“Beautiful but pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vista Del Mar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Vista Del Mar
You added Hotel Vista Del Mar to your Saves list
417 Crescent Ave., Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Special Offer
Fall Favorites!
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
“Beautiful but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great but it was pricey. We stayed in the Avalon courtyard suite in September. It was very lovely and clean. Fresh pastries in the morning. I just think the room was way over priced at 425 a night plus taxes and fees.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Recently a friend and I ventured to Catalina Island for our first visit and my Birthday treat. We stayed at the Vista Del Mar and were pleasantly rewarded with a spectacular view of the Casino Icon and the variety of floating vessels. The staff was exceptional with our check in, allowing us to store our luggage and call my cell when our room was ready. Our room was very appealing with a unique décor, spacious and the shower was perfect with a tiled bench to sit on and soak to your hearts content. All in all I would definitely stay here in our future visits.

Room Tip: You will have to climb stairs. No elevator available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

First and foremost, the staff at Hotel Vista Del Mar are incredibly kind, polite and accommodating. Rooms are not guaranteed until 3pm but they have a free baggage check so you explore the island until your room is ready -- in our case, they called my cell and we were able to check in an hour and a half early.

We stayed in a Courtyard Deluxe room, which was spacious and clean. Our room (107) was next to a supply closet so there was the occasional bump or knock but nothing to complain about. If I have an issue it is the layout of the hotel is a bit strange. It's located on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator. Keep that in mind if you have a lot of luggage (or in my case, a very pregnant wife). Also, the rooms don't open to the outdoors, instead they all face a single semi-open air "courtyard." The courtyard roof is a skylight so you get plenty of natural light in what would otherwise be a large hallway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellesley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Avalon is a small place and unless you are on a mountain you really could stay anywhere and be close to the nightlife. HVDM has it all ... location, style, comfort, elegance, friendliness. If my wife and I were to return, we would without a doubt stay here again. We stayed in the Avalon Courtyard Suite and and liked everything about it, the fireplace, the Jacuzzi, and the comfortable bed. The hotel website photos of the suite are accurate. It;s that nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Not all of the hotels in Avalon are family friendly. This one is the best family friendly hotesl on the island. The service is four seasons level (extraordinary). The staff is very friendly and personable. The accommodations are top notch.

The first room (104) can get a little bit of lobby noise early in the evening, but it was always quiet by a reasonable hour (9:30 or 10pm). Plus the AC fan (which is a little bit too noisy) masked any noise even at those early hours.

We loved the personal attention of the staff and the milk and cookies every evening!

Room Tip: Room 104 can experience a little lobby noise in the early evening, but quiets down by 9:30pm. But I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here for the first time with my boyfriend last week and couldn't have been more satisfied. It was so quaint and comforting and felt very private. I had no idea that it was right on the beach, we could basically hear the waves crashing all night long. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Even though the reviews raved about this hotel, I still had my doubts...a hotel located on the third floor above a steakhouse?! I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. The location was perfect, right across from the cozy beach and just upstairs from restaurants, bars and shops. Even though our courtyard room had no outdoor view, the corridor was just as stunning.

Milk & cookie...what a cool touch. They usually serve them in the breakfast area right across from the reception. Because we were catching a movie at the historical Avalon Theatre and told the staff that we could not make it back on time, the staff went above and beyond to leave a plate of those freshly baked goodies plus refrigerated glasses of milk in our room. Talk about customer service!!!

On more thing that made me fall in love with this hotel...the mini-bar price! Most hotels would up-charge for the convenience of that mini-bar in your room, but not this hotel. A bottle of water only cost $1.50, and I didn't have to put my normal clothes on, go downstairs and walk to the store to buy it?! For those traveling with children, you don't have worry about breaking your bank if your kid pops open a can of soda every now and then! HEAVENLY, thank you, thank you!

One little thing that did drive me crazy. There was no door to the bathroom sink/changing area, and there was a skylight...J had trouble staying asleep when my room was so bright at 7AM...minor details.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vista Del Mar? Share your experiences!