“Nice find!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Auburn B&B and Inns
Reno
“Nice find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stumbled across this place on the internet, what a find! My wife and I have stayed at a lot of B&B's and the Victorian/Historic houses are the best and this one doesn't let you down. We really enjoy the feeling of being in a house that is 100+ years old. If the walls could talk. The Price is reasonable, the breakfast was amazing cinnamon roll french toast and quiche. As for the TV's, places like this don't even need them or phones. We never turned ours on. The staff was very friendly and pleasant to be around. The owner Alfred is a character, very animated gentleman and fun to chat with, he made us feel welcome. The Beers and wines at there pub were very good as well. We will be back..... With friends!

Room Tip: This is a historic Victorian house don't expect the Ritz and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Rocklin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I decided to take some time out this summer and invite my daughter on an overnight date to this beautiful bed and breakfast. Wow, was I surprised with all that came with our accommodations. This amazing mansion just tickled my daughter pink with our frilly victorian romantic room, beautiful picturesque grounds and an enchanted tea room which we partook in the very next day of our stay. I must admit Jessica and Alfred were so friendly and hospitable that we surely wanted to stay another night. I am quite certain we will be revisiting in the near future....you surely will understand once you taste Alfred's irresistible French toast that keeps calling our names! Thank you Alfred and Miss Jessica and may you and yours be blessed......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. We are from LA and decided to give a weekend getaway. We had a blast here. I was so shocked that it was as clean and nice as it was. Auburn isn't the funniest town for a young couple, but the food here was incredible. Worth the entire trip. Would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2013
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Power's Mansion Inn is a delightful place to stay. It is a restored 19th C home with about 15 rooms, all different and all done in antique and/or period decor, all updated to include private baths and amenities (cable TV, air conditioning, etc). There is a Victorian Tea Room downstairs which offers full afternoon tea spreads (for a separate charge) and though I didn't try it, I loved the "movie set" look. The room we stayed in was on the 2nd floor, and was quiet, pretty, and clean, with bay windows looking out over the garden area.
There is a pub next to the inn which is owned by the same man - Alfred, who is a trained chef and brewer of handcrafted beers, two of which we tried and loved. At the moment, the pub offers about 36 beers, but Alfred plans to offer about 120 varieties in the future, making this a unique destination. The pub also offers appetizers and full meals - we tried the baked potato skins appetizer and loved it. The pub is currently only open to guests of the inn and friends, but will open publicly in about a month (Sept.).
Breakfast was included in our TravelZoo package and it was huge (2 large pieces of french toast, quiche, hash browns, bacon, sausage, orange juice, coffee) and incredibly delicious and cooked by Alfred himself. I could finish less than half of the enormous plate!
Alfred is very friendly and gregarious, and was very attentive to our needs. He definitely added to our enjoyment of the inn and made our 1-night stay memorable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with balconies that must be nice in the summer months (we didn't have one a...
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved everything about this place, we loved the ambiance.The parlors were tastefully decorated with Antique Sofa's and Wingback chairs. The lovely dining room was set up for a Victorian Tea. There were several old photos and historical facts you could read on the walls.We were greeted by Jessica in the Main part of the house. She was so sweet and let us see several of the rooms. They were all themed and full of antiques. It was like being brought back to the late1800's. Our room was delightful with two queen sized beds and a beautiful armoire. There was a little bathroom with a shower in the room and a tv that we never used but it was available as was wifi. There was an airconditioner and a fan that was adequate to cool the room. We went to the adjoining Irish Pub and met Peggy, one of the Innkeepers, she was bartending and kept our glasses full as she shared her and her husbands story with us. She is a wonderful person and made us feel so welcomed. Kristynn their daughter was also there and we chatted with her about her adventures in life. We finally got to meet Alfred the next day at the bountiful buffet breakfast he made for us. Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy,Quiche, and there were the best scones I've ever tasted. I couldn't believe the spread. Alfred is an extremely talented man. He makes all his own beers in his brewery and is going to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for making the most beers on tap of any microbrewery. Beside this he is the innkeeper and he does weddings including DJ, planner, caterer etc. He's an inventer as well. Just talking with Alfred made me smarter. I was so intrigued by his many stories. We fully intend to go back there again.

Room Tip: The Powers Room is big and roomy. I didn't see all the rooms but the ones I did see were themed...
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to Auburn for a wedding, and wanted to stay at a B&B. Chose Powers Mansion and could not be happier. Everything was first rate from the room to the breakfast to Alfred the owner. We would would stay again and would tell anyone else to do the same.

Room Tip: We stayed in room one which was great
Studio City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We recently spent 4 days visiting the gold country and loved every minute. Our last night coincided with my birthday and we stayed at the Power's Mansion. We arrived later than planned, but Jennifer took great care of us and showed us to our lovely room. The mansion is beautiful and lovingly restored, furnished with period pieces. She told us that our Travelzoo deal included two beers and an appetizer of our choice. She walked us to the pub next door that the owner Alfred Lee also owns, and where he brews his own beer. I'm not a beer drinker, much preferring wine, but decided to go ahead and try one since it was included. I choose "Caribou Slobber" because it was a light beer, and I couldn't resist the name. It was fantastic! We had some wings to enjoy with our beer and decided to eat dinner there as well. We split an order of Fettucine Alfredo with shrimp that rivaled anything we've ever had at the best Italian restaurants! The next morning, we returned to the pub for breakfast and once again, were delighted with the food. They make their own cinnamon bread which is soaked overnight in cream, orange juice, and other ingredients. It was so good, I didn't even need butter or syrup! They also served a wonderful quiche, fried potatoes, sausage and bacon. Alfred is the most genial host, and makes a point of talking to all the guests and truly makes you feel welcomed.
I can't say enough about our wonderful stay, and am looking forward to going back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!