“I got married here on the patio overlooking the bay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel
You added Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel to your Saves list
199 Chimes Tower Road, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
las vegas
“I got married here on the patio overlooking the bay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2005

I got married here in May, 2000. I visited again in 2003. It had not changed which can be a good thing. I'm from Las Vegas where everything seems to be disposable and it's nice to be able to come back to the same thing over and over again. I've been going to Catalina every couple of years for about thirty years. The Zane Grey is situated on the top of a very big hill. The view is breathtaking. That is why I wanted to get married here. It seems like you can see forever and the pictures came out really good. But, keep in mind that there is fog almost EVERY DAY until about noon or 1:00 p.m. This is true in all of So. Cal. and Catalina is no exception. Don't get all bent up about it just appreciate it and when it rolls out to sea and reveals the beautiful bay you will appreciate it that much more. The rooms are very motelish. No TV or phone, tiny bathrooms, no AC (although you don't need it because of the ocean breeze), cheap carpet, cheap bed. Mine collapsed as soon as I sat on it upon checking in. The manager came in and fixed or replaced it (not sure because I left the room) and then it didn't fall again but it was not comfortable. Let's just say that I was not impressed with it on my wedding night. I got married on the porch overlooking the bay. I had about 15 guests. No more would possibly fit. So, keep this in mind. We asked if we could use the benches from the pool area for our guests. They reluctantly said yes but made sure that we did not touch those benches until just a few minutes before the ceremony. They were nice enough to let me have my wedding there free of charge (We stayed three nights for $500.00). but they were not helpful or friendly in the slightest. In fact, they seemed really put out whenever we asked them anything. But, I am pretty independent so it was okay with me. I know that I could have gone to another hotel, paid a FORTUNE, and been waited on hand and foot. I knew what I was getting into here and I am satisfied. After the wedding, the entire wedding party, led by me, walked all the way down to and through Avalon, snapping pictures along the way, to our reception site at a tiny Italian Bistro. This walk was the highlight of the trip and we got our most beautiful photos along the way. I felt like a princess leading my procession. People honked along the way and it was wonderful. I do not regret getting married at the Zane Grey. It's beautiful in it's own way. The rooms could use some improvement. It's peaceful and quiet and cool because of the ocean breeze. Our best man and maid of honor stayed in town and their room did not have AC either and they were hot!! Not us. It's a beautirul walk up the hill and there is free transportation as well as taxi's that will take you for about five bucks.

• Stayed May 2000

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

We just got back from a Monday through Friday stay at the Zane Grey. Price was absolutely great; $55 or so per day during the week. We had a mild Santa Ana blowing offshore so the weather was incredible; sunny and warm with a mild breeze. We stayed in the "Wanderer" Room with an ocean view on the top veranda. We spent hours on the veranda above the pool looking out over the cruise ships and the harbor. I had some kind of flu so we spent a fairly slow week. The view from the patio outside the common living room was equally fantastic. The cruise ships were a new feature for me as the last time we went to Avalon there weren't any. The town was deserted on the days the ships weren't in. We had a fun time watching the election returns in the common room and eating Antonio's Pizza; some of the best pizza we have ever had. Tony Baloney's singing on the patio of the restaurant in the afternoon sunshine was wonderful. The rental golf cart tour can't be missed and the miniature golf course was alot of fun. The Zane Grey had REALLY small bathrooms; my wife hated them but I didn't mind. The rooms are nothing to write home about. The coffee every morning with the view was very nice. We kept leftovers and beer in the fridge which worked out great for us. I borrowed a couple of books from the Zane Grey library and almost finished them both. Zane Grey is an absolute favorite of mine; somewhat like Hemingway; an absolutely obsessed fisherman. I felt right at home!

Orange County CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2004

This isn't the place to go for a quick weekend. No waking up Friday, deciding to go over for a two-nighter on the weekend. They require a THREE NIGHT MINIMUM stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2004

We always stay at the Zane Grey when my wife and I go to Catalina. We've never been disappointed. Some pros and cons to consider: PROS - best views overlooking Avalon and the ocean, nice pool, quiet (except for chiming belltower ajacent to hotel), good service, free taxi to/from town, free use of fridge/microwave (makes heating up your leftovers from last night's dinner easy). CONS - rooms are clean but very rustic, not a lot of amenities (no phones/TV in rooms), bathrooms are typically VERY small even for 1 person, you have a long uphill hike to the hotel if you miss the taxi, rooms on canyon side have lousy views and get very warm from the sun. BOTTOM LINE: great hotel if you want to get away and relax, don't need a lot of amenities, and want a place far from the noise of downtown.

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2004

We spent some time at the Zane Grey recently, and couldn't have been happier with the experience. Because it's high up on the hillside, we felt like we had left the US; the panoramic views of the harbor, the sea and the town are more like a Mediterranean Villa than a California beach town. It's definitely a bit of a hike up the hill from town, but we enjoyed getting the exercise. Walk the circular Chimes road -- you'll get great views of nearby Descanso Beach and the inland areas.

The inn is less like staying at a hotel and more like staying at the home of a wealthy relative. The rooms are really bedrooms with a closet transformed into a bathroom. This means the bathroom is TINY! But everything is very clean and even though it isn't luxury, it's still pleasing to the eye in a simple way.

The hotel manager makes it very clear that she's not there to satisfy your every whim, and you need to be fairly self-sufficient at entertaining yourself. Bring all the info you'll need with you, like maps, brochures, schedules, lists of restaurants, etc.

Overall, if you want a quiet, romantic little hideaway to just hang out and relax, then the Zane Grey will be perfect for you. But if you want to be in the lap of luxury and enjoy exquisite service, then you'd be better served staying elsewhere, like the Inn at Mt. Ada.

• Stayed August 2004