“The Complete Package = Care Free and Epic Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Power's Mansion Inn
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   195 Harrison Ave, Auburn, CA 95603   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
Auburn, California
“The Complete Package = Care Free and Epic Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I were recently married at the Powers Mansion in September. I couldn't have imagined a more wonderful wedding. Everything was perfect. All the required venues needed for a wedding housed at a centralized location. Married on a beautiful sunny day, under the shade of a majestic old oak tree on the mansion grounds. Then a romantic reception in the ballroom, that turned into an epic dance party full of fun and great memories. If you needed a break from the music you could walk across the hall to the quiet and intimate Power Club, a classy full bar and Irish Pub. Once inside you have the welcome task of choosing between a well made cocktail or a multitude of custom craft beer. After dancing the night away, and partaking in a fair share of alcoholic beverages there is no need for concern with a sober ride home or taxi as the Powers Mansion is also a Bed and Breakfast after all. When ready, retire to the Mansion, with enough space for an entire wedding party, and pass out for a few hours only to wake up to a wonderfully prepared breakfast back in the Irish Pub. The Powers Mansion is the complete package, absolutely every single service and venue requirement fulfilled, for a wonderful and memorable wedding. We will be forever indebted to Alfred and the staff of the Powers Mansion. Thank you again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We purchased a mid-week one-night stay in this charming Victorian Inn through Travelzoo for $79 plus $16 tax charged by the inn. Parking is in the lot adjacent to the back gate to the inn. We had booked the Gold Room which has its own private porch with café table and chairs. Since we had a ground floor room, rolling our suitcases down a short distance over the synthetic grass was no problem. The friendly innkeeper Alice showed us around the property- the common rooms are delightfully decorated by the High Tea business which is run out of the inn. We were welcome to use the kitchen refrigerator to store our food we had purchased earlier. If you bring your own tea bags or coffee, you are free to use the kitchen and dishes to prepare your drinks. Alice informed us that besides breakfast our booking included a 5pm snack and two micro brew beers in the adjacent Power Club Irish Pub a few steps from the inn. This is also the place where the sumptuous breakfast is prepared and served personally by the owner of the inn Alfred Lee. Alfred came to greet each guest personally, and we had a delightful chat about the history of the inn. At the discounted rate we did not expect too much, but we were positively surprised. We just wish Auburn were closer to our home in Hawaii so we could visit more often. Yes, as golfnpal noted, one of the lamps was not plugged in, but I easily located the plug under the table. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Remember that this is an old restored building, so don't get picky about minor inconveniences. If no one is at the front office to answer your questions, call the innkeeper whose phone number is posted all around the property.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room if you have lots of luggage.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I recently purchased a 2 night stay from Travel Zoo for this property. Enjoyed a lovely long weekend in the California Gold Country. The Inn is a charming Victorian. They offer High Tea, which I did not partake of, though it looked delightful.

What I truly enjoyed was the private Irish Bar! Wow! Had a great time watching sports and enjoying the beer that they brew on-site. Very good. Also enjoyed daily breakfast in the pub.

There are 19 wineries in the area which are truly producing some very nice wines. An overall pleasant and relaxing getaway. Also, those that purchase the Travel Zoo voucher can enjoy return visits at the same discounted rates. Since I have friends in the area, I do plan staying there again.

Room Tip: I would love to stay in the gold room, which looks amazing. I did stay in the rose room, which was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and had a great time. The outdoor ceremony was nice and the reception room great. We had so much fun at the reception dancing and the restaurant was a great space to cool off and get a beer. My husband and I stayed at the Mansion after the wedding and enjoyed a yummy breakfast the following day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Oroville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived to find the very attractive Queen Anne (I think) building we expected. Unfortunately, your first view is the back of the building as that is were the parking area is located. Since there was no pathway, or other guidance, to the entrance we entered through a backdoor where we were met by an Inn Keeper/manager. After registering in a small attractive area, I asked her name and found it is Alice and that she does not live on-site or even near the Inn. We were told nothing about the Inn, things to do or see in the area, places to eat, or even the checkout time. Noticing the lovely dining area we asked if this is where breakfast is served; the answer was no. Breakfast is served in another building a short walk from the Inn; just hope the weather is good or else you must deal with the elements. It was not until the next morning that we met the owner/innkeeper, Alfred, a very personable man who prepared and served breakfast, which was good, certainly not gourmet but good.

My wife and I stayed in room 3 (Jim & Liz), which is fairly well appointed with a comfortable bed, antique pieces (no chairs), a CRT TV with satellite programming, and a well lit bathroom. Unfortunately, the rug looked dirty and had a bad stain from something. In addition, a bed-side table light did not have anywhere to plug-in, numerous electric wires were entangled on the floor near the TV, shabby window curtain rods, and only one of two windows had a pull down shade to reduce outside light at night (there was a flood light just outside this room that stayed on until midnight). We also had to wonder about the house keeping as we found two burnt matches on the bathroom sink ledge (nothing in this room required the need for matches). We also discovered that the medicine cabinet, which needed to be refurbished, is installed excessively high and only a tall person could operate the light above this cabinet without a stool.

A traveler planning to stay at this Inn should be aware that there may be no hair dryer in their room, no cards or games to pass the time, no TV in the parlor, no apparent reading material and no coffee or tea was available in the morning before breakfast nor does this Inn have bottled water or any other beverage available for guests.

This was far from our first B&B experience and, unfortunately, I must say that we came away feeling that we missed the B&B experience we were hoping for and might as well have stayed in a good motel.

Room Tip: Travel light to this Inn as it may not be easy move luggage up and down stairs inside and out.
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband, our 10 lb. dog, and I planned a stay at South Lake Tahoe, but I saw this place on Travelzoo so we opted to go a day earlier (Sept. 1st) and spend it in Auburn. I called to see if we could take our dog and Alfred replied "I love dogs!".
When we got there I was a little surprised that the Inn is right in "Old town". I thought it was more rural from the pictures. Just my perception.
The nice lady at the front desk showed us around a bit and then took us to our room. My husband had looked at the rooms online and requested the "Chinese" room. We didn't care for that room because it was on the 2nd floor, very dark and in the interior of the house with no windows to open. We asked if we could look at other rooms and she accommodated. We ended up with a room on the 1st floor with an outside patio. It was much better. The shower worked well also which is a big plus for me.
We went to the "Power Club" for the beer and appetizers that evening. They were very generous and good. Albert also poured his yummy wines. We had a peaceful nights sleep. The next morning at 9:00 they have complimentary breakfast, again at the "Power Club". I thought it would be nice to have it in the dining room of the mansion, but it was fine to walk across the parking lot to the club again. Breakfast was very good and I believe cooked by Albert himself. This is a busy guy! I made a pot of coffee at the Mansion kitchen earlier so we could have something to get us to 9:00.
Alfred is an interesting man and I would have liked to meet his wife , but we did hear a lot about her and the children. The Travelzoo deal is very good and I would stay there again if I found myself in the area. I have recommended the Mansion to others. Yes, it is old but that's it's charm.

Room Tip: Look online 1st. If you don't like your requested room when you arrive, ask to see the other ava...
Pleasanton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just read the review from another occupant of room #9 and I agree with every word.
The picture on the internet shows a lovely mansion front. But you won't see the front. The driveway is permanently gated shut, you can't even peek in because it's solid boards. You come in the back way, across the plastic lawn (not one of the lush, realistic looking plastic lawns, but a thin sad looking fake). Try to find your way in -- there is no signage, nothing. The workers were not terribly friendly. We bought a Travel Zoo deal: $79 per night includes 2 beers and an appetizer, plus breakfast the next day. We bought two nights, but the second night we were charged for the beers and appetizer, and told that only applied to one night. In addition, we were charged $32 for tax on the room. That's 20%, which is more than anywhere else I've been.
Room #9 is outside, with one window covered with a heavy plastic cover that can't be removed. Might as well have no window. The decor was "lighthouses" which is just weird for the Gold Country, a hundred miles from the ocean. There was no desk. There was no chest of drawers, no drawers in a bedside table, no where to unpack clothes other than a freestanding closet. We left clothes in the suitcase. The bathroom likewise had no place to put anything. The sink had no plug. They left us a bar of Ivory soap that had been damaged -- dropped and dented. The claw foot tub is about four feet high -- good luck climbing in and out without tripping. In fact, the whole property was not just inaccessible for those with mobility issues, but downright dangerous in spots. Wedding guests better leave the high heels at home and wear hiking boots.
They advertised 25 craft beers on tap. They had about 8, most of which were IPAs. They said they were working on breaking a record for having 100 craft beers on tap, but constantly selling out. They had five weddings coming up in five days. Well, glad business is good, but it seemed like false advertising all around.
I thought the breakfast was pretty good, could have used some fresh fruit, but otherwise fine.
The bed was advertised as a queen, but was a very uncomfortable full size. Went home with a backache. The TV was extremely old and didn't even get the Giants game.
We weren't made welcome in the house itself. Several rooms were set up for tea, which we were told would be happening the next day. However, we weren't invited. This is a separate enterprise.
While we were relaxing -- difficult since there was only the tiny bed and one rickety chair, there was a disturbance of loud conversation and keys -- they were showing rooms to potential wedding people, and just came in. Said they didn't know anyone was there.
Next morning, housekeeping arrived and we were in the room. Asked her to come back later. She came back in a few minutes, asked if we needed anything, towels, and then left. The room was never made up at all. I guess you get one chance and you better be out of the room early if you want it cleaned or the bed made.
Having stayed in many B&Bs, this was the worst.

Room Tip: Ask for a room actually inside the house. Maybe those are nicer.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!