“Third-rate room” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
Pleasanton, California
“Third-rate room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just read the review from another occupant of room #9 and I agree with every word.
The picture on the internet shows a lovely mansion front. But you won't see the front. The driveway is permanently gated shut, you can't even peek in because it's solid boards. You come in the back way, across the plastic lawn (not one of the lush, realistic looking plastic lawns, but a thin sad looking fake). Try to find your way in -- there is no signage, nothing. The workers were not terribly friendly. We bought a Travel Zoo deal: $79 per night includes 2 beers and an appetizer, plus breakfast the next day. We bought two nights, but the second night we were charged for the beers and appetizer, and told that only applied to one night. In addition, we were charged $32 for tax on the room. That's 20%, which is more than anywhere else I've been.
Room #9 is outside, with one window covered with a heavy plastic cover that can't be removed. Might as well have no window. The decor was "lighthouses" which is just weird for the Gold Country, a hundred miles from the ocean. There was no desk. There was no chest of drawers, no drawers in a bedside table, no where to unpack clothes other than a freestanding closet. We left clothes in the suitcase. The bathroom likewise had no place to put anything. The sink had no plug. They left us a bar of Ivory soap that had been damaged -- dropped and dented. The claw foot tub is about four feet high -- good luck climbing in and out without tripping. In fact, the whole property was not just inaccessible for those with mobility issues, but downright dangerous in spots. Wedding guests better leave the high heels at home and wear hiking boots.
They advertised 25 craft beers on tap. They had about 8, most of which were IPAs. They said they were working on breaking a record for having 100 craft beers on tap, but constantly selling out. They had five weddings coming up in five days. Well, glad business is good, but it seemed like false advertising all around.
I thought the breakfast was pretty good, could have used some fresh fruit, but otherwise fine.
The bed was advertised as a queen, but was a very uncomfortable full size. Went home with a backache. The TV was extremely old and didn't even get the Giants game.
We weren't made welcome in the house itself. Several rooms were set up for tea, which we were told would be happening the next day. However, we weren't invited. This is a separate enterprise.
While we were relaxing -- difficult since there was only the tiny bed and one rickety chair, there was a disturbance of loud conversation and keys -- they were showing rooms to potential wedding people, and just came in. Said they didn't know anyone was there.
Next morning, housekeeping arrived and we were in the room. Asked her to come back later. She came back in a few minutes, asked if we needed anything, towels, and then left. The room was never made up at all. I guess you get one chance and you better be out of the room early if you want it cleaned or the bed made.
Having stayed in many B&Bs, this was the worst.

Room Tip: Ask for a room actually inside the house. Maybe those are nicer.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I received a very thoughtful gift from our son: a weekend stay at a bed and breakfast in beautiful Auburn, California My wife and I have stayed at several B&B’s in Northern California and the visits have always left us with fond memories of warm, welcoming facilities, innkeepers with an obvious passion for hospitality, and locales which were deserving of picture postcards, so we were excited about the trip. Then we visited Power’s Mansion Inn in Auburn.

We pulled in around 6pm on a Friday evening and parked in the lot next to the Inn. We proceeded through the gates and were surprised to find the entire historic inn surrounded by plastic artificial lawn with numerous artificial plants. Hmm, Astroturf at a B&B . . . odd. Okay, we thought. Maybe grass or groundcover doesn’t grow in Auburn. Yeh, that’s it. Next, we attempted to find where to check in. There were no visible signs, or paths to an entrance. And there wasn’t a soul to be found. So we started trying doors: first door was locked. The next door was locked; however there was a sign on the door which instructed guests to call a number if no one was around. Hmm, odd welcome for a B&B, but we called the number. We were connected to a voice mailbox which proclaimed the message: “mailbox is full.” Hmm, really odd. I try calling again, and someone answers – I presume the innkeeper, although he didn’t identify himself as such. He tells me he is over at “the pub” setting up for an event and will send someone over. Shortly, a couple of individuals arrive and let us in. One of the individuals – a nice young lady – checks us in and explains a few things. She shows us the kitchen and informs us that we may use the refrigerator for personal items since the rooms don’t have fridges, and she mentioned we can use the ice from the freezer. She then takes us to room number nine.

We enter the room and were utterly underwhelmed. It was a very small, very dark room with very cheap looking furnishings. The end tables were 3-legged particle board tables you get at Bed Bath & Beyond for $6 with wrinkled plain tablecloths, the bed was low to the floor because the mattress was thin and hard and low quality. The carpet was spongy (It later felt wet when we walked upon it without shoes). The attached bathroom was equally underwhelming. The floor was old dirty, stained, and torn linoleum. The clawfoot tub had been painted (poorly), the one small shelf over the sink was glass and was cracked and was hanging precariously from the wall. The bathroom door squeeked horrible – not great for your spouse when you get up in the middle of the night and don’t want to disturb them. The doorknob didn’t work properly. The tub/shower controls pounded every time we used them, and adjusting the water temp to avoid scalding and/or freezing was a chore. The Inn provided no bar soap, nor any place to put soap or shampoo while in the tub/shower. I tried using the soft soap dispenser that was provided for showering, but it became slippery and I dropped it the tub. It was ceramic and shattered into jagged shards. Nothing like picking up pieces of broken ceramic while you’re showering. We later went to the store to buy some bar soap and get a replacement soft soap dispenser (plastic, not ceramic). Note: plastic is a good choice for use in a shower. Plastic is not a good choice for landscaping. The one window in the room had a cheap room-darkening roll-up blind covering the whole window. It didn’t roll up. It just stayed down, permanently darkening the room rendering the room more a musty dungeon than a bright, cheerful room like you would expect in a B&B. The room was filthy. The tops of baseboards were dirty. Our socks got dirty from the floor. The entire room needed a paint job. Even something as trivial as the door peep hole was unsatisfactory. It was mounted so high that anyone under 5’9” would need a stool to look out. There was an obvious and utter lack of attention to detail.

I understand that the Inn is historic, i.e., old, so some features aren’t going to be up-to-date and new, but what we encountered had nothing to do with age. The innumerable shortcomings we encountered were more a reflection of an emphasis on cost control and not on guest satisfaction. It was beyond disappointing how badly this “B&B” compared to all the others we have stayed at. This Inn wasn’t a work of love by the owners (like we’ve seen at other B&B’s). It was a way for someone to make money.

After spending Saturday hiking in the area, we returned to the Inn to freshen up. We find the place being used as the venue for a wedding. In theory it would seem like a good place: cute gazebo and a grassy enclosed outdoor area for guests in Auburn, California. Unfortunately, the walkway around the gazebo was in disrepair with numerous tripping hazards (hope the bride doesn’t fall), and grass was plastic. Nice, it you’re looking for that kind of thing, I guess. As paying guests of the inn, what we got out of the wedding was a bunch of noisy wedding guests immediately outside our room (our room door lead outside and faced the gazebo), and empty beers can on our walk. It was gross.

But wait, it gets better. We entered our room to find that the bed was unmade. The towels were changed, but nothing else was done. Pretty odd for a B&B, but given what we had seen, not wholly unexpected. We needed to get some ice for a water bottle we used on the hike – maybe two cups of ice would be fine, not a cooler full. So, remembering what we were told at check-in, we headed over to the kitchen. There we found a woman preparing something on the counter. I asked the woman if I could get some ice. She gruffly responds that it’s not for guests! She needs it. I tell her about the instructions I received upon check-in, and she huffs something to the effect that the staff shouldn’t be telling guests that! Then she instructs be to hike across the parking lot to the pub next door to get ice from their ice machine. I persist and she grudgingly parts with 2 cups of ice. Unbelievable.

Another highlight (facetious) of our visit was the breakfast experience. All the guests are herded into the bar/restaurant across the parking lot at the same time: 9:00am – don’t sleep in and miss it (facetious). What you are served is anything but a B&B breakfast experience. You sit in a bar with TV’s blaring at 9 in the morning and are served greasy hash browns, greasy sausage, greasy bacon, greasy French toast, reconstituted orange juice, and stone cold quiche. No fruit, nothing fresh. It was as if I was eating at a truck stop in the 1950’s. And just to add to the ambiance, the window I’m sitting next to was caked with black mold. Yummy. It was disgusting. We got breakfast elsewhere the next day.

Upon completing our stay, feeling extremely shortchanged, I checked out. I informed the woman who assisted us – the only person present at check-out – that we were utterly dissatisfied with the experience, and that many serious shortcomings needed to be corrected (like black mold, no soap, wet spongy carpets, non-working window blinds, etc.) as they were safety and sanitation issues. The woman listened, and I checked out. I thought this crummy weekend experience was over. I was wrong.

Within about 15 minutes of driving away from the inn, my cell phone rings. My wife answers because I’m driving. He says he is the owner of Powers Inn. He immediately starts berating me and my wife for informing his employee of all the problems we had. He actually starts yelling at my wife! He says I should have talked to him about the problems. Well, I would have, if he was there. He wasn’t. I never met the guy. Not at check-in, not during the stay, and not at check-out. For a bed and breakfast, that is unheard of! Unbelievable.

This experience was awful. Everything about it. I strongly urge anyone considering staying at this place to find something else. The problems I encountered were clearly not flukes so your experience is likely to fall way short of the standards set by other properties. Don't be deceived by suspiciously high ratings.

Room Tip: Rooms at another facility would be your best bet, but if you insist on staying here, don't stay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stumbled across this place on the internet, what a find! My wife and I have stayed at a lot of B&B's and the Victorian/Historic houses are the best and this one doesn't let you down. We really enjoy the feeling of being in a house that is 100+ years old. If the walls could talk. The Price is reasonable, the breakfast was amazing cinnamon roll french toast and quiche. As for the TV's, places like this don't even need them or phones. We never turned ours on. The staff was very friendly and pleasant to be around. The owner Alfred is a character, very animated gentleman and fun to chat with, he made us feel welcome. The Beers and wines at there pub were very good as well. We will be back..... With friends!

Room Tip: This is a historic Victorian house don't expect the Ritz and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rocklin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I decided to take some time out this summer and invite my daughter on an overnight date to this beautiful bed and breakfast. Wow, was I surprised with all that came with our accommodations. This amazing mansion just tickled my daughter pink with our frilly victorian romantic room, beautiful picturesque grounds and an enchanted tea room which we partook in the very next day of our stay. I must admit Jessica and Alfred were so friendly and hospitable that we surely wanted to stay another night. I am quite certain we will be revisiting in the near future....you surely will understand once you taste Alfred's irresistible French toast that keeps calling our names! Thank you Alfred and Miss Jessica and may you and yours be blessed......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. We are from LA and decided to give a weekend getaway. We had a blast here. I was so shocked that it was as clean and nice as it was. Auburn isn't the funniest town for a young couple, but the food here was incredible. Worth the entire trip. Would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2013
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Power's Mansion Inn is a delightful place to stay. It is a restored 19th C home with about 15 rooms, all different and all done in antique and/or period decor, all updated to include private baths and amenities (cable TV, air conditioning, etc). There is a Victorian Tea Room downstairs which offers full afternoon tea spreads (for a separate charge) and though I didn't try it, I loved the "movie set" look. The room we stayed in was on the 2nd floor, and was quiet, pretty, and clean, with bay windows looking out over the garden area.
There is a pub next to the inn which is owned by the same man - Alfred, who is a trained chef and brewer of handcrafted beers, two of which we tried and loved. At the moment, the pub offers about 36 beers, but Alfred plans to offer about 120 varieties in the future, making this a unique destination. The pub also offers appetizers and full meals - we tried the baked potato skins appetizer and loved it. The pub is currently only open to guests of the inn and friends, but will open publicly in about a month (Sept.).
Breakfast was included in our TravelZoo package and it was huge (2 large pieces of french toast, quiche, hash browns, bacon, sausage, orange juice, coffee) and incredibly delicious and cooked by Alfred himself. I could finish less than half of the enormous plate!
Alfred is very friendly and gregarious, and was very attentive to our needs. He definitely added to our enjoyment of the inn and made our 1-night stay memorable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with balconies that must be nice in the summer months (we didn't have one a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved everything about this place, we loved the ambiance.The parlors were tastefully decorated with Antique Sofa's and Wingback chairs. The lovely dining room was set up for a Victorian Tea. There were several old photos and historical facts you could read on the walls.We were greeted by Jessica in the Main part of the house. She was so sweet and let us see several of the rooms. They were all themed and full of antiques. It was like being brought back to the late1800's. Our room was delightful with two queen sized beds and a beautiful armoire. There was a little bathroom with a shower in the room and a tv that we never used but it was available as was wifi. There was an airconditioner and a fan that was adequate to cool the room. We went to the adjoining Irish Pub and met Peggy, one of the Innkeepers, she was bartending and kept our glasses full as she shared her and her husbands story with us. She is a wonderful person and made us feel so welcomed. Kristynn their daughter was also there and we chatted with her about her adventures in life. We finally got to meet Alfred the next day at the bountiful buffet breakfast he made for us. Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy,Quiche, and there were the best scones I've ever tasted. I couldn't believe the spread. Alfred is an extremely talented man. He makes all his own beers in his brewery and is going to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for making the most beers on tap of any microbrewery. Beside this he is the innkeeper and he does weddings including DJ, planner, caterer etc. He's an inventer as well. Just talking with Alfred made me smarter. I was so intrigued by his many stories. We fully intend to go back there again.

Room Tip: The Powers Room is big and roomy. I didn't see all the rooms but the ones I did see were themed...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!