“What a great way to spend a day!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Atwater
Crescent City, CA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“What a great way to spend a day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My first time ever touching a SR71 Black Bird. So awesome up close. It would be better to have some of these plans in hangers instead of outdoors but realty has a price tag. Huge selection of planes and related aviation hardware. I first visited while driving home from a trip and saw a Blackbird on a billboard. Was pleased to see it was only a few miles off the freeway when I punched it in Garmin. Stopped the next time as a planned visit with all the grand kids. They had a great time. Wish I lived closer than 400 miles so I could take in the Open Cockpit Days. What is really cool is having volunteer veterans giving you the inside scoop on their experiences with these vintage planes. If you like History or Airplanes, check it out.

Visited July 2011

Modesto, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Really great selection of planes. They need a little TLC - but we took my small son and we had a blast walking around all of the planes and reading their history - the gentleman in the small indoor museum was knowledgeable and had some interesting stories. We really had a fun afternoon looking at the planes. Will have to go back for open cock-pit day.

Visited March 2012
Turlock, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unbelievably historic place in central California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

For anyone who loves airplanes, or history, or Aircraft History or even a great time with your family this place is a MUST! The only way to see a better display of Aircraft is to travel to the Smithsonian or to the USAF Museum in Ohio. Quite a few of these aircraft were actually flown to the base as their last hurrah! I looked on Google Earth and counted at least 52 aircract! Don't take my word for it check
37° 21.841'N, 120° 34.664'W cut and paste that and it'll take you right to the SR 71 Blackbird they have on display! They even have a B-36!!!! There are only FOUR LEFT! All I can say is that I'm blessed to be close enough to go there whenever I want. If you are traveling through Central Ca. on Hwy 99 through Atwater and do not stop, I think you are missing one of our Nation's Premier Exhibitions, right up there with Mt. Rushmore and Hoover dam. Too much? I'm sorry, I've been to the USAF Museum and seen an Apollo Launch, a Shuttle launch, and both Voyager spacecraft launch and this museum still REALLY excites me! GO!

Visited March 2012
Porterville, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice Stop Right off Hwy 99”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We were driving to Sonora and this was a fun place to stop and stretch. I have a four year old boy and this was like heaven for him. Looking forward to go again when we have a little more time.

Visited April 2012
Turlock, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great Collection of Historic Planes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

A wonderful collection of aviation history in the central valley of CA! The outdoor venue is spacious and there is an excellent variety of planes. No barriers - walk right up and see the details of the planes! The WW II vintage planes are a trip down memory lane! Very well maintained.

Visited February 2012