“A Lot of Little Things” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
San Francisco, California
“A Lot of Little Things”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Chose it for a one-night stay on a holiday family visit. At a glance, the Best Western Golden Key seems a typical American motel. Good first impression made by reception staff – fast, efficient, courteous, even on a busy holiday. Got the exact room I asked for at the promised price (a special discount price at that). The room was good sized and CLEAN, right down to the TV remote. (Tons of free channels btw.) Decor is simple and pleasant. Bathroom is spacious with decent towels. The usual shampoos, but toothpaste? Just ask at the desk for that or other forgotten basics, all for free. They even have a "useful" binder of community information, best I've seen. Nice sized swimming pool and hot tub, which in most places get covered and shut by the October. Here, they have an inflated dome for enjoying a nice winter swim. For sleep, the king-size bed was welcoming and little noise from the near-by interstate intruded. (The farther away from it the better, of course.) The stay ended with breakfast. The selection was what you would expect with fresh made waffles the winner. Check out was smooth and quick, and off we went. A lot of little things to like, and not a single off note. A very well run motel. We will be back on the next holiday visit.

Room Tip: Best Western web site had best rates.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our newly adopted use of the "clean remote" which is part of our Ultra Clean Housekeeping Regiment. We have just removed the pool's inflated dome for the season so now our guests can enjoy the fun of sunbathing on the lounges.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We found the Best Western-Golden Key to be a nice place. It was clean, comfortably
and a good price. The hotel is close to a couple restaurants, gas and some shopping.
The continental breakfast was quite sufficient to get you started. They have a set up for
making your own waffles. Coffee and a couple waffles with peanut butter and jelly
works well. This is the place I’ll stay when I’m in the area!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our hotel recently. I am so glad you and your family enjoyed yourselves and we look forward to having you stay again in the near future.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

What can I say about this hotel, but praises! What was to be a start of our birthday get-away turned into a nightmare when we were stuck in the snow on Dutch Flat. The car had to be towed and we needed a place to stay that evening. We had to ride with the tow-truck to the hotel, hungry and tired and upset. From the start, the front desk was so compansionate to our dilemma. She assigned us a room almost right across their heated pool and hot-tub. The hot-tub was closed, maybe because it was snowing and hailing. But the pool was open. Both my fiance and I took advantage of it before having dinner. It was great to have a snow and surf shop on the other side of the street, so I was able to get myself a swimsuit, in winter! The warm and steamy pool was great to relieve some of the stress we were both feeling. This was suppose to be his present for his birthday, heading to Reno. Our car was taken to the local dealership, but wouldn't be looked at until the following morning. When tomorrow came, we got a call from the mechanic and he said it would take the whole day to finish the job. I spoke with Bill from the front desk that morning and he was absolutely wonderful! He not only gave us a very late check-out, 4PM, we didn't have to pay any additional charges. Apparently, the entire hotel staff had heard of our nightmare. We were recommended to go into the city proper, which was great. The town and the people of Auburn are all heart! We will deifinely stay at this hotel again. We had a wonderful night's sleep, the breakfast area was very homey and food was filling. The room we had was clean and comfortable. The pool was an absolute perk. But mostly, we just love the staff and management! Ms. Lynn Lundberg, the General Manager, I give you props for having a wonderful staff and a very clean hotel! You will definitely see us again! You made this nightmare into a perfect memory for my fiance and I!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review of your stay with us recently. The weather doesn't always cooperate with plans and I am sorry you encountered such poor weather and car repair problems but glad to see that my staff were able to help you. Our covered pool allows our guests to enjoy the heated pool during the worst of storms in the Winter Months and when the covering is removed in May allows for sunbathing during the summer months. I hope you will return soon and enjoy our hotel spa and pool again.
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel is very well kept. The carpets, furniture, and bathroom felt pretty new. The room I had was close to hwy 80 and the truck noise was noticeable. Ask for a room in one of the back buildings or as far away from the highway as possible.

The pillows were great, but the bed was not very firm. It felt like a lower quality bed. The tv was new and had all the cable channels, but the room was not well lit, with separate lamps, making it hard to read in bed easily.

The breakfast is continental. When I made my waffles there were no cups with lines to help get the right amount of batter out of the machine. I unknowingly over filled mine and was scolded by one of the managers "That's way TOO much"! Ya think? I thought I was putting in the right amount because of the cups the hotel put out. But really, a minor annoyance.

All in all, a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor in one of the buildings farthest from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to write a report on your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that our breakfast attendant did not assist you with the waffle making, and apologize for any misunderstandings. We have just recently completed the upgrade on all of our Double Queen Room Mattresses and plan on replacing our King Mattresses in these coming years. The back building that is farthest from the freeway is where we have all of our Double Queen Rooms and the King Size Beds are in the other two buildings. We have a total of 18 Double Queen Rooms in the one building and 49 King Beds with the one Roll in Shower Queen Handicapped Room in the other two buildings.
san fran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

this is definitely one of the better BW. Updated, hotel type furniture, similar to a Holiday Inn Express but 30 dollars less. Clean ,well kept, flow thru air with windows that open on both sides of room. Way better than other chain options in Auburn which can be gross. This ine is a winner
and I dont say that very often about any chain rooms.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Grants Pass, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We sat for 2 hours north bound on I-80 to Reno area about 50 miles west of Truckee. So from 4 in the afternoon until 6 P.M. we sat and watched emergency vehicles pass on the road sides and about 1 1/2" of snow fall. Pretty setting but we would have liked to moved on. Cal-trans kept indicating we would move in about 30 minutes and we heard that about every 15 to 30 minutes. We were near the front of the traffic mess. Appeared there was a bad accident about a 1/2 mile ahead. A couple of spin-outs. After our 2 hours we finally started up. Hooray, we are moving! About 50 yards is what we moved, to the off ramp, down and under the freeway and return to Sacramento. We had to turn around, no through traffic because of the accident and heavy snow ahead. On the way to Sac. my wife was working the AAA Tour Book looking for resonable motels. We felt Auburn might be good because it would save us going all the way back to Sac. Several hotels listed but "wow", $129 a night, $99 a night. We just wanted a clean hotel to sleep at, not to buy a room. Yes, I'm cheap, well maybe just frugal. Clean room and shower is all we needed. Anyway, my wife found this hotel at $77 a night. We drove to it and it looked clean from the outside. They have 68 rooms. Very nice lady at the front counter. I always ask if they have had any bedbug problems in the last 6 months and she said no and actually showed me a device that she call a "wand". It gives off a blue light and shows the bugs if they are there. Pretty neat to know and she also told me what they would have to do if they were spotted. They would spray the room and then pretty much strip the room, carpets and all to a bare room, walls, carpets, everything tossed out and then a re-spray. Drastic but super to hear and to know. By the way, after reading up on bedbugs, I have learned that if you ask if they have had any problems and they say no and you do become infected, carry them home, etc., that they are open to a lawsuit. I don't want the bugs nor the money but it is good to know. Anyway, the room was not a new or a perfect room but it was clean and fresh smelling. Shower/tub and toilet with a door and double sinks in the main room. Nice layout. One sink was clogged and we told front desk when we checked out and they did write up a form for it. Breakfast room had hot and cold items but was very small. We actually carry a small plastic tray and I go get our cereal, juice, toast and bring it to the room while my wife is getting ready. No big problems at this place but if they were full you might have to park a couple of hundred feet away from your room. In other words parking was tight. Burger King right next to motel and they have little desert sundays for a buck each. Nice treat after going to Denny's about a 1/2 mile away and getting good food but bad service. We would stay at this hotel again. Nice staff, clean room and you could not hear your neighbors. Extremely quiet in room. Sorry for the long disortation but I wanted you to know that if something comes up during a trip that just by relaxing and taking care in your motel choice that you can still enjoy your trip. God Bless.

Room Tip: We were in the very back building that had a large grassy lot behind it. Very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to create a report about our hotel. I am so glad to read that you were finally able to relax after such a difficult time with the traffic and snow and appreciate your choosing our hotel to take shelter from the storm.
Incline Village, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Spent a night at this motel and it was very clean and included a mini fridge. No frills but for one night, we got a great night's rest. Front desk staff was very friendly and I would stay again if the need arose.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your stay at our hotel. I enjoy reading the comments from our guests and look forward to your staying with us again in the near future.

Been to BEST WESTERN Golden Key? Share your experiences!