“Best View in Avalon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel
You added Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel to your Saves list
199 Chimes Tower Road, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California
“Best View in Avalon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We spent our first wedding anniversary at the end of October at Zane Grey, which is a lovely bed and breakfast in a "historic" property high atop Avalon. Although the rooms are old and the breakfast is not special, the view is the best possible. It is worth every penny to see all of Avalon from your room and the associated patios - the sunset and starry nights are outstanding from all areas of the hotel. It is a long walk up and down hill from the restaurants and shops, but that is great exercise in a beautiful area - if you're not up for the walk, rent a golf cart! The amenities at Zane Grey are lacking (not great bath products, old bathroom and bedroom, no hottub), but the character and ambiance at the hotel provides for a unique experience not to be forgotten. I really enjoyed the common room. The staff are very friendly and laid-back...it was easy for my Mom in Santa Barbara to send us flowers. We recommend staying here rather than staying at the very very expensive B&Bs in the city that don't have the great view.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Redlands, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Despite mixed reviews from folks wanting more activity during their stay, we found the Zane Grey Pueblo to be delightfully serene midst the popular Jazz Festival going on. If you are looking for a hotel with satellite TV where you can keep in touch with the world off this island getaway, then the hotel is not for you. Moreover, if you'd rather be bombarded by the sounds of the island's nightlife, then this hotel is not for you.

But if you want a quiet getaway with some of the best views of Avalon, then you've discovered the right place. It's a great getaway for lovers and those wanting the serenity that made Zane Grey build his wonderful Pueblo.

But you'll have to wait for the new owner's renovations taking place since the Hotel was to close on November 1, 2013. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Mountain views are best value but the best rooms are on the ground floor on the ocean side. No fitn...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Booking the Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel I was somewhat taken aback from an odd posting about unhappiness with the amenities, after our arrival I can honestly eay put that to rest. THE Zane Grey Pueblo is a true lovers getaway, but if your looking to be entertained then stay down the hill....this place is for those who are looking to get away and enjoy the ambience.

Upon our arrival we were met by the hotel manager who really set the tone to enjoy the hotel as it were home. After an hour of soaking up the sun on the deck I wqs greated by a large 5 point black tail deer who was standing beside my chair chewing on the banana peel I had laid down. I LEARNED HIS NAME IS JACKSON.

We enjoyed the beautiful view from on high above Avalon, the morning hikes, the evening dining, the morning champagne we bought to enjoy on the deck, and the relaxing pool...Thank you Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel....we will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Well, I don't know where to start. We stayed there for one night and when we left there was a 1hour 20 minute boat ride back to Dana Point and a 8 hour drive home and during that time I was looking for a work that would describe Zane Gray and the only thing I could come up with is "SUCKS". When we arrived we were given this long talk about being quiet, for a moment I flashed back to my childhood and then came the room. It was run down, walls where cracked and it was very small. There were wicker chairs in the room which where not very strong and the bed was hard as a rock. The restroom was in a closet, about the size of 8'x4'. I'm a tall guy, 6'5" and there was not enough room between the toilet and sink for my to use the toilet. When we first check in, we both wanted a shower due to the salt spray from the boat ride and the water was turned off due to some kind of maintenance going on. The sliding windows did not lock at all and if you had any kind of valuables anyone could get in if they wanted. We sat pool side for a while and we counted 8 stray cats that could come and go. You would have to keep your door closed or they would get in. They where not the healthiest animals around. In the morning, breakfast or lack of one, the statement on the web site about fresh coffee or anything else is a joke. There was a pot of hot water and instant coffee that was in a big clump due to the humidity and that was all there was for morning hours. We had a wonderful time on the Island, very friendly people all over the place and when we said that we are staying at the Zane people would laugh. That hotel has a reputation of being the trash place of the island. I'm so glad we stayed just one night and next time we will find another hotel. Yes, the views are great but you can walk there and take pictures like everyone does. Don't waste your money on this hotel, their is a lot of nicer places in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hacienda Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was excited to come to the Zane Grey. I have wanted to come but always had my children. I knew this was a quiet hotel. So I decided to go on my birthday and get all the free things on the island for my birthday. The taxi drove me to the hotel. The room was ready early and the attendant was friendly. The attendant brought my bags to my room. (down the stairs) My room was righty called " Lonely Trails" ha ha. I had come alone. The names of the rooms are call after books Zane Grey wrote. I was pleased with the room it had new carpet. It was clean and like a pueblo. I swam the pool and sat on the deck that overlooks the mountains ,casino and water! There is a refrigerator for all the patrons, you write your name on the items, with universal lock. It had a family atmosphere. The rooms not big and don't have a lot of frills. What it has is old world charm, quiet, nice pool, great views, good customer service,small breakfast, the best price on the island! There is so much to do here I parasailed, zip lined, bus tour, massage, bowled, golfed, Snooba, Ho, two dear came to visit by the pool one morning!

Room Tip: all the rooms have views, some have water view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel with all the modern amenities, such as internet service, telephone, television, room service, a fitness center, or even an in room refrigerator; then give the Zane Grey a pass. But be warned that you will be passing up a truly unique and satisfying experience. Located high above Avalon, the pueblo style former home of Zane Grey has an unparalleled view of the harbor and the town. When my fiancée saw the view from the sun porch, she said that she didn't have to move the rest of the day. And when I went down the steps to use the pool, I came face to face with a deer that had stopped to take a drink from the Koi pond. We had an Oceanside room, and the view was breathtaking. Upon checking-in, you are given a key to the refrigerator on the pool deck. The ice machine consists of baggies of ice in the freezer compartment. And staff is very accommodating. The sink and toilet are in one small space, and the shower is in another; but if that is going to bother you, then stay home. My fiancée and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Zane Grey, and we look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: The Purple Sage
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My recent experience at the Zane Grey Pueblo hotel was a delight. I felt as if I was living an adventure in historic Catalina. When you arrive at this jewel, you feel you have been transported back in time. The views from this hotel are visually stunning, and the rooms give the feeling of coming home. Thank you to the staff for the old school family atmosphere, they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. This is not just a vacation, it is a life experience. Put it on your bucket list and make sure to check it off!

Room Tip: Wonderful pool to relax after your day of adventure.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel? Share your experiences!