“Good food but overrated ” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carpe Vino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 140 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sacramento Street
california
“Good food but overrated ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was the third time as we met local friends there who like it. Food was above average but they put pressure to join their wine club and I find their wine expensive(less but ONLY if you but 6 or more bottles) and their recommendations marginal, at best. Their wine list at the bar is expensive by the glass and are choices they suggest(many local and this isn't Napa or Bordeaux). The wine is the taste of the owners and to me, is disappointing.i am not a wine snob; but, neither are these guys the finest sommeliers! Caveat emptor! Better prices at total wines nearby and a far better selection and quality. This isn't a pan; but, neither is it a roaring endorsement. I would continue up the hill to Tahoe for better cuisine; but, not bad for a foothills dinner if in the area.

“Terrible all around...don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We had heard this was a pretty good restaurant in auburn. The food is awful,the service poor. And the wine prices are just ok. Although they have a good selection of wine, we have gotten better deals on 50+ bottles in other restaurants/ wine shops. Don't plan to return,too far to drive for just ok.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, California, United States
“Carpe Vino IS a Special Occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We visited Carpe Vino recently as a group of three couples celebrating a 67th birthday. Carpe has been a favorite of ours for years, and on this occasion they delivered quality, consistency and creativity as always. In the "mine room" we enjoyed an array of appetizers, main courses and desserts, all of which were delicious to taste and elegant to view. The wines we selected with help from Paul, our exceptional server, complemented our dinners perfectly, were interesting and reasonably priced. Carpe Vino, amiable, excellent. Thanks to Gary and especially to Paul for making this another special occasion for us.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sacramento
“A New Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Friend of ours have been raving about Carpe Vino and just had to take us for dinner. We arrived and walked into what seems to be a little wine shop and well, it is that too. We were taken into a small dining area and while the décor was understated, the table setting and wait staff gave you a sense that something special was about to happen. And it did!

Often times I read reviews or hear about great chefs with tons of talent and their menu sounds amazing and then the food pales in comparison to the chef write up or the menu description. This was NOT the case at Carpe Vino.

We ordered a Yellow Tail appetizer with cucumbers, charred watermelon and a “gin and tonic” gelee as well as the Lamb Meatballs with gypsy pepper harissa, cucumber yogurt and charmoula. Every single morsel was delightful. While the two appetizers have completely different flavor profiles there was a delicate balance and not one spice or flavor that overpowered another. Perfect Start!

A little salad of belgian endive bartlett pear, figs, bleu d’auvergne, walnut aillade was unbelievable. Again this dish had the perfect amounts of each element to create excellent flavor balance. Truly impressive and it is just a little salad.

Lucky me our friends know Chef Erik and a more than pleasant surprise landed in front of us between salad and dinner. Sweetbreads with crispy polenta and bacon and some other things that I can not recall (I drifted off to heaven for a moment). Not a professional review here so bear with me. Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I seriously wanted to lick my plate and every other plate on that table. What just happened to me??? Crispy, savory, sweet, rich, delicate, WOW! At this point I am so aware that this chef is truly gifted. I feel as if soon this chef will be so great I will be unable to get a table or afford his greatness so I better savor each bite, so I did!

Dinner for me a Spice Brined Pork Chop with summer beans, cipollini onions, elephant heart plum, sungold tomato. I am actually full at this point but of course the presentation is lovely and I must have a little. So glad I did! Hearty with a richness that feels light. Not sure how to describe this but he uses such fresh ingredients that it actually feels light while the spice and the chop are hearty and rich. Again Perfect balance! Oh how I wish I could create like this!

Did I say I was full? Well this part was true but if you recall I am certain that this chef is destined for great things and I am certain this is my one shot, so I took it. Peach Profiteroles’ with Viogner ice cream and peach caramel and a chocolate and earl grey ice cream with vanilla poached pears. We shared. We loved them.

Chef Erik came out to say hello and I wanted to hug him. He is humble and kind. I am certain that I have just eaten a meal prepared by a true food genius. He is one of the greats I am sure of that. And just because I want to make sure I can, I made my next reservation before we arrived home. I recommend you do this too!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Absolutely Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

An unpretentiously charming, intimately warm and inviting atmosphere. Yet if that were all there was, you might think it quaint but unexceptional. However layer in the complex, eclectic and stunningly delicious menu, the diversity of wines and the stellar service; you become immersed in a life experience you won't soon forget. We especially owe Paul our gratitude for making us feel so welcomed.

• Visited September 2013