“Warm and charming” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Manhattan Beach, California
“Warm and charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can't say enough about this charming hotel located in the main hub of Avalon. First of all, we were able to receive a birthday discount on the room rate, secondly, the room was charming. They use beautiful linens and we had a working fireplace. They have a spa combined with the hotel that we were able to get a discount to, because we were guest. And had a wonderful massage. The hotel also includes breakfast in the morning. I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went to Catalina for my birthday, signed up for the free boat special and the hotel gave a great birthday discount. The room was very nice, breakfast good and great coffe, convenient location walking distance to everything. Got a massage at little spot at bottom of hotel great also. Room was quiet , I wouldn't get a front room, while you would get the ocean view the golf carts are noisy on the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Quality stay at a decent price.

My girlfriend and I decided to take a two day get away in late February (Catalina's Winter Season) . We stayed from Sunday - Tuesday to avoid the weekend prices and to take advantage of the winter room deals.

What we wanted:
- jacuzzi tub
- comfy bed
- quiet surroundings

What we received: Room 321 - Mini Suite - Full Ocean View

- AWESOME JACUZZI TUB - these are the same in each room and the same as the VIP suite says the front desk. Large tub as well, you will not feel squished. The tub has sliding doors that open to the room so you can enjoy the tub while watching the TV.
- These sliding doors are great for opening the space to include the bathroom, but eliminates same privacy from the bathroom as the sliding doors are not sound proof.

- DECENT BED - my bed at home is more comfortable. it was quite large, but the pillows were less than comfortable and the room temperature was too warm even with attempting to adjust the thermostat down. I had to get up in the middle of the night to open the balcony door to let in the ocean breeze. HUGH PLUS that the hotel is right across from the bay.

- AMAZING OCEAN VIEW - The mini suites have amazing views and are in a prime location. Central to everything in Avalon's town, closest you can get to the Casino and Descano Beach. My girlfriend and I had no issues walking to restaurants, the beach, or up to the belltower.The view including the comfy balcony is well worth it both day and night.

- CITY SURROUNDINGS - The room was right on the main drag of town, yet the room is well built to block out noise as well as it can. Its not sound proof, but if you are used to a little city noises, you will be more than fine with this room. The hotel rooms border three different streets so its important you understand that 321 faces the ocean and is directly across from the bay.

- SERVICE - I am not high maintenance. I prefer to see the staff as little as possible when I stay at a hotel, therefore it did not bother me if that there was not someone directly at the desk when we arrived nor that they did not ask about our stay or whether we needed any suggestions for activities on the isle. Maid service was exactly as it should be, nor did they steal money from my wallet as one review on this site accuses.

- ELECTRICAL OUTAGE morning of 2/26/13 probably bothered many guests and will lead to a couple of 1 star reviews on this site, but it was our morning of check-out and they kindly called up to ask us to come the lobby. When we walked down 10 minutes later they were apologetic and accommodating. Check out was a breeze even without electricity.

minus 1 star for uncomfortable pillows and temperature of room at night. Note I did not try to change this situation so I am not sure what the staff's response would have been.

Room Tip: 321 - Amazing ocean view with balcony, amazing jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was a fantastic place to stay! The hotel staff was very accommodating for our visit and the room was incredible! We had a blast and we walked everywhere the whole stay. We will definitely stay here again in the future! It was in a convenient location with tons of room, there are many activites for kids and adults right next to the hotel. So glad I found this place! Definitely worth a stay!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I got a terrific rate by calling the hotel directly for my early February trip to Catalina (Price was much lower than I found online at discount websites). As you might imagine, Catalina Island is sparsely populated at that time of year (but still beautiful). The hotel offered a package deal which included two round-trip ferry tickets and a lovely room with a fireplace and balcony. Hotel is within walking distance of the ferry and located right in front of the ocean. Room was large, perfectly clean and tastefully decorated. The balcony overlooked a small shopping mall, and wasn't what I would call peaceful. However, it was still nice to step outside and test the weather. In the morning, we heard loud hip hop music from a spin class taking place in the mall. The rooftop hot tub was only lukewarm, so we skipped it. I would imagine that in peak season this place is pretty lively. However, we enjoyed the sleepy winter quiet. The friendly receptionist gave excellent recommendations and arranged for our discounted tickets to the zip lines. Breakfast was just OK - you must take it back to your room from a buffet table. We opted to go to a waffle house instead. I sized up the other hotels on the waterfront (there aren't many), and I'm pretty confident we made a good choice. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly for specials - you will get a better rate.
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our high school just spent the most fantastic school retreat at hotel metropole! The hotel and staff were excellent!! Right in the the center of town, the location could not be better! The hotel itself is quaint and beautiful. The staff (and owners) were a delight to work with! They were gracious and accommodating to our many needs and, from handing out forgotten toiletries, to bringing extra tables and chairs, and anything else we needed. They went totally above and beyond the call of duty by extending our check out time when we were in a pinch. I would totally recommend this hotel to any group and appreciate them for helping us create a meaningful and very memorable school retreat!! Thank you!

Room Tip: Each room has its own twist, some with a fire place, some are more spacious. Speak to the excellent...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I am literally just back from a spectacular weekend stay at the hotel metropole. I was in charge Of planning a 75 person retreat. We used the beach house, conference room and 18 guest rooms. Every single part Of the hotel was clean and stunning. The breakfast in the morning was included and set out early. The staff was extremely helPful. Maria and her crew are the best. I cannot thank them enough for everything. Really a first class stay with very reasonable prices!!! FYI the location couldn't be better. So happy we stayed here!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel Metropole? Share your experiences!