“A Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
nevada city
“A Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We live 45 minutes from our house in Nevada City, CA to Auburn, CA and booked a room at Powers Mansion Inn to celebrate my birthday and to explore Old Town Auburn as well as the downtown area. I booked the room but my wife wanted better outside access to take our dog out.
Management was very happy to accommodate our needs. The mansion was built in the end of the 1800's so the rooms are individually different so if the one you booked is not for you just ask for a change if available. We were happy with our room and slept well. The Inn has an Irish pub next door and it offers 110 different hand crafted beers brewed in the pub building. We tried several and they were wonderful.
Alfred, the owner personally cooked a wonderful breakfast for the guests at 9AM. Alfred is a very friendly and personable fellow with a very interesting background. We enjoyed talking to him and to Allen, his brother-in-law. The interesting downtown area is just one block away and has several good restaurants. Old Town is an easy 1 mile walk or an easy drive. We had a good time at breakfast talking to other guests and they were all very interesting.
We had such a good time we look forward to retuning. The Mansion reminded us of B&Bs we visited in England.

Room Tip: Check several rooms to suit your needs and desires. Call and ask questions about room features.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Had our office Christmas Party hosted by Alfred. This was our second year. The first was great but this surpassed it. Alfred arranged the food to our specifications and it was delicious and plentiful served buffet style per our request.
He and his staff were very attentive though not intrusive. We even had a lovely area arranged for our gift exchange. Overall excellent. We'll be back for our next office party!

• Stayed December 2013
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stay here and you will find out that this place is not reported as advertised on ANY web site controlled by Powers Mansion of Auburn, California and by some of the reported top notch reviews. We have stayed in hotels and motels across this country and NEVER experienced such blatant misrepresentation of the facts concerning the accommodations or services offered. The worst reviews you come across concerning this place are extremely accurate and spot on. I wanted to keep this review short and warn others to stay away until Alfred gets things in order and repairs the obvious broken window latches, dirty carpets, dirty arm pads on the lobby sofas, etc. Not to mention the lousy guest services...just too much to list. The food served was NOT at the B&B, but at the bar around the corner. It was not gourmet food, but tasted like fast food, and we had to help ourselves to food served at a buffet, like you find at Hometown Buffet. After arriving at this place we were stunned! We arrived on Sunday and left on Tuesday this past weekend. My wife and I agreed to be positive and hope for the best, though our gut feelings told us to take the financial loss and run from this place (we aren't rich so the money needed to stay elsewhere was not there). We drove 3 hours to get to this place and it was already early evening. But against all better judgment, we stayed and tried to make it fun, light, and romantic. I am still reeling from anger as to how I let myself be bamboozled to stay the entire 3 days and 2 nights at this place. I wish I had left and just drove back home. I am still disgusted by my experience, holding back to say what I really want to. STAY AWAY from this place until Alfred cleans up the place and fixes things up. Alfred was nice if you asked the right questions and snapped back rudely if we asked him something he did not like, making us feel like we were idiots. My wife and I are easy going and are not the confrontational type. And we never let on to Alfred as to how disgusted we were. Yeah, good beer, BUT beware of this DIRTY and DISGUSTING place. Wow! I can't believe myself. In all my 38 years of staying at places while traveling, I thought I would never give such a negative review. Just typing this out is causing me the deep anxiety and stress i felt staying there. YUCK!

Room Tip: Stay out the HONEYMOON suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This place is a huge disappointment. When going to a B&B, you pay for the little extras. This place has zero. Its a dump. The room was filthy. Run down, nothing nice at all. Broken lamp, saggy bed, dirty walls. Had a fireplace but had to ask for logs. Bathroom disgusting with holes in linoleum. I won't even get into the bathtub situation. The gourmet breakfast was a joke at the owners bar/restaurant around the corner. We had drunks sreaming the f word until 1:30. Six car alarms went off that same night. No rest or relaxation on this trip. My wife had never been to a B&B and I had told her how wonderful they are. I have never had a bad experience with one until now. They have a nice tea room and a kitchen but they do nothing with it for it's guest. Just another way for them to make money and neglect their guests. The grass there is bad astrturf. No coffee in the kitchen, no service, the owner/mgr was never around. Don't waste your money at this place. I regret I did.

Tahoe Vista
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I had the misfortune to book this place without seeing any of the "bad" reviews. We returned to our home last night exhausted because of the loss of sleep from the previous night in this piece of crap. Please, do yourself a favor and read the other "one star" reviews and save yourself from the same grief. In a word, Powers Mansion B&B is FILTHY! We have stayed in places much older than this one and none of them were dirty. It has nothing to do with the age of the property, it has to do with care and maintenance. We regret that we didn't just walk out of the place, but we had already paid and justified the sense of discomfort. We got up the next morning and left in the same clothes that we came in because we didn't even open our bags for fear of contaminants, the smells everywhere in the room were disgusting. The thought of breakfast from these same hosts was revolting, and now having read some of the low star reviews, feel that we made the right choice.

Room Tip: A park bench would be a better choice.
Sacramento, CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay, the rooms will take you back in time. The owners are such sweethearts, Alfred is one of a kind. Wait until ypu try his breakfast. I have never had a better breakfast that this in a bed and breakfast. And the rooms are adorable and make you feel like your in another world. What a lovely place. I will return and if I ever get married, this is my place. I loved it and you will too.

Room Tip: the honeymoon suite was so beautiful, fireplace, Jacuzzi tub, oh how romantic
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The two nights I spent in this Bed & Breakfast while in the area for the wedding of a friend were very pleasant. The 1880's Victorian house is very charming and comfortably furnished for guests. Despite the age of the house, it was so quiet that I wondered if I were the only guest, but saw plenty of other cars in the parking lot and met other guests coming and going. I stayed in The Power Room, and loved reading in the cozy bay window. Remember, this is not a spa resort, so don't come looking for fancy modern amenities, but, if you enjoy quirky, historic and fun, you should enjoy your stay here as much as I did. The adjacent Irish pub has good food, and is convenient for the complimentary breakfast as well as dinner without driving. The location of the inn is in a quiet neighborhood, and close to lots of great shopping in the old town district of Auburn.

Room Tip: Check out the description of each room on the Power's Mansion Inn website and choose the one tha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
#4 of 7 in Auburn
3.0 of 5 stars 117 reviews

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!