“Shabby. Inconvenient. Uncomfortable.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Chicago, IL
“Shabby. Inconvenient. Uncomfortable.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We booked two rooms at the Quality Inn Auburn - one for five nights, the other four. My elderly Mom and I drove cross-country to meet my brother, who lives in San Francisco, there. We booked the rooms based largely on the photos and reviews found on this site. We especially liked the lobby photos - we wanted a spacious lobby where we could all sit and talk rather than having to go to one of the rooms.
Only after arriving did we discover that the photos terribly misrepresent the lobby. The lens used makes the space look much bigger and nicer than it is - in reality it is tiny, cramped and run-down. There is no sofa there as shown, only two stuffed chairs set about three steps off the elevator. But we were stuck - there was no availability elsewhere in town, at least not anywhere remotely affordable.

Then within hours of arriving I started having trouble with my theretofore perfect laptop. The next day I went to use the so-called 'Business Center' - which I found consists of an obsolete Windows XP Desktop computer and printer. The desk clerk said we could use the system but informed us that it runs very slow 'because it has a virus' - which explains what happened to my laptop, given that the guest network runs on the same system as the business center computer. It was torture getting any web page to load on the lobby computer - taking more than half an hour to print out a couple of simple directional maps.

The rooms: The main building of this motel has no rooms on the first floor. The handicap accessible room for me and my mom was at the far end of the second floor...once off the small elevator mom had a long way to trudge with her cane. The hotel seemed to have only one luggage cart. The hall carpeting was old, dirty and dated. Every door all the way down the hall was dirty and carried many black marks - in severe need of paint. The maid did not make up our room after the first night and the front desk man had no idea why and did not apologize but said he'd make sure they did it the second night. The room was indeed cleaned every night thereafter.

My brother arrived one day after us and they inexplicably placed him on the third floor rather than near us. No idea why. I did not see his room but he said that it was comfortable enough.

The breakfast area is quite good. They use two adjoining 2nd floor guest rooms, one outfitted with a full kitchen. The breakfast choices are good and the attendant keeps it well-stocked.

The parking area for the main building is rather a mess. There is some covered parking, but most of it is being used as hotel storage, with thin plastic sheeting covering the opening (the sheeting constantly billows in the usual considerable wind...tacky).

We mercifully cut our stay one night short, deciding to move on to Sacramento in preparation for taking my brother back to San Francisco. This hotel does not meet the usual Quality Inn standards - and not only would we not stay again, we would not recommend this property to an enemy, let alone a friend.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seal Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Quality Inn in Auburn is right off the freeway and close to many restaurants. At check-in we had a very nice and professional front desk person, Conner. The motel is a bit worn out and shabby looking, The picture is misleading, in that most rooms are in a completely different and older building. There were about 50 bed frames stacked next to the pool. Trashy to say the least. The rooms were OK with an 80's style decor, but dirty with black streaks on the back of the doors. The motel has an underground parking area, but there is only room for about 10 cars because most of the area is being used as motel storage. Not a classy look! I was counting on having internet to book my next motel room, but the internet provider is a joke! I couldn't log on after trying all night, it appears to just be a weak and inadequate internet provider. It seems that there are cost cutting measures going on everywhere at this motel. The manager looked as if he was doing everything at the cost of good service. He was doing room maintenance as well as running the front desk. Needless to say, he wasn't at the front desk when we needed him. He lacked professionalism and never said a word about our wait or the fact that we couldn't get our door to lock and had to switch rooms. He said we just didn't shake and jiggle it enough. Haha, we did all of that, even though that shouldn't be included in the cost of a room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
EAGLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Many hotels look good on the outside but disappoint once inside. The Auburn Quality Inn is the reverse. Don't be put off by the aging exterior, inside my room had clearly been renovated, was spotlessly clean and well appointed with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Very solid value.

There are several decent restaurants close by including the wonderful Black Bear Diner. Also a good Raley's supermarket with coffee & sandwich bar, and several gas stations.

Good place to make a stop on I80 to or from the coast and a little away from the Auburn town center which can get very crowded, especially in summer.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms at the back - other side from the I80 freeway - are very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Oakland, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a last minute hiking getaway. The customer service was excellent, but the room itself was what I expected for the price: average. The bed was a bit stiff, but I slept comfortably enough (after a few drinks). It was relatively clean, except the shower curtain had a few brown stains, and one of the bath towels had brown spots (maybe dryer burns)?

I don't really have any wonderful or terrible things to say about the place. It served its purpose. I did ask for a room away from the freeway because I read some of the past reviews, and it was a good call.

Oooo, a nice thing about it is that there was a good restaurant within walking distance: Lou La Bonte's

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Had two weeks in California, 8 different hotels and this one was the rock bottom.
Staff was friendly and room was spacy, but unfortunately we got for Thanksgiving the room from freeway side and tehre was no sound isolation. So You need ear plugs here.

Iwas shocked at breakfast: all plates cups and cutlery was disposable. There were two people just sitting and watchin us to create loads of waste. They could have as well been doing the dished instead. The breakfast was a very basic and made of the low price stuff.
Also the electronic lock of our room was sometimes not opening.
I have no reason to come back and please inform on the web page about disposable cutlery!

Room Tip: Only inside yard side or with earplugs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Quality Inn for 4 nights while we visited a 3-day festival in the Sierra Nevada, and we pretty much got what we paid for.

As mentioned in the previous review by Cleo, we also had to deal with the car alarm going off all the time, but earplugs really helped with that problem. The mattress was very bouncy and saggy, so the sleep comfort wasn't the best, but you can't really expect the quality of memory foam mattresses for the low price per night you will pay when staying here.

Being on the second floor, the wireless internet was very spotty to say the least, so that I ended up being more on my 3G connection than on the WiFi.

We only managed to have breakfast once during our stay, but it was very good and filling.

On the fourth and last day, I noticed a bug crawling up the door, but I can't really tell what sort it was because it was quickly squished by the heel of my shoe. :P

The reason I still give it 3/5 stars is mainly because of the front desk staff, which has always been very friendly and helpful, especially Hannah who always had a smile for you.

It is also very close to some good restaurants, like Lou La Bonte's, and the local Denny's and Original Pete's have very charming staffs which make them worth a visit.

Finally, the showers do indeed get very hot very fast, so better keep a hand on the cold water faucet until you found your temperature. ;)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ukiah, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel to attend a meeting. A alarm in a parked car went off every 1/2 hour to an hour all night. Finally contacted the front desk. Was told they (staff) couldn't do anything about it. Suggested going to their door. Said they did and no one answered the door. NOTE: hotel doesn't take vehicle information so how did they know which customer was with the car? Suggested they tow the car, again, can't/won't do that.Said the police wouldn't/couldn't do anything either. Was the worse night ever spent at a Quality Inn (and I've stayed at a lot). Next morning learned from another customer that this was the 2nd night this alarm issue happened. Lots of customers upset. When I asked about compensation for our lost night, was given the manager's card.
TV Remote: Room didn't have a tv remote in it. Called front desk. Was told they would get back to me in about 15 minutes. Finally went to the front desk, waited and waited, finally was handed a remote.
Internet: Hotel advertises wireless internet, even has a card on top of the tv advertising wireless. Was not given any code when we checked in. Again called the front desk to get a code. Was told there was no wireless in the "back rooms" and would have to use the ethernet cable in the room. Ethernet cord was short and couldn't use on the bed.
Housekeeping: clearly housekeeping doesn't move furniture to clean. Lots of dirt and stuff behind the cabinets, chairs, table, etc.
This is one hotel to avoid until the management changes.

Room Tip: Would not stay at this hotel again.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!