“Pinch me! I'm dreaming!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion Hotel

You added Pavilion Hotel to your Saves list
Pavilion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Crescent Ave., PO Box 737, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Special Offer
Catalina Escape Package
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Simi Valley, CA
“Pinch me! I'm dreaming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited during Jan for the Avalon 50 Mile Benefit Run. The hotel was so accommodating for the runners and all of their guests. Our room was not large, but that didn't matter. The beds were very comfortable, the bedding was DELICIOUSLY warm and comfortable, the water pressure was awesome.

Above all every single person we met that worked for the hotel was so nice and sincerely interested in ensuring we had an excellent stay.

My husband and I are 5'10 and 6' 1" which always causes problems with beds. We shared a room so we shared a double bed (from a Cal King it was so small but that's not the hotel's fault).

The system for heating/cooling is the only thing that was irritating. The symbols are not "universal" so we struggled with trying to figure it out (the little remote flips open on the bottom FYI).

The breakfast they served up (for the runners, they opened up at 3am!) was crazy awesome. Only the coffee got cold quickly (they had it set outside for access).

The grounds were quaint and beautiful.

We had the bottom floor (room 117) and I'd want to get that one again. We had a little patio and it was far enough past the foot traffic that we didn't have any disturbances. I think the people above us were also runners because they were walking around (you can hear it a little too well) but then it was silent at 8pm when everyone hit the hay to wake up at 3am.

The hotel is right on the beach, steps from the water. 30 yards from the pier. A block from the tiny VONS grocery store, shopping along the "strip".

I would want to stay here again FOR SURE.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine a bad room choice. The rooms are not large, so there is not much space. We saw our...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Pavilion Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Thank you for recognizing their extraordinarily service. I will personally share your feedback with them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would like to start off by saying that if you ever have the chance to visit the Pavilion Hotel do it without hessitation. Of all the hotels that we have researched and looked at, by far, this one is the best on the island. The service and the recommendations were all top notch. The staff, top to bottom, was outstanding. The General Manager, Roberto (forgot last name), took time out of his days to find out how we were doing and making sure that we were as comfortable as family. He exemplifies his position. Kris, Martin, Justin, they are all fantastic associates and wonderful ambasodores for the hotel.
We hope to make it back there soon.
Thank you all for the wonderful time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your rave review and recognizing our exemplary service. I know my team will be very happy to read your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel.

Bishop, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Off season - attending a wedding. Great weather! Hotel is charming. The grounds are immaculate. Good location for getting around. Pleasant staff. Room was large enough without feeling cramped. Softest towels EVER! Only complaint was poor lighting in the vanity area and the room we had didn't have a lot of natural lighting coming in. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am pleased to share your review to my entire team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and recommending our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel on your next visit to Catalina Island.

fairfield, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and two kids (21 and 17) stayed two nights here last week. It's a lovely hotel with island elegance. Check in and check out was a breeze. Our room was fairly standard and plainly decorated but comfortable. The hotel has a nice continental breakfast and wine/cheese tasting (4:30-5:30) daily. The staff, especially at reception, was terrific. Very warm and helpful, they booked our activities for us (a bus tour, casino tour, mini golf) and had helpful information about the island.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room all the way at the back of the hotel, which is near a busy side street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Thank you for recognizing our reception team with their extraordinarily service. I will personally share your feedback with them

Centerville, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Enjoyed staying at the Pavillion. It was fun to enjoy the island without the crowds. Breakfast was just okay. Nothing exciting. Never got to so the evening social- could never figure out what time it held at exactally.
The hotel was beautiful- just watch out for a room in the back- which we had. Street sweepers noisey early in the morning and our room was in need of maintance.
Staff very helpful- and loved that we had purchases a package with our stay. Made it fun to had things to do. Would recommend it for anyone. Tours were fun and daughter LOVED the zip line. Tour guides on this were great.

Room Tip: Do not get the standard rooms. At least the one we had need some maintance to it. Looked like othe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by your room. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I will share it with my team.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back to the island soon. Thank you for recommending us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had a great time at the Pavilion! Centrally located in Avalon city of Sta. Catalina island, walking distance from ferry and pretty much everywhere in town! Beautiful rustic hotel, very charming with complimentary wine tasting and breakfast! Hotel gardens are relaxing and beautiful too! Rooms are comfortable, bed and pillows perfect for a good night's sleep, bathroom is nice and clean. there is also a safe inside guest room. Excellent and friendly staff as well! I will definitely come back here next time I'm visiting Sta Catalina. Will definitely recommend to friends!

• Stayed December 2012
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Pavilion Hotel and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Crossfield, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I are frequent visitors to Southern California from Alberta, and I have to say our early December trip to Catalina Island was by far the best experience we have had. It all starts with the accomadations at the Pavilion Hotel, the extras here are tremendous, the staff is friendly and helpful, the maid service top notch, beds are very comfortable, the free wine and cheese each day is a high class touch and the location is very convienient.

We travel alot in the off season and many times we are dissapointed with venues being closed and "B" level staff, this could not be farther from the truth when it comes to Catalina Island. I encourage all to try an offseason trip to the island, make the Pavilion your choice of stay you will not be dissapointed, and ask for the unlimited packaged they offer, you can golf, zip line, and enjoy all the island tours, it is by far the best deal going.

Just a quick note, I travel alot and this is the first time I have ever offered a review, I was compelled to write one because the experience was near perfect.

Here was the details.

Pavilion Hotel 4 nights - Unlimited Package - from this we got to Golf, Mini Golf, Zip Line, Glass Boat, underwater tour, Casino tour, theater tickets, adventure tour, and rock climb. There is other activities as well, these are the ones we participated in and loved them all. And because of the location of the Pavilion hotel, it was all so simple and relaxing.

Room Tip: We had a basic king size room on the second level, the first floor is a little more convienient. But...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing our exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.