“Friendly Historic Hotel on Catalina Island” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Catalina
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Whittley Avenue, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Huntington Beach
“Friendly Historic Hotel on Catalina Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I recently stayed at this great little Hotel on Catalina Island. Pros, Service was very friendly and accommodating, we were allowed to check in very early, as our room had been made ready for us. The room was clean and had modern amenities such as a flat screen TV, but was still Victorian in feel and decor, which, brings me to the point of, if you are looking for a big modern roomy hotel room, this place is not for you. In the late 18 and early 1900's, they weren't all about big and roomy!! As with all locals on Catalina Island, you are never very far from Restaurants, shops and activities! The hotel is a fair hike from the dock where the boats drop off, so if you have a lot of luggage or aren't much for walking a lot, then you might want to use a cab (there are plenty waiting when you exit the boat!). I have no negative comments about this hotel, it was quiet, the staff were friendly and helpful and the accommodations were clean and comfortable!! Just be aware of the "type" of hotel this is (Historic and old world) and that it is a little bit of a hike from the dock (We did fine with two bags, but we were only staying one night), otherwise, I highly recommend it! Have fun, you will love Catalina Island!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Excellent location one block off main street. Rooms were very nice and clean. The hotel staff especially front desk were beyond helpful and accomodating. I would highly recomend this location.

Room Tip: Away from the front is quiter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

It was our wedding anniversary and my Husband brought me to Catalina Island for our visit and we've decided to stay at Hotel Catalina. Martha had helped my Husband with the planning of the trip and I am very, very pleased with our stay. The staff is wonderful and friendly and Martha is exceptional! My Husband and I appreciate the hospitality and I was also VERY happy with our room! They had a nice jetted tub and such a beautiful room-it was a perfect little get away stay. We try to make it a trip to Catalina once a year and I got to enjoy it this time around for my anniversary and also stay at a great hotel. We loved it very much. Thank you Martha & your staff...we will visit again!

C.M.
San Diego, CA

• Stayed April 2012
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The hotel old, but it looks like some new additions have been made to the old rooms. The furniture, frig., tv, bed, and bedding all look new. The carpet? Not too sure. Looks like it, but never know. I guess if you're not expecting anything fancy, this is the place. I'm glad the bed & bedding was new! Just some fall backs: the bathroom is very, very small; the shower lacks a light (a bit dark); the bathroom is also slippery when you get out, so make sure to put a towel on the ground; the walls seemed to be paited over molded, but again, not too sure; and not phones in the rooms to call the front desk or anyone for that matter.

Also, the 1st night we stayed in a mountain view room & the 2nd night in a standard room. There really isn't a difference in the rooms, only that you get a mountain view, which with all honesty, isn't much of a view. Besides, you're there to expore the island and not stay in the hotel. The mountain view also had an acutal closet w/a closet door. The standard room had a built-in, open closet, only thing, the hangers hit the wall, so it's leaning against the wall as opposed to hanging. The standard room also had a heater built in the wall, which is great because it seemed to be a bit more chilly when we entered.

One more thing to mention, the hotel does not have an elevator, so prepare to lug all your luggages if you get a top floor room, which I'm guess has the best views if you're to pay for it.

Room Tip: Between the mountain view room & the standard room, just save some money & get the standard...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
KrisGLBC, General Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
As of January 2012 we are pleased to announce that the Hotel Catalina is now under New Management. Come visit & experience our New European style Courtyard Garden Wing.
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I really don't know what these reviews were talking about... I recently stayed at the Hotel Catalina Garden suites and got a brand new remodeled room, ocean view and a brand new kitchen in the hotel. Flat screen TV's and super good service. They must have changes something, from the other reviews, because I would totally recommended. By the way, my WiFi was fine too. It was super close to everything! And I would come back again! Oh yeah... I got discounts to some restraints from them too!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Buena Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were treated with genuine hospitality by all of the staff. Expedia had messed up our reservations at another hotel, and boy were we happy (after the typical disappointment). Our room was on the top floor with a great view. We WILL be back!
As an addendum to the above (I've been back many times since writing that), we LOVE Hotel Catalina. If you like gorgeously refurbished turn-of-the century architecture, Hotel Catalina is for you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The hotel was very clean, nice bathroom and comfortable bed. The staff is very friendly and helpful.
I travelled with a group of co-workers and had a great time. We got coupons for restaurants. Catalina island is a very nice place to spend some days off relaxing. The sightseeing of dolphins and sea lions is awesome.
Arianne