“Catalina from a different view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel
199 Chimes Tower Road, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Avalon
California
“Catalina from a different view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We went to the Zane Grey Hotel on the off season (April). Prices were very reasonable & allowed us to stay 2 nights, beautiful views from hotel--ocean and harbor.

Room Tip: No fitness center, BUT the walk up/down the hill was GREAT EXERCISE. Ocean view rooms were excellen...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Accrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have stayed twice at this lovely hotel , and hope I can visit again, when the opportunity comes . It has an atmosphere that can't be put into words. It is such a relaxing and calming place to be in. It has it's own pace, which is just right. The views and the joy of being at this hotel and island, will stay with you forever.

Andrew & Wendy Accrington , England

Room Tip: All rooms have their own qualities. The sea views speak for themselves.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I wouldn't change anything about the Zane Gray Hotel. I guess you could say it is a little rustic, but after all, it is a pueblo built over 75 years ago, so it's supposed to be like that. Lots of genuine character (not the phony theme park kind), large rooms, very clean and comfortable, windows that actually open (!). I guess you could spend some improvement $$ on this or that, but it wouldn't make any difference in my opinion. I like it just the way it is. My wife and I stayed here in early April 2012 with my 85 year old dad and two teen kids. It was very tranquil midweek with few other guests. We didn't mind the walk to and from town, but the way up was a little steep for my old man, and a taxi is $10 for all of maybe 2/3 mile. But we hope to come back in the fall after the summer crowds are gone, grandpa included.

Room Tip: We had both an ocean view and canyon view room -- both were nice and had their pros and cons. Rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cuba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

This place smells like old socks left in your attic for last 100 years.
Breakfast? Make sure to bring your own food because you will be disappointed by the 2 pieces of old bread and jelly that is provided. Also, the cats seem to be happy here but not me.
Stay away, unless you enjoy staying in a smelly musty old room with dirty carpets for the weekend.
Oh yeah I forgot, once i payed online and clicked submit, a window opened telling me there is no TV, No heated pool, No nothing!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

During my trip, I needed to stay one night in a cheap hotel and I booked here. I think it has all the basic amenities and some advantages: good view (it is on a hill, so expect to walk up for a couple of blocks), continental breakfast, nice and charming ambiance and spacious rooms.
Couple of warnings: No TV and some rooms could not be too private, due the several windows you have. Other than that, you might like your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for those in a corner to keep your privacy
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Tripadvisor reviews led us to this quiet hotel for a night. The surprise was the sense of history in the whole town. Wrigley, of the chewing gum, really established the village. The name Avalon was their choice. But I digress, the hotel (houses of Zane Grey and his brother), overlooks the whole village, is quiet and neat. Don't expect modern conveniences. It does have a pool.
You have to make your own way to and from the village, an easy walk for a normally fit person. There are taxis and the golf carts are for hire, also electric bikes.
Excellent restaurants in the village - a delighful waterfront. Plenty of things to do, or just breathe in the history.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Gig Harbor, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This hotel had what I wanted, quiet, sun decks, view, flowers and budget price. ( $75 mid week.)
What I hadn't expected was there was NO shuttle, as advertised, and the uphill walk was an exausting 25 minutes. They do offer a free shuttle to and from the boat upon arrivel and departure, but NONE to get to Avalon for meals, activities, shopping, and a cab was $10 each way and I was staying three nights. The breakfast consisted of toast, coffee, tea period, and a common frig, microwave and TV. My heart fell when I arrived at the dingy room but the sun came out and I was able to spend all of my time on the two decks reading and sunning which is mainly what I had come for. I didn't find the staff very helpful or motivated but all in all for the price and spectacular view I would stay again.

Room Tip: I had "The Purple Sage" room facing the water and it did have a great view. Ask ahead if t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel? Share your experiences!