“Weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
Benicia, California
“Weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I found this place on Travelzoo, and decided to drive the 90 miles from the bay area to get away from it all, even for a couple of days. Old Town Auburn was a surprisingly nice place to spend some time, and the people were very friendly...much less stressed than in the Bay Area. The Power Mansion Inn was a great find. Our room was clean and comfortable and had antique touches that made it a welcome experience from hotel chains. Alfred was a great host and attends well to his guests. We met 2 other couples traveling from nearby Roseville who also were enjoying the Inn. The beers at the pub which Alfred brews himself are phenomenal, and the breakfast is included which makes it all a great value. Highly recommend this place. We'll be back! Thanks Alfred! Paul and Hazra R., Benicia, CA.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Angels Camp, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here as a weekend get away. The staff was wonderful and the bed and breakfast was great. Beautiful rooms and loved the tea room. I would recommend this for families or couples looking for a great getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Alfred and Allen are both very nice people who care about your building a good vacation memory. We stayed in the Jim and Liz Power room where Herbert Hoover once stayed! The room takes you back as the mansion does to another place in time and all the furniture is antique. Its a clean, beautiful, well ordered, low pressure stay with a really nice breakfast: quiche, bacon, sausage, scones, and hash browns are included. The bedding was clean, the tub was great for relaxing, the TV has plenty of shows, and the internet works decently. The town is nice and it is very near everything! We got an excellent value for our stay and feel like we made some good friends in both Alfred and Allen. Our stay took place about midweek where there were 10 other rooms occupied in the house, but we never heard any of the neighbors.
By the way, they have an excellent tavern next door with 4 or 5 big screen TVs and about 80 homemade micro-brew beers, but the whole place is in a very decent atmosphere to bring the kids along if you wish. At night they served a very good buffet BBQ for around $10 per person.
Things we really enjoyed around Auburn included: Forest Hill Bridge over 700 foot tall with a great hike to the river far below; Edelweiss House of the Super Omelettes (can feed two person with 1 omelette); the antique shops downtown; the Courthouse museum tour; Hidden Falls Regional Park hike (only half a mile to the first falls); Power's Mansion Tea Room and sitting room.
If you were looking for a nice place to stay and have a wedding with everything you would need for that special occasion; this place would be a good choice.
WE will DEFINITELY come back!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Burlingame, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We booked the Power's Mansion because we had personal business to attend near Auburn and we love the area so we wanted to make a day out of it. We found this on Travelzoo and decided to buy two rooms so that my wife's parents could join us, we also traveled with our baby. Room we picked was spacious and comfortable, the Family Comfort room, worked out perfect with the baby. Had a big wrap around porch so that even though we were on the 2nd floor, access to the parking lot and our car was close and quick. Venue was historic, the type of Inn you walk around checking out the walls, pictures, furniture etc... Great weather allowed us to sit outside and have some wine we bought at a winery earlier and enjoy the sunset. Part of the deal was to visit the onsite Power's Club Pub which had us unsure at first as it is in an old office building, we then discovered it was very similar to an American Legion or VFW hall, so fun and quaint. 100+ beers on tap, hand crafted and created by the owner, Alfred Lee awaited, the Nutty Chocolate stout was our favorite. We got to sample too, the waitress and waiter handled the whole room well, and were super friendly. We later realized Alfred was one of the folks manning the room and we got to talking to him, and found he had an amazing history immigrating from Cuba. The food was buffet style, all sorts of meats like pulled pork, tri-tip, meatballs and a very good salad bar. The whole buffet was only $10. What was supposed to be a quick snack turned in to a big meal and we had a blast. You can also order off the regular menu, looked like pub fare like burgers. With the baby, we were up a couple of times at night and she likes fresh air, so I would go to the door and open it up, the place was so quiet and peaceful as we looked down up town. In the morning, the Power's Club turns in to breakfast where we had delicious french toast, quiche, potatoes, bacon and sausage, coffee and juice and great service again. Alfred must have a twin because he is every where all of the time at this place. It is clearly his passion and he has done a great job. He also operates a wine tour bus which we will check out in the future. The inn also hosts weddings, and he pretty much does all of it! Alfred obviously had success professionally before coming to Auburn, but his story and the hard work he has put in to the Power's Mansion Inn (he has owned it for 10 years) reminded me of why people leave every country in the world to live their American Dream. We can't wait to go back... note- lunch at Bootleggers was great, the downtown is exquisite, great antique shops and local gift shops.

Room Tip: My inlaws had a first floor room because we didn't want them to have to climb stairs, it was act...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We arrived at the Power's Mansion Inn and were greeted by a gentleman by the name Allan.
He was a very nice person, easy going. After the registration he took us for a short tour of the mansion, we were impressed by the charm of the late 1800's, the antiques that furnished the mansion were quite impressive.
We read some of the negative reviews that were posted on the web site and had to disagree with some them. People have to realize that is business is owned by Marriott, you have to adjust your sails where you go or no matter what you do. If you have had any extensive experience in travels around the world, you would realize this mansion is a mecca. In a verse in a famous Christmas carol, Do You See What I See? Open your eyes and you can see beauty anywhere you look! Let us enjoy life and appreciate in all we do. Alfred the owner is a terrific, kind, intelligent person and he is trying hard to make this place a wonderful place for all those that stay there and say when they depart, "WOW, THAT FUN AND ENJOYABLE.
Alfred, the owner gives every one that stays a very PERSONALIZED ATTENTION. If you are not satisfied with you visit there, GO THE THE MARRIOT HOTEL, I JUST CHECKED, THEY HAVE ROOM AT THE INN, People don't have to write such nasty reviews. My wife and I stayed and had a wonderful time there and will return in the near future! Thank you for your time!

Room Tip: Peaceful and very quiet, great food, loved Alfred!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I got the Travelzoo deal, and on the evening my boyfriend and I were on the road to the Powers Mansion, I got a call asking me where we were at about 5PM--not a nice, "what time should we expect you?" more like a, "where are you because we are about to lock up for the night?" I said we would be there at about 9PM and the man on the phone said that they may not be able to honor my Travelzoo discount because, "it spells out very clearly that you are to arrive between the hours of 2 and 4, but I will call 'so and so' and see what I can do." I got a call back and the second man I talked to was a little nicer and said that they would work it out...this time. Okay, Travelzoo confirmation email doesn't say anything about getting there between 2 and 4 or else. I looked up the email and I couldn't find what he was talking about. Also, he had the cajones to ask, "why are you coming so late?" to which I replied, "Uh, it's Friday and we had to get off work in San Francisco and it takes a couple of hours to drive to Auburn..." I know it's a bed and breakfast, but don't scold me for checking in sooo late: 9PM and tell me it's like "staying at a person's house." Yeah, kinda. Maybe. But it's not. It's a business, and I'm paying you a lot of money to stay there.
So, we arrived and were greeted nicely enough. The gentleman checking us in apparently didn't have the right key and had to call someone else to get it. We were introduced to our room and told that breakfast was at 9AM down the street/next door and where the glasses were and we could store food in their kitchen fridge if we needed to.
The posts on the poster bed were so wobbly you could just tap them and they'd shift about. The shower curtain was torn and falling off and don't make me talk about the grout. The heat was on with no way to control it and was quite hot all night. The room furnishings in general felt less quaint and historic and more rundown and disheveled. The lawn is short plastic grass which blankets the property. The setup for the afternoon tea, in the common space they have, looks lovely, but it's not for the guest breakfast. Apparently, the nice tea cups and plates and decorations are for people who rent out the living space for tea parties.
The guest breakfast was in a not so cute public hall looking bar--The Powers Club. The coffee was weak and awful, orange juice and scones were great. The bacon was fantastic!
We did ask about the 2 craft beers each that of us were supposed to receive with my Travelzoo coupon, but apparently they were draft beers that we would have had to drink at 5PM the day before, so oh well...
Needless to say, it was an okay place to sleep and the breakfast was appreciated. The scones were very much enjoyed the next day (had them taken to go for the road.) But, the hospitality was awkward, the furnishings and general state of the place was pretty funky. Seriously, two of the main things I care about the most in a hotel, bed and breakfast, place I am sleeping, is the bed and the bath/shower; the bed was falling apart and so was the shower... For the $100 I paid, I was a bit dissapointed, but for the $200 it usually runs, I would have been pissed. It's not that it was terrible (thus not the 'terrible' score,) but it wasn't what they were promoting, and it certainly doesn't deserve the high score on Tripadvisor that it currently has.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This review is really a two part review; one for the Power's Mansion Inn, and the other for the associated Power Club Restaurant and Brewery, although I believe both are owned by the same people. As far as the Pub is concerned, I would give this establishment a 5 out of 5. We had a buffet dinner there, and a breakfast, the latter of which was part of the B and B deal. Both were very good meals; good quality and plenty of food to eat. The host, Alfred, his brother-in-law-,and the helpers were very genial, and efficient. For any beer afficiando, this is probably the place in North America to be. Alfred has 100 plus micro brews on hand for you to try. It's an incentive to keep coming back, as no one could come close to sampling even a handful of his beers in one sitting. I am a lager fan, and really enjoyed the two that I had that evening. Alfred generously allowed me to sample a number of brews before deciding which ones to take a full pint of. Alfred's obvious passion for the brewing process shows through.
We spent the night at the main House, a restored Victorian house,with all sorts of charm, and ambiance. Our room was fine with reminders of what it must it must have been like to stay in a place like this many years ago. The parlor, and reception area are replete with antiques that show off this era. Housekeeping was a bit of an issue, with no towels supplied with the room until asked for. We overheard other guests at breakfast express other concerns related to the housekeeping issue. I prefer to think that Alfred is slowly trying to pump some of his profits back in to restoring the Mansion to bring it up to standards,but I have no idea of what is really happening. I wish him all the best in these endeavors, as,if he can bring the B,and B standards up to where the restaurant is, he will have a truly first class establishment. Good luck Alfred in your future efforts. I would definitely recommend this establishment, especially if the traveller has a bit of a sense of adventure. Beer lovers- go there- it's amazing.

Room Tip: Travellers will really like this establishment, especially if they have a sense of adventure. Not al...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
#5 of 7 in Auburn
3.0 of 5 stars 116 reviews

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!