefore, I am rating this poor and would have rated it higher had we not felt so rushed.

Visited May 2013

Alhambra, California
“Soo much history and beauty at the Casino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First of all, Jessica P. was our tour guide and she was amazing. Not only was she knowledgable but she made the tour very interesting. She shared a lot of stories, even a personal story about one event I believe called the Derby Days...how she listened to the radio show before she knew what it was until she got to work at the Casino and saw a picture of the event she heard on the radio. Being a couple who loves history, she really impressed us and gave us a lot of background to the Casino. The Ballroom was BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING and the view from there are ever lasting. Again Thanks you and I recommend this tour.

Visited May 2013
Cool, California
17 attraction reviews
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you are trying to decide between this and the regular, cheaper Casino tour, definitely choose to spend a little more and go on the Behind the Scenes Casino tour. It is well worth the money and you see and experience so much more. JOE is an awesome guide, he is quite knowledgeable and a great sense of humor. He made the difference between a "good" and "excellent" rating. He makes history enjoyable as it should be.

Visited March 2013
Studio City, California, United States
“Interesting History Lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I think this tour is a must for anyone visiting Catalina. The Casino holds so much history and this tour can take you back to a time when this building was the place to be and be seen. The balcony off the ball room is an amazing spot for picture taking! We will tell everyone to take this tour when they visit.

Visited January 2013
Thousand Oaks, California
“Somewhat bad customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Booked the Behind the Scenes Casino Tour for Sunday January, 6. Paid good money for it. Showed up on time and was informed that the tour was cancelled because of the tour guide illness. The lady at the window was expremely pleasant. She immediately refunded my money and gave me a pass for the museum. I rate her a 4 Star. I rate the tour a 0-1 star and hence the 2 star rating. I understand that this is a small island but there should have been a back-up guide. This was the first time that my wife and I went to Catalina and I don't know when we might go back. We were looking very much forward to the tour. Instead we saw nothing. There were people working in the Casino at the time and it might have been offered for us to just take a quick look at the theater and ballroom just to get a quick idea of what it was like. But nothing.

Visited January 2013