“Great Linens!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion Hotel

You added Pavilion Hotel to your Saves list
Pavilion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Crescent Ave., PO Box 737, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Special Offer
Catalina Escape Package
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Ojai
“Great Linens!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

The Pavillion in Catalina was absolutley wonderful!! I have stayed in other places on the island but this is my new best friend. If I had any complaint at all it was that I was in the very back room, farthest from the ocean and the central lawn.. but guess what.. I didn't care because the room was to clean and quiet.. very well decorated, calming.. the beds and linen were the best I've experienced at a hotel for some time (Frette is the name of the co. that makes the sheets) In the morning, you walk out to the common lawn and we sat at a table nearest the walkway and the beach and played scrabble and had a wonderful breakfast.. what a kick back morning.. By the way, when I checked in and told them I had a reservation, they responded with: "Linda???" I must have been the last to check in for the day but I loved the personalization..

• Liked — Clean room and soft bed and linens
  • Disliked — our room was so far in the back
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Bakersfield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Me and my wife were in Avalon for our 10th anniversary, I had called earlier in the day and asked about staying at the Pavilion Lodge and thought it'd be nice. When I first walked in the door and asked if they had any rooms available I was told "Our rooms are 300 dollars a night we're a luxury hotel by a man with long hair, no need to name his name. I guess by the way I was dressed he figured I couldn't afford the place. Anyways I told him what I was quoted on the phone and he said he'd check his computer and came back with a better price. After getting a room and going thru the check in he needed to say that this place just received a 3 1/2 million dollar renovation. So I was expecting maybe a nice room, with maybe an above average something for the price. Well I was wrong, I've had better luxury at a Super 8 motel than at this place. So what if it's 14 steps from the beach,isn't most places in Avalon? So save your money and find something more luxurious for the price, and big whoopie a free continental breakfast! Cereal, juice, and bagels, and oh yeah your view from the rooms are of a grass sitting area no ocean view. Head my advice and save your money for something better.

• Liked — Somewhat quiet.
  • Disliked — Price, and for so caleld luxury hotel, I had no luxury
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

This place is basically a glorified motel, but looking around at the other choices on the island, I think we made a pretty decent choice in comparison to the other hotels on the island. Good location, and clean. No frills at all. But the bed was comfortable and I liked the design of the room. It was exactly like they took a old motel room, cleaned it up and dressed it up a little bit. For the money, it was perfectly good enough for me.

• Stayed April 2007
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

Husband and I back from 3/amazing days at the Pavilion Lodge. If you go to Catalina Island this is the only place you want to stay at. Where do I begin?? Location, location, location. We have been to the island several times and have stayed at almost every B&B, hotel, house on the island. This Pavilion Lodge has to be the best place yet. It is right smack in the center of town but feels like it is all on it's own. Everything is right outside your door. The landscaping at this hotel is breathtaking. Beautiful tables, chairs all set out on gorgeous lawns. Beautiful plants, trees and the beach right in front of you. You can just sit there for hours and people-watch. The continental breakfast is set out on the lawn each morning and the presentation is just gorgeous as well as the choices of bagels, oatmeal, tea, coffee, pastries and juice. Really done up nice. The hotel is u-shape and only 2/levels. We had a room on the first floor by the street. They rooms are like something out of a Martha Stewart magazine. Just really clean, sharp and done up very nice. Beautiful pale green painted walls, wicker furniture, all white, clean sinks with coffee set-up, free internet hook-up, blow dryer and fridge. Bathroom is also very nice and fully stocked with wonderful towels and great bath accessories. THE BEDS are to die for. All down sheets, pillows, covers - so comfortable - you never want to get out and leave your room. They have really spent some time, money and thought into this hotel and it really shows. You will love this hotel and not be disappointed. We booked the package deal with the hotel that they offer with a free tour. We did the submarine ride and although I thought it would be silly it ended up being a great tour. Really cool thing to do and you see an amazing amount of fish and sealife - just awsome. We also ate at Steve's Steakhouse which is a short stroll down from the Pavilion Lodge. This restaurant is on the 2nd floor with a wonderful view of Catalina Island. Great restaurant with amazing service. Also make sure you either walk past the Casino or take the trolly down to the Descanso Beach Gardens. Wonderful spot. You feel like you are on some Carribean Island. Nice lunch spot with amazing bbq burgers, fun bar all set out on the beach. Full showers, toilets and all the lounge chairs set up for you. Not to be missed. If you go to Catalina Island I would look no further than the Pavilion Lodge. It is the best bet right now on the island. Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to email. Happy Travels to All!

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about - hotel is really done right. Best bet on Catalina right now!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

A friend and I stayed here for three days on our spring break! We paid about $400 for two nights, and that included the room, the ferry ride, baggage delivery, and 2 island tours each! (We did the glass botttom boat tour and the casino tour, totally amazing!)

From the outside the hotel looks a bit out-dated, but the rooms are beautiful, clean, and newly remodeled. Some of the front desk personnel are rude, but some were so courteous and gave exellent reccomendations. A concierge named Shane helped us pick out a dvd to rent (free!) at 3 am! The continental breakfast is pretty mediocre, but make sure you get there early or it will be gone!

The hotel has a great location. I loved how it was right on the water,and in the middle of the action. After dinner at "Mi Casita", it only took about 45 seconds for me to run back to my room and grab a sweater!

Tours: Go for the Casino tour, it's beautiful, and the glass bottom boat tour was great! Our boat guide was "Captain Mike", he was great!

Dining: Avoid "Eat at Joe's"! The service was horrible, and for $12 at lunch all I got were 3 chicken nuggets and CANNED PEAS! Mi Casita mexican food was great, a little pricy, but the food and the decor were super. For lunch, stop at the BBQ Hut over by the metropole marketplace. The food is quick, good, and you'll get your moneys worth!

IMPORTANT!: If you decide to use the baggage delivery service, make sure that you write your name and the name of the hotel on your luggage, because they lost our tickets and if we hadn't written the hotel name ON the bags, we never would have gotten it!

• Liked — locations, rooms
  • Disliked — Breakfast, no pool
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

Office staff was friendly & helpful! Housekeeping staff was great! Rooms very comfortable! Beds were wonderful! There was always plenty of breakfast. The only negative was with "baggage claim". The workers in baggage were rude, unfriendly, & unhelpful. I even paid to have my luggage delivered to the dock for departure ( which they state they will do for free), but when we arrived at the dock baggage claim, our luggage was nowhere to be found. So I suggest you take your own luggage to the dock, after the wonder stay which I do recommend. All in all, Pavilion Lodge was a great place to stay, and we look forward to staying there again!

Stayed August 2006
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

Okay, there is no better place to stay than the Pavillon Lodge. Its true Catalina Island. The location couldn't be better. Its walk to everything. The rooms are clean and the grass area is very relaxing. We stayed here with our kids and now we are staying here with our grandkids. This place is tradition and its Catalina. The food in town is horrible so just get used to paying big bucks for horrible food. Bring your own over on the boat.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family