“A 5 star treat!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pavilion Hotel to your Saves list
Pavilion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Crescent Ave., PO Box 737, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Toms River, New Jersey
“A 5 star treat!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel, hands down is a 5 star treat at a 3 star price! The location, the service, the setting and the rooms are wonderful! Right across from the beach. Enjoy your breakfast or the evening their wine and cheese hour overlooking the beach or around their fire-pit!!

Stayed October 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Joni,

Thank you so much for your rave review of the Pavilion Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience on TripAdvisor. My team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, services, and wine and cheese hour.

Please do come back and see us again on your next visit to Catalina Island. Again, thank you!

595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Pavilion for the first weekend of the 2013 Jazz Trax festival. The on-line research paid off. Hadn't been to Catalina in over 15 years and prices have about doubled since. That said the complimentary breakfast along with the wine and cheese happy hour was a nice touch. It was nice not to have to hustle to restaurants in the morning for breakfast. One note, bees can be a bit bothersome if you have breakfast outside on the patio. Also Luau Larry's next door can be a bit spirited (i.e. noisy) during late night hours. Choose a room on same side as the breakfast/wine tasting room or towards that back of the property and you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Luau Larry's next door can be a bit spirited (i.e. noisy) during late night hours. Choose a roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Greg,

Thank you for staying us on your return to Avalon! It was so nice to have you stay with us after 15 years! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay on TripAdvisor as well.

My team and I are glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfasts, and wine and cheese hours. Please come back and see us soon!

Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our New In Town Club f (Women) rom Simi Valley stayed at the Pavilion for the third Oct in 3 years. We keep coming back. We love it. The good service starts at the dock, where they tag our luggage and we don't see it again until we are in our rooms. That way we just walk down Crescent Ave and have our lunch, shop etc until they're ready. Wonderful Happy Hour 4:30 to 5:30, and great Continental Breakfast. There were 23 of us. "Ladies night out." We stay for two nights. They will take your luggage to the holding area at the pier for you when you leave as well.
Great linens, comfortable beds. Recommend you take the 4 1/2 hr hummer tour if you haven't.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued visits to the Pavilion Hotel! We love having you back each year and are looking forward to the next. My team and I appreciate your kind words. They will be happy to hear that you enjoyed their great service.

Again, we are looking forward to seeing you next year!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I spent 2 nites at the Pavillon from Sept 15th thru the 17th. So 2 nites, 3 days. I say 3 days b/c even after we checked out the hotel held our luggage and let us use the courtyard with lounge chairs, bathrms, showers and go to Happy Hour before taking the ship back to Dana Point.!!
We had a downstairs room with a small patio and chairs and then the gorgeous courtyard, I def was on a tropical island. The beach is yards away across the walkway everything you need is literally within walking distance. The continental breakfast was fantastic with many selections, Happy Hour was excellent w/wine, cheese, bread and delish honey.!! Gas fire pits on at nite where you can sit, relax and be quiet or meet new people to chat up with. The rooms are good, but like another writer said the walls r thin and you can hear the other people, that is my only complaint and I had to really think about something that bothered me. At nite they bring you fresh bottled water and chocolate......seriously what more could you want in a hotel...!! They were there for our every whim and I thank them for this wonderful experience. Will definitely be back.!!! Oh I have a bad back and the mattresses were very comfortable.!!

Room Tip: The first floor rms are more money but have a nice private patio, and a really short walk like 10 fe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carol,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate you staying with us and commenting on TripAdvisor. My team will be very happy to read your excellent review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our fire rings, breakfast, and wine and cheese hour. We hope that when you return to Avalon that you stay with us again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I would give this hotel a 4 & 1/2 if that was possible. We stayed here on a recent trip because the family members we were vacationing with had been before, and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location is first-rate, and so are the amenities. There is a very good breakfast served, and a wine and cheese hour in the afternoon that add a great deal of value to the stay. They also have turn-down service where they leave you chocolates AND bottled waters. The outdoor common areas are outstanding; tables and chairs overlooking the dock and the main street (pedestrian only--great people-watching), a fire pit, and numerous chaise lounges. When we left, they were planting more landscaping to add to the already beautiful central area.
Our relatives (the same ones who wouldn't stay elsewhere) were unhappy with the room they were assigned, and the hotel wasn't able to change it for them. To keep the peace, we switched rooms with them. The hotel MORE than made it worth our while with some extras, over and above what we anticipated.
The only negative I would mention is that there were lots of yellow jackets harassing people at some of the tables outdoors when food was present. I don't know if this was a seasonal happening, but it was a nuisance. (Had to make sure I carried my epi-pen when we were in the vicinity!)

Room Tip: There are different price points for various locations. A room opening to the open courtyard would...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eatontown, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in the hotel in Jan 2013 and were not impressed. Our first room was right next to the janitor's closet and was very noisy with house keepers constantly coming and going. They moved us to a room on the bottom floor and it sounded like a heard of elephants above us. We didn't sleep well from the noise and concluded that the rooms just had paper thin walls. The hotel sent us a one night free voucher but when I asked if I could give it to someone else they did not respond. Bad customer service all round.

Room Tip: Only stay on the top floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us in January. While I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience, I would like to extend my apologies for your experience with us again. We pride ourselves on having fantastic customer service and are sorry that we fell short.
I hope that we have the chance to restore your confidence in the Pavilion Hotel on your next visit to Catalina.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very short walk from pier and quick check-in with clean room and comfortable king beds. Saw where others have found beds uncomfortable, but with my bad back, no problem. The "Continental" breakfast was so much more than that, with the freshest fruit (incl luscious mangoes), delicious bagels, ham, oatmeal, pastries, coffee, tea, juice, etc., etc. And the 4:30 PM wine/cheese hour also a nice perk after a day of seeing the island. Staff helpful, polite and friendly. Although more expensive than larger hotels in larger mainland cities, Avalon is a product of supply and demand. I can not imagine only visiting Catalina for one day. The 3 nights we were there were just barely a nice getaway. Will plan for more next year during jazz fest.

Room Tip: First floor rooms face large, quiet courtyard. Since Avalon closes down around 8 PM, I was amazed a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!