“Best Hotel on the island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pavilion Hotel to your Saves list
Pavilion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Crescent Ave., PO Box 737, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Redondo Beach, California
“Best Hotel on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Pavilion Hotel is what I wish all hotels would be like ... From the extremely friendly check-in and free drink tickets to the cloudlike comfy beds and the more than you possibly want free breakfast to the outstanding wine & cheese evening reception -- all mind you with an ocean view since this hotel is waterfront. For wine lovers, the wines - four different kinds - were from regions of Spain and france and were quite impressive - not your typical cheap bottles but out - but explained to you - nice touch! But one of the hot spots was the firepit at night - we met people from all over the world - a couple from Germany to a female olympic boxer from Peru. Its a gather place at night and great fun! A must do is a golf cart ride around catalina and the new Zipline is great! We caught a movie in ghe old casino and just being inside such an old theater made the movie even better! Try the local lobster its fantastic! Trust me the Pavilion will not disappoint -

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent trip to Catalina Island. My team and I were excited to welcome you to Avalon. I am also happy to read that you were able to explore Avalon and enjoy what the Pavilion Hotel has to offer. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
So. Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Catalina is a special place and we had a really lovely stay at the Pavilion Hotel for my 50th birthday. The location is perfect, the grounds are lovely and relaxing. The beds/bedding are soooo comfy. Every employee we encountered was cheerful and polite and aimed to please. We had a bit of a problem with our reservation and billing, but it all worked out, and they went above and beyond to make it right (Thank you to Madeline & Roberto!) We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent trip to Catalina Island. My team and I were happy to welcome you to the Pavilion Hotel for your 50th birthday. We were honored that you chose to celebrate with us! We hope to see you again on your 51st!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband had never been to Catalina Island before and we found ourselves without children at the last minute so we planned a quick overnight to Avalon. I have spent much time in Avalon thanks to a friend with a house in town, so as familiar with the town that I was, I didn't really know where to stay. I had walked by the Pavillion Hotel many times and loved the location, and after reading online reviews went online to book a room. Luckily we were able to reserve a room with a AAA discount and two double beds (the room with a king bed was showing a price of almost $100 more a night). My biggest complaint about the hotel is the price. Yes, it is charming and well appointed and has some great amenities, but it is pricey. Most rooms in Avalon are though, so I guess when you consider what you are getting at the Pavillion, it is worth the difference in price.

We arrived to the hotel at noon, well before check in but we wanted to enjoy our day on the Island. We were told our room wasn't ready, but that we could store our luggage and we would be called when it was ready. I did ask if there was a room with a king bed available instead of two doubles, and was told that there was, but it would be over $400 a night so once again, we decided to stay in the two doubles. With our bags checked, we wanted to change and head over to Descanso Beach Club. The front desk attendant told us that there were showers and changing rooms available to us just outside the lobby as well as towels that we could take to the beach. I found little touches like this all over the Pavillion Hotel and really appreciate them. After a few hours at the beach club, we were called and told our room was ready, but to take our time and they would see us when we got back.

We made it back to the hotel around 4:00 and checked into our room. We had actually been upgraded to a room with a king bed which was really great. That king sized bed was one of the softest, most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and I could have spent days in it without getting out. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was immaculately clean. We unpacked and put the air conditioner on (once we figured out how to work it) and decided to go to the complimentary wine and cheese hour in the library room. With great people watching along the main street, comfortable lounge chairs and some good wine and cheese, we had a great time sitting in the sun enjoying Avalon. There were 4 wines to choose from and 3 different cheeses which were all good. We really enjoyed talking to the British intern who was pouring the wine as well, she was really funny. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and making conversation with new people was a great way to start our evening.

There is a European style breakfast in the morning served to guests. There was fruit, ham, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, assorted baked goods and juices. I had a very good cappuccino made for me as well. There was something for everyone and the breakfast had the same ambiance as the wine and cheese hour, which was just what we were hoping for.

Checkout was easy at the front desk and very friendly and all too soon, our short stay on Catalina was over.

I would give this hotel a 5 star rating, but I feel that it is expensive and even with all of the great things it has to offer, I don't know that it is a $300+ hotel experience. That being said, my husband can't wait to return.

What we loved the most: Lounge chairs on the lawn, wine and cheese hour, comfortable soft bed, clean, friendly, mini fridge in room, adorable privacy door hanger, breakfast included, friendly staff (especially the interns), location, people watching from tables, felt totally relaxed while there

What we didn't love: The price (once you figure in the cost of the Express ticket, that is one expensive night or two!), not great water pressure in shower.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

First we had rsvp to atwater (sister hotel) then we had a complimentary upgrade to PH. What an awesome experience. The front desk staff, bag handlers and housekeepers were exceptionally pleasant. They made us feel so welcome. By the sweet gestures of hello's here and there made us feel like they like us being there. Tyler helped out when we checked out and offered to take our bags while we snorkel and tour more of the town instead of hauling it everywhere we go. Housekeepers knocked sweetly in our room and offered us towels, water and gave us chocolates. I never had this experence ever in any hotel setting when housekeepers come by during the day. Its a great plus and perfect timing! It's like a sense that we just finished swimming, needed towels and thristy too! We were in awe!!! The beds were so comfy! The bathroom spotless clean! Then came the complimentary wine and cheese. Excellent selections! And the servers were top notch!! So nice that they asked us about our time in the island. The breakfast bar and staff were just superb! Even made us expressos! It was the best time being it our first in Catlina Isand. One of the best experience was everyone asked us if we had any questions about the island. I thought that was above standard and made our day trips even smoother. You guys rock! We will definitly come back and will stay in PH. Thanks to everyone!!!! A little secret, we enjoyed staying here we even posted on FB all the tiny details that were given to us. Truly yours, From 3 satisfied 3 gals that stayed in 216.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We were very happy to welcome you to Catalina Island! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel. We also appreciate the time that you took to post about your stay on TripAdvisor. My team and I are happy to hear that they helped to make your stay memorable. Please come back to Catalina Island soon!

Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I must say... after being in the hospitality business for over 17+ years working for both The Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel & St. Regis Monarch Beach, The Pavilion Hotel in Avalon, Catalina was an exceptional experience. The staff added their special touches from the moment I checked-in with a warm and genuine welcome to the Island! I was on a birthday trip with both my teenage daughters, little did I know our little 24-hour adventure would turn into a “five-star” experience. The front desk accommodated us accordingly and promptly. They responded quickly to our requests and guided me with the most wonderful birthday experience ever!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

The Pavilion Hotel was happy to welcome you to Catalina Island. Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Avalon. My team and I are happy to hear that you and your daughters enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again very soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I've been to Catalina several times, but have never stayed in Avalon in a hotel. Although we only stayed one night, the rooms were spacious, beautiful and just steps from the beach. An added bonus of staying here is that our rate included free wine and cheese in the afternoon and free breakfast in the morning. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent trip to Catalina Island. We loved having you as our guest. My team was happy that you were able to make your first stay in Avalon with us. We hope to see you again very soon!

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I had never been to Catalina Island so we picked this hotel from other reviews. We were not disappointed. We were warmly welcomed at the pier for the Catalina Express and had our bags carried to the hotel which is about a block from the pier. We arrived on a very early boat and hoped for an early check-in - unfortunately the hotel was super busy so they were not able to accommodate that request, but they had comfortable seating in the outdoor lobby area and we were able to enjoy the continental breakfast (which is very good). They also stored our bags so we could spend the day looking around the island and the shops. Everyone is VERY friendly and customer service oriented. I don't think I have experienced a friendlier staff at any other hotel. If you choose this property you will not be disappointed. Just so you know the beds are really comfortable - wish I could have taken one home with me!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent trip to Catalina Island. My team and I are happy to hear that they helped to make your stay memorable. Thank you for letting us know what you enjoyed on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again very soon!

Roberto Perico

Been to Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!