“Exceeded my expections” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pavilion Hotel to your Saves list
Pavilion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Crescent Ave., PO Box 737, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Long Beach, California
“Exceeded my expections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had never been to Catalina so I did NOT know what to expect. I did a little bit of research but for the most part, kinda just "winged it" by searching for the most affordable hotel that didn't look dumpy. I feel like I totally lucked out by finding Hotel Pavilion because from the moment I got off the Catalina Express, there was a Pavilion employee waiting with a sign to take guests' bags to the hotel as a complimentary service. We arrived at 11am so we were kinda worried about having to lug around all of our baggage since check-in wasn't until 3pm. He was extremely kind and accomodating. We were able to walk around without the heavy load! Once we walked around, we decided to check to see if we could check in early (it was 2pm). We could. All the employees were SOOOOO nice.

Now lets talk about the actual hotel. It feels like a little tropical garden. It's one of the only hotels that are actually on water side. Most of the hotels are on off streets which still include the view but don't have direct access to the main street and water. I loved out quiet and lush the hotel was. They made sure we knew about the complimentary wine and cheese night which we took advantage of. It was QUALITY cheese and your basic yet delicious red and white wine. We filled up on this treat and were too full to have dinner! Our hotel room was small and simple but very clean and modern. Ipod docks and table with cable helped with the mindless relaxation.

The next morning we had the complimentary breakfast. We were expecting bagels and doughnuts but it was boiled eggs, croissants, scones, fresh fruit, an assortment of juices, teas and coffees/cappaccinos...delicious! Breakfast on the beach :)

I was SO satisfied by my Pavilion experience that I don't think I can ever go to any other hotel....

Thank you Pavilion for being so kind, accomodating and classy in all that you do!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Avalon for our anniversary. We stayed 2 nights over Labor Day weekend.
After arriving by ferry, staff from the hotel was available on the dock to take our luggage. It made the short walk to the hotel more relaxing and enjoyable.
We had one issue when checking in. The 1st floor room with patio that we had booked was no longer available. They moved us to one of their regular upstairs rooms. I was hoping to have the upgraded room for our special occasion and was dissappointed that the hotel downgraded us without any compensation. However, what started out as a dissappointment was soon forgotten by all the other great ammenities and excellent service.
The standard room that we had was plenty roomy and had a great layout. We liked having the sink outside of the bathroom, and it was nice having a mini fridge in the room. The grounds are also very nice, with plenty of sitting areas around for folks to lounge around or enjoy food/drinks for breakfast or their wine hour. We also appreciated that the hotel provides nice beach towels for guests to use and free DVD players and movies to check out.
The location is outstanding. It is steps from the beach and right next to the pier where many of the boat tours leave from. Everything we wanted to do was within a 5 minute walk.
We really enjoyed the hotel ammenities. The continental breakfast featured fresh diced fruit, bagels, muffins, croissants and pastries, dry cereal, yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs, served with coffee and juices. The wine and cheese hour had a staff person pouring 4 types of wine served along with 4 different types of cheese and toasted baggette slices. Like many others we also took advantage of the unlimited package and tried the following tours: Flying Fish, Undersea Adventure, and East End Tour. We enjoyed and would recommend all these tours. The East End tour was our favorite.
Above all else, we thought the hotel staff was fantastic. They were very knowledgable about the activities, shops and restaurants on the island. Any time we saw a staff member they would stop and ask if everything was OK and if we needed anything. Justin and Grago were particuliarly helpful.
We would definitely recommend this hotel for a great visit to Avalon. I would have given a 5 rating if not for the room mix-up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Me and my 9 month pregnant wife stayed there for Labor day. I appreciated the customer service a lot. Drago was very friendly and helpful. He saved me more than 100$ by offering me the tour packages. I guess i will stay there again.
Of course its no Mandaly Bay of Vegas, or Westin LA but its nice for Catalina Island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just spent 3 glorious nights at Pavilion. From Check-in to check out, the hotel staff was top notch. Rooms were very clean, staff incredibly friendly. Just a short walk from the ferry, and in the heart of Avalon right off the boardwalk and directly across from the beach, the location was unbeatable. The grassy courtyard was quaint. I enjoyed the firepit nightly and also took advantage of the daily complimentary wine and cheese hour. Breakfast (also complimentary) consisted of fresh fruit, bagels, toast, soft-boiled eggs, cereal, assorted yogurts, fresh juices and DELICIOUS coffees and cappacinos. Despite the lack of hot items, it was more than enough and it was obvious that all of the guests enjoyed it. I never saw the cleaning service but they came twice a day, once to clean and refresh the linens and then again for turn-down service at night. Check-out is at 11am but the hotel allows guests to store their belongings in a very secure baggage area until your ferry arrives. They also allow guests to use their grounds and outside showers and restrooms. My ferry didn't leave until 7pm, and though I checked out at 11am, I was able to explore the city, lounge in the hotel courtyard, go swimming, come back and shower and change before collecting my baggage and departing. First class experience. I will be going back to Avalon for the jazz festival in October and will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Escondido, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Family of four with children 8 and 10. Our room was upstairs with two beds, clean and plenty of room for our needs. The hotel is steps from the beach and a block from the tour bus area. Took advantage of The Catalina Resort Unlimited Package and it was well worth the extra cost. Family enjoyed glass bottom boat tour, undersea tour, skyline tour, inland island tour, and the behind the scenes casino tour - all fantastic! HINT: If possible book a downstairs room as they come with a private sitting area outside not available on the second floor. They offered a free contential breakfast each morning and wine and cheese tasting in the afternoon. We plan to stay here again on our next visit to Catalina.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tustin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The common areas with its many comfortable sitting areas, the breakfast, the ice water on tap and the fire pit create an elegant and comfortable atmosphere. There are two changing rooms with showers to help you enjoy the beach after you checked out and before your boat leaves and storage of luggage for making that change is also easily accessible. The hotel rooms themselves look a little like an old apartment building, and some of them would have to be noisy by location to the common areas and people walking by talking. The beds are comfortable and the comforters and pillows were first class as well. The only real drawback is that, during busy times, the rooms are not ready when the boats arrive and check out is early at 11:00 am, so your time is the room is really pretty limited for an overnight.

Room Tip: Get one in the back on the second floor if you need quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Norwalk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Instead of just going for the cheapest rates I decided that I would go a bit upscale. Not too much just a bit more than the cheapest. We got on the last boat Friday evening and there was a porter to take our bags to the hotel. The hotel was closer than we thought but it was still very nice to walk casually past everyone else lugging their bags. The place is just gorgeous, no swimming pool, just a beautiful fire pit and the grounds were lush and relaxing. Our room had a semi-private patio that my girlfriend and I used to sit and relax during the evening. I could not have asked for a better room. It was beautiful, the iPod docking instead of the old clock radio was a nice touch. Aside from the tour of the Casino, we wanted nothing more than to relax at this hotel. No other tours were needed, nothing else was wanted. The Pavilion is great place to be, a destination onto itself.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pavilion Hotel? Share your experiences!