“Wonderful Weekend Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Weekend Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I recently purchased a 2 night stay from Travel Zoo for this property. Enjoyed a lovely long weekend in the California Gold Country. The Inn is a charming Victorian. They offer High Tea, which I did not partake of, though it looked delightful.

What I truly enjoyed was the private Irish Bar! Wow! Had a great time watching sports and enjoying the beer that they brew on-site. Very good. Also enjoyed daily breakfast in the pub.

There are 19 wineries in the area which are truly producing some very nice wines. An overall pleasant and relaxing getaway. Also, those that purchase the Travel Zoo voucher can enjoy return visits at the same discounted rates. Since I have friends in the area, I do plan staying there again.

Room Tip: I would love to stay in the gold room, which looks amazing. I did stay in the rose room, which was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and had a great time. The outdoor ceremony was nice and the reception room great. We had so much fun at the reception dancing and the restaurant was a great space to cool off and get a beer. My husband and I stayed at the Mansion after the wedding and enjoyed a yummy breakfast the following day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Oroville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived to find the very attractive Queen Anne (I think) building we expected. Unfortunately, your first view is the back of the building as that is were the parking area is located. Since there was no pathway, or other guidance, to the entrance we entered through a backdoor where we were met by an Inn Keeper/manager. After registering in a small attractive area, I asked her name and found it is Alice and that she does not live on-site or even near the Inn. We were told nothing about the Inn, things to do or see in the area, places to eat, or even the checkout time. Noticing the lovely dining area we asked if this is where breakfast is served; the answer was no. Breakfast is served in another building a short walk from the Inn; just hope the weather is good or else you must deal with the elements. It was not until the next morning that we met the owner/innkeeper, Alfred, a very personable man who prepared and served breakfast, which was good, certainly not gourmet but good.

My wife and I stayed in room 3 (Jim & Liz), which is fairly well appointed with a comfortable bed, antique pieces (no chairs), a CRT TV with satellite programming, and a well lit bathroom. Unfortunately, the rug looked dirty and had a bad stain from something. In addition, a bed-side table light did not have anywhere to plug-in, numerous electric wires were entangled on the floor near the TV, shabby window curtain rods, and only one of two windows had a pull down shade to reduce outside light at night (there was a flood light just outside this room that stayed on until midnight). We also had to wonder about the house keeping as we found two burnt matches on the bathroom sink ledge (nothing in this room required the need for matches). We also discovered that the medicine cabinet, which needed to be refurbished, is installed excessively high and only a tall person could operate the light above this cabinet without a stool.

A traveler planning to stay at this Inn should be aware that there may be no hair dryer in their room, no cards or games to pass the time, no TV in the parlor, no apparent reading material and no coffee or tea was available in the morning before breakfast nor does this Inn have bottled water or any other beverage available for guests.

This was far from our first B&B experience and, unfortunately, I must say that we came away feeling that we missed the B&B experience we were hoping for and might as well have stayed in a good motel.

Room Tip: Travel light to this Inn as it may not be easy move luggage up and down stairs inside and out.
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband, our 10 lb. dog, and I planned a stay at South Lake Tahoe, but I saw this place on Travelzoo so we opted to go a day earlier (Sept. 1st) and spend it in Auburn. I called to see if we could take our dog and Alfred replied "I love dogs!".
When we got there I was a little surprised that the Inn is right in "Old town". I thought it was more rural from the pictures. Just my perception.
The nice lady at the front desk showed us around a bit and then took us to our room. My husband had looked at the rooms online and requested the "Chinese" room. We didn't care for that room because it was on the 2nd floor, very dark and in the interior of the house with no windows to open. We asked if we could look at other rooms and she accommodated. We ended up with a room on the 1st floor with an outside patio. It was much better. The shower worked well also which is a big plus for me.
We went to the "Power Club" for the beer and appetizers that evening. They were very generous and good. Albert also poured his yummy wines. We had a peaceful nights sleep. The next morning at 9:00 they have complimentary breakfast, again at the "Power Club". I thought it would be nice to have it in the dining room of the mansion, but it was fine to walk across the parking lot to the club again. Breakfast was very good and I believe cooked by Albert himself. This is a busy guy! I made a pot of coffee at the Mansion kitchen earlier so we could have something to get us to 9:00.
Alfred is an interesting man and I would have liked to meet his wife , but we did hear a lot about her and the children. The Travelzoo deal is very good and I would stay there again if I found myself in the area. I have recommended the Mansion to others. Yes, it is old but that's it's charm.

Room Tip: Look online 1st. If you don't like your requested room when you arrive, ask to see the other ava...
Pleasanton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just read the review from another occupant of room #9 and I agree with every word.
The picture on the internet shows a lovely mansion front. But you won't see the front. The driveway is permanently gated shut, you can't even peek in because it's solid boards. You come in the back way, across the plastic lawn (not one of the lush, realistic looking plastic lawns, but a thin sad looking fake). Try to find your way in -- there is no signage, nothing. The workers were not terribly friendly. We bought a Travel Zoo deal: $79 per night includes 2 beers and an appetizer, plus breakfast the next day. We bought two nights, but the second night we were charged for the beers and appetizer, and told that only applied to one night. In addition, we were charged $32 for tax on the room. That's 20%, which is more than anywhere else I've been.
Room #9 is outside, with one window covered with a heavy plastic cover that can't be removed. Might as well have no window. The decor was "lighthouses" which is just weird for the Gold Country, a hundred miles from the ocean. There was no desk. There was no chest of drawers, no drawers in a bedside table, no where to unpack clothes other than a freestanding closet. We left clothes in the suitcase. The bathroom likewise had no place to put anything. The sink had no plug. They left us a bar of Ivory soap that had been damaged -- dropped and dented. The claw foot tub is about four feet high -- good luck climbing in and out without tripping. In fact, the whole property was not just inaccessible for those with mobility issues, but downright dangerous in spots. Wedding guests better leave the high heels at home and wear hiking boots.
They advertised 25 craft beers on tap. They had about 8, most of which were IPAs. They said they were working on breaking a record for having 100 craft beers on tap, but constantly selling out. They had five weddings coming up in five days. Well, glad business is good, but it seemed like false advertising all around.
I thought the breakfast was pretty good, could have used some fresh fruit, but otherwise fine.
The bed was advertised as a queen, but was a very uncomfortable full size. Went home with a backache. The TV was extremely old and didn't even get the Giants game.
We weren't made welcome in the house itself. Several rooms were set up for tea, which we were told would be happening the next day. However, we weren't invited. This is a separate enterprise.
While we were relaxing -- difficult since there was only the tiny bed and one rickety chair, there was a disturbance of loud conversation and keys -- they were showing rooms to potential wedding people, and just came in. Said they didn't know anyone was there.
Next morning, housekeeping arrived and we were in the room. Asked her to come back later. She came back in a few minutes, asked if we needed anything, towels, and then left. The room was never made up at all. I guess you get one chance and you better be out of the room early if you want it cleaned or the bed made.
Having stayed in many B&Bs, this was the worst.

Room Tip: Ask for a room actually inside the house. Maybe those are nicer.
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I received a very thoughtful gift from our son: a weekend stay at a bed and breakfast in beautiful Auburn, California My wife and I have stayed at several B&B’s in Northern California and the visits have always left us with fond memories of warm, welcoming facilities, innkeepers with an obvious passion for hospitality, and locales which were deserving of picture postcards, so we were excited about the trip. Then we visited Power’s Mansion Inn in Auburn.

We pulled in around 6pm on a Friday evening and parked in the lot next to the Inn. We proceeded through the gates and were surprised to find the entire historic inn surrounded by plastic artificial lawn with numerous artificial plants. Hmm, Astroturf at a B&B . . . odd. Okay, we thought. Maybe grass or groundcover doesn’t grow in Auburn. Yeh, that’s it. Next, we attempted to find where to check in. There were no visible signs, or paths to an entrance. And there wasn’t a soul to be found. So we started trying doors: first door was locked. The next door was locked; however there was a sign on the door which instructed guests to call a number if no one was around. Hmm, odd welcome for a B&B, but we called the number. We were connected to a voice mailbox which proclaimed the message: “mailbox is full.” Hmm, really odd. I try calling again, and someone answers – I presume the innkeeper, although he didn’t identify himself as such. He tells me he is over at “the pub” setting up for an event and will send someone over. Shortly, a couple of individuals arrive and let us in. One of the individuals – a nice young lady – checks us in and explains a few things. She shows us the kitchen and informs us that we may use the refrigerator for personal items since the rooms don’t have fridges, and she mentioned we can use the ice from the freezer. She then takes us to room number nine.

We enter the room and were utterly underwhelmed. It was a very small, very dark room with very cheap looking furnishings. The end tables were 3-legged particle board tables you get at Bed Bath & Beyond for $6 with wrinkled plain tablecloths, the bed was low to the floor because the mattress was thin and hard and low quality. The carpet was spongy (It later felt wet when we walked upon it without shoes). The attached bathroom was equally underwhelming. The floor was old dirty, stained, and torn linoleum. The clawfoot tub had been painted (poorly), the one small shelf over the sink was glass and was cracked and was hanging precariously from the wall. The bathroom door squeeked horrible – not great for your spouse when you get up in the middle of the night and don’t want to disturb them. The doorknob didn’t work properly. The tub/shower controls pounded every time we used them, and adjusting the water temp to avoid scalding and/or freezing was a chore. The Inn provided no bar soap, nor any place to put soap or shampoo while in the tub/shower. I tried using the soft soap dispenser that was provided for showering, but it became slippery and I dropped it the tub. It was ceramic and shattered into jagged shards. Nothing like picking up pieces of broken ceramic while you’re showering. We later went to the store to buy some bar soap and get a replacement soft soap dispenser (plastic, not ceramic). Note: plastic is a good choice for use in a shower. Plastic is not a good choice for landscaping. The one window in the room had a cheap room-darkening roll-up blind covering the whole window. It didn’t roll up. It just stayed down, permanently darkening the room rendering the room more a musty dungeon than a bright, cheerful room like you would expect in a B&B. The room was filthy. The tops of baseboards were dirty. Our socks got dirty from the floor. The entire room needed a paint job. Even something as trivial as the door peep hole was unsatisfactory. It was mounted so high that anyone under 5’9” would need a stool to look out. There was an obvious and utter lack of attention to detail.

I understand that the Inn is historic, i.e., old, so some features aren’t going to be up-to-date and new, but what we encountered had nothing to do with age. The innumerable shortcomings we encountered were more a reflection of an emphasis on cost control and not on guest satisfaction. It was beyond disappointing how badly this “B&B” compared to all the others we have stayed at. This Inn wasn’t a work of love by the owners (like we’ve seen at other B&B’s). It was a way for someone to make money.

After spending Saturday hiking in the area, we returned to the Inn to freshen up. We find the place being used as the venue for a wedding. In theory it would seem like a good place: cute gazebo and a grassy enclosed outdoor area for guests in Auburn, California. Unfortunately, the walkway around the gazebo was in disrepair with numerous tripping hazards (hope the bride doesn’t fall), and grass was plastic. Nice, it you’re looking for that kind of thing, I guess. As paying guests of the inn, what we got out of the wedding was a bunch of noisy wedding guests immediately outside our room (our room door lead outside and faced the gazebo), and empty beers can on our walk. It was gross.

But wait, it gets better. We entered our room to find that the bed was unmade. The towels were changed, but nothing else was done. Pretty odd for a B&B, but given what we had seen, not wholly unexpected. We needed to get some ice for a water bottle we used on the hike – maybe two cups of ice would be fine, not a cooler full. So, remembering what we were told at check-in, we headed over to the kitchen. There we found a woman preparing something on the counter. I asked the woman if I could get some ice. She gruffly responds that it’s not for guests! She needs it. I tell her about the instructions I received upon check-in, and she huffs something to the effect that the staff shouldn’t be telling guests that! Then she instructs be to hike across the parking lot to the pub next door to get ice from their ice machine. I persist and she grudgingly parts with 2 cups of ice. Unbelievable.

Another highlight (facetious) of our visit was the breakfast experience. All the guests are herded into the bar/restaurant across the parking lot at the same time: 9:00am – don’t sleep in and miss it (facetious). What you are served is anything but a B&B breakfast experience. You sit in a bar with TV’s blaring at 9 in the morning and are served greasy hash browns, greasy sausage, greasy bacon, greasy French toast, reconstituted orange juice, and stone cold quiche. No fruit, nothing fresh. It was as if I was eating at a truck stop in the 1950’s. And just to add to the ambiance, the window I’m sitting next to was caked with black mold. Yummy. It was disgusting. We got breakfast elsewhere the next day.

Upon completing our stay, feeling extremely shortchanged, I checked out. I informed the woman who assisted us – the only person present at check-out – that we were utterly dissatisfied with the experience, and that many serious shortcomings needed to be corrected (like black mold, no soap, wet spongy carpets, non-working window blinds, etc.) as they were safety and sanitation issues. The woman listened, and I checked out. I thought this crummy weekend experience was over. I was wrong.

Within about 15 minutes of driving away from the inn, my cell phone rings. My wife answers because I’m driving. He says he is the owner of Powers Inn. He immediately starts berating me and my wife for informing his employee of all the problems we had. He actually starts yelling at my wife! He says I should have talked to him about the problems. Well, I would have, if he was there. He wasn’t. I never met the guy. Not at check-in, not during the stay, and not at check-out. For a bed and breakfast, that is unheard of! Unbelievable.

This experience was awful. Everything about it. I strongly urge anyone considering staying at this place to find something else. The problems I encountered were clearly not flukes so your experience is likely to fall way short of the standards set by other properties. Don't be deceived by suspiciously high ratings.

Room Tip: Rooms at another facility would be your best bet, but if you insist on staying here, don't stay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stumbled across this place on the internet, what a find! My wife and I have stayed at a lot of B&B's and the Victorian/Historic houses are the best and this one doesn't let you down. We really enjoy the feeling of being in a house that is 100+ years old. If the walls could talk. The Price is reasonable, the breakfast was amazing cinnamon roll french toast and quiche. As for the TV's, places like this don't even need them or phones. We never turned ours on. The staff was very friendly and pleasant to be around. The owner Alfred is a character, very animated gentleman and fun to chat with, he made us feel welcome. The Beers and wines at there pub were very good as well. We will be back..... With friends!

Room Tip: This is a historic Victorian house don't expect the Ritz and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!