“Our nest away from home!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Metropole

You added Hotel Metropole to your Saves list
Hotel Metropole
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Crescent Ave., P.O. Box 1900, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Special Offer
Best of Winter
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Laguna Beach, California
“Our nest away from home!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lots of choices on this charming island but hands down the Metropole did everything right!!! Seriously, Best 2 nites sleep in along time! The bed and linens were sooo comfy and you really could leave your own soaps, shampoos and lotions at home...indulgent! Everything was Very clean, Dry (that's hard to find shoreside), and nicely appointed. We chose the Superior King room and it lacked nothing! The continental breakfast was truely enough to satisfy till lunchtime and the location is central within the town but surprisingly Not noisy! It is our home away from home and a definate Must stay for anyone!!!

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room, you wont be disappointed!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our room was overlooking the bay - fabulous! Some traffic noise (they should go all electric on the golf carts :). But we enjoyed the staff, the room & the amenities.
Recommended improvements:
*get rid of the weird skateboarder photos in the room. Out of place and kind of unsettling.
*less friends of staff hanging out in the lobby.
*keep hot tub hotter on cold days.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just got back from my first trip to Catalina and I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into Room 214 at the Metropole. Newly remodeled room with comfortable bed, plush linens, working gas fireplace, breakfast table and chairs, flat screen, closet, storage drawers, and nicely appointed bathroom with a separate vanity area. Room was very large and carpet seemed new. My husband was not happy with the location (right next to the lobby) and was a bit miffed by the not so friendly front desk staff - however the room was very quiet even during busy hours at the front desk we couldn't hear anything. The location is superb and we were immediately spoiled with the turn down service complete with chocolate mints on our pillows. Below the hotel are many boutiques, restaurants and even an arcade. Bowling is $5 per person per game (a bit pricey considering its a diluted version of real bowling). The "M" Restaurant is also on the pricey side - but the food was very good ($92 brunch for 2 with coffee and tip - no champagne). I got a pedicure at the Nail Salon below the Hotel and was a bit disappointed. Although the technician was very nice, the actual pedicure was substandard compared to many other places I've been to. The hotel has a rooftop hot tub with capacity for only 4 people. The breakfast includes 'on the go' type options (continental after all) bagels, fresh fruit, cereals, and they serve Coffee Bean which I was also pleasantly surprised to see. In the rooms they have the "do it yourself" starbucks. I would have rated the property a 5 had the hot tub been bigger and the staff a bit friendlier. They weren't necessarily rude - just very dry and to the point which is a bit odd for the hospitality industry. Also wifi was not great.

Room Tip: Room 214 is right next to the front desk, but it is very quiet and you may get a great deal if you a...
Carlsbad, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We flew out and stayed at the Metropole for one night. They do require a 2 night minimum on the weekends but if you call friday afternoon and they still have a room available they will give it to you for sat night. We paid $185 after taxes for a King near the lobby that kind of had a balcony. It had one but the view was mostly the brick wall behind the room. There was a peak view into the courtyard. The location is great, there is an arcade right downstairs with mini bowling and some other fun stuff. Golf carts right across the street for $40 an hour for a 4 seater. If you are flying in the shuttle drops you and picks you up a couple blocks away from the hotel, I guess they can't stop right in front of it.

If you are coming from the bus stop the hotel lobby can be tough to find just enter the courtyard of the metropole plaze and go all the way to the back past the coffee shop on your right then go up the elevator to the second floor lobby.

Breakfast was nothing special, typical holiday inn style. Muffins, cereal, limited fruit.

I would return.

beverly hills
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

When I called to book a room for a family of four, ( children aged 7 and12) I was told the only thing available were rooms that only accommodated two people. I asked if they had rooms that connected with a door in between. I was assured they did and they gave me a 10% discount because I took two rooms. One room then became 489.44 (with tax) the other $524.16. They require prepayment.Very expensive but we had to book the rooms. When we arrived and checked in and again asked if the rooms were connected by a door and was assured they were. The connecting doors were the front doors that were in a corner with a larger door in front! No room to room connecting door but we could keep our front doors open to allow access. With no other rooms available for four on the island we had to stay. The rooms 215and 216 weren't even accessible through the lobby but had an institutional door from the street for access! By the next morning I told the front desk I had been lied to as to my facilities and requested two roll sways for our room, so I could sleep with my children behind a locked door. The room was clearly large enough to accommodate 4 people, but they only had thin mattresses which were on the floor as opposed to beds. At the same time I told them the a/c heat which was from a unit on the wall, was making such a racket and needed to be fixed. The front desk heard the noise through the phone and said they would send someone media rely. When my daughter and I returned to the room (five hours later) the noise was still there and now the heat/air wasn't working at all. I called again and was informed that they couldn't fix it. No other room to move to they told me they would take an additional 10% off. I told them just let us take a later departure time (checkout was 11:00a.m.) and we could call it even. They said they had to charge is $200, so sorry. 10% was the best they could do. Since my husband and son were scuba diving we had to pay the $200. But they never took an additional 10% off, and even when the front desk assured me the manager would call to discuss this issue, she never did.
Some other issues, the front door was left open and a rusty razor blade was on the handle. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, cold bagels ( no toaster) cereal and orange juice all served in the driveway, not even in the lobby! The front desk really wanted to help but couldn't. The cleaning crew and maintenance worker only spoke Spanish so it was a little difficult to communicate.
Also the cafe which they talk about being right next to the hotel, cafe metropole was closed the entire weekend so any food you wanted, had to be gotten from another restaurant. I wouldn't stay here again, unless I knew the heat/air was quiet in the room and it was half priced!

• Stayed March 2013
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
We truly apologize that your stay at the Metropole was not what you had hoped for. We work hard to please each and every customer and it hurts when we fall short. Our records indicate that you received all credits that were due.
The toaster was working at the continental breakfast bar. Freshly baked Croissants, scones, and muffins were also available. Organic fruit, yogurts and a variety of cereals as well as juice, coffee and teas were also available. Additionally, the Cafe was open it's regular hours that entire weekend. Please contact me directly through the hotel and I would be happy to continue our efforts to satisfy you. I hope you will consider staying with us again and we promise to make every effort to see that your stay is a positive experience.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hotel Metropole is one of the more expensive hotels in Avalon, so for our anniversary weekend getaway, my boyfriend and I decided to splurge a little. I found a Winter Special advertised on Trip Advisor, where two people can get one night in a Deluxe Room with free roundtrip Catalina Express tickets, and a bottle of champagne. We upgraded to an Ocean-Front Medium Suite and for $300 a night, it was worth it.

The hotel is part of the Metropole Marketplace, which includes Cafe Metropole, boutique shops, an arcade, and more. Confused about where to check-in, we went to the VIP check-in wing on Crescent and Metropole to ask. They directed us to Crescent and Whittley, where the main lobby is located. Check-in was a breeze.

We stayed in room 215 and had a wonderful panoramic view of the ocean and small town hustle-and-bustle. Our suite was high-end and beautifully renovated. S.K.I.N. Design Studio redesigned the suites in 2008 to re-brand the hotel as Catalina's first sustainable luxury boutique hotel, and did an amazing job. We had a private balcony, super comfy king-size bed, electric fireplace, 40" flat screen TV, DVD player, iPod player, snackbar with complimentary Starbucks coffee, free WiFi, and hardwood floors. The bathroom was large enough, consisting of one sink, a jacuzzi bathtub, and a separate shower with amazing water pressure. However, changing the temperature was confusing -- for the longest time we couldn't figure out why the water stayed so cold, then we realized hot and cold were actually switched. L'Occitane en Provence toiletries were also provided.

The lighting in the room and bathroom was also confusing. The room had so many different light switches for each individual light. Right next to the switches are tiny, TINY sliders that adjust the lighting of each bulb. Not knowing these sliders were there and having most of the lights set at the bare minimum, I thought the bulbs were dying. We realized the sliders were there halfway through our stay.

Because our room was located right next to M Restaurant, we could hear their event music through the walls. It was so loud and annoying, I wanted to pull my hair out. At first I thought it was a neighboring room and after complaining to three different hotel employes, the staff told me it was the restaurant and there was nothing they could do about it. Thankfully, it was only for a couple of hours. If you're looking for a relaxing trip with absolutely no noise, this may also not be the room for you as it's right on the street and gets quite noisy during a busy afternoon. With the balcony sliding doors open, you can hear everyone's conversations clearly as they walk by underneath. Every so often, we'd also hear footsteps from the room above us, so I recommend getting a room on the highest floor possible.

Hotel amenities include a rooftop jacuzzi, sun-deck, and a business center, where you can use the internet and print for free. Nightly turndown service was also available, but we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door for most of the stay. A decent complimentary Continental breakfast is also provided, consisting of coffee, orange juice, hot chocolate, milk, cereal, granola, oatmeal, fruit, muffins, scones, croissants, and bagels.

When it comes to hotels, I always have a hard time choosing because I'm really picky. Most people don't care, thinking a room is just a room, and that it doesn't matter if it's nice or not because they're only going to sleep in there for the night. But it's very important for me that I feel safe, clean, and comfortable, or I'll never be able to get a good night's sleep. Considering most of the hotels in Avalon are pretty old and outdated, Hotel Metropole deserves five stars as they made me feel all three, making the experience worth every penny.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are quieter and stay in a mini-suite or nicer.
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We tried this hotel with a living social deal, and felt like it was a good value at $249 for boat transfers for two plus one night's rooming on the night of St. Patrick's Day Sunday. Location is great, especially for walks, which we did many times over our visit. We did not have a view room, but enjoyed the courtyard view and openable window (kids at the laundry downstairs were a little intrusive, but it didn't last long). Our room was spacious, with nice layout, king sized bed, and sweet little fireplace. Staff at the front desk was fine, check in and checkout were uneventful. Bathroom was just ok ... Water pressure in the shower and shower temp were great. However, it needed a bit closer attention to cleaning in the bathroom ... Seemed like a quick inspection would have solved for the dirt and hairs we observed (we are a bit picky about these things). No big deal, and easy to fix. Continental breakfast was a very nice touch ... Yogurt and bagels and more than just a stale sweet roll, which we really appreciated. Nice place, good rest, nicely private, and we'll definitely be back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Metropole? Share your experiences!