“Great, locally owned spot” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 133 restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Chapel Hill
“Great, locally owned spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stopped in for coffee and a snack. In addition to the large selection of baked goods (my companion had the gluten-free brown sugar and banana scone), the menu looked delicious, and the chef was out on the floor making sure that the customers were happy. Excellent menu of coffee choices and large selection of loose teas. Wish we lived closer!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Auburn, California
“Great Tasting, Fresh and Local Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I've eaten at Tsudas a few times for lunch with my son. We both really enjoyed our food and I lked the variety and healthy choices on the kids menu (usually its garbage) -- and even my then 8 year old enjoyed it as well. I took the whole family there a few weeks ago on a Saturday for breakfast and was really impressed with the egg scramble choices and breakfast burritos. Our family doesn't eat all that often, so it's important when we do eat out that the food is great -- we'll definitely keep Tsudas on our dining out list.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auburn, California
“DO NOT CONTRACT FOR CATERING WITH THIS ESTABLISHMENT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

WARNING: DO NOT EVER CONTRACT WITH TSUDA’S FOR CATERING SERVICES. These people will presume to dictate to you what your level of satisfaction ought to be with their food and service, rather than allowing you to decide that as the customer. A recent business event my wife and I had catered by Tsuda’s was an unmitigated disaster. As our guests began arriving on the agreed upon time and day, there was no sign of the caterers or our food, despite the fact that we had given Tsuda’s a $200 deposit the day before. My wife called the restaurant to ask what was happening and found that they had us on their schedule for the next day. They made a hasty promise to prepare our food and deliver it within an hour and a half. We should have declined and cancelled--not doing so was a huge mistake.

At this point, with guests continuing to arrive, we placed a phone order to Papa Murphy’s for pizza, since we had no other food on hand. We drove to get the pizza, returned and cooked it, and served it--all before Tsuda’s was able to get anything to our house. Finally, 90 minutes late (the event was basically half over) they showed up with a bunch of dishes which we had not originally ordered when the deposit was made. With guests looking on, the catering crew hurriedly set up an array of foods we had not agreed upon, while we tried our best not to upset the event by venting our anger.

It gets worse: no one touched more than maybe 25% of the delivered food, and in fact several people asked if there were more pizza! Five stars for Papa Murphy’s. The event ended without further drama, but our negative experience wasn’t yet over. The amount of leftover food was so large that we couldn’t fit it all into our garbage cans, so we contacted Tsuda’s the following day to have them come get everything. They showed up and retrieved their serving trays and the cold food. At this point I asked the owner (not an employee--the owner) for a refund of our $200 deposit. She declined. Her position was that they had provided “a quality product.” When I reminded her that they had brought the wrong menu 90 minutes late, and had we not contacted them no food would have come at all, her response was pretty much that that was just too bad. Oops. Oh well. Stuff happens. So, she said, there was not going to be a refund, “okay?” My exact words at this point were, “No, not okay.” She then said good-bye and drove off.

So beware. If you have these people cater your event, customer satisfaction will not be on the menu. They are arrogant enough to talk down to you about what level of service and food quality you ought to happy with, regardless of your own opinion. You may be embarrassed, you may be unhappy, even angry, but, so what? They’ll tell you what you should accept. And then they’ll just keep your money.