“Had to Leave” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Atwater B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Had to Leave”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went to Atwater for a family event, and since this hotel is really the only one in town it seemed like a decent enough choice. We knew it wouldn't be luxurious by any standard but still an acceptable place to shower & sleep, and that was really all we needed.

However after about an hour's resting in our room, collapsed from a long hot drive, we were jerked awake by a really, really loud freight train--the tracks are right on the other side of the motel's back fence. Oh, and then we discovered bugs. Live bugs at the head of the bed. Plus dead ones scattered along the baseboard. And some other very unappetizing evidence of not-so-thorough cleaning. It was the one-two punch to our top hotel requirements: quiet and cleanliness. We were outta' there.

To the desk clerk's credit, he was dismayed about our buggy discovery and instantaneously offered us full refund. No push back at all. I give this place a "terrible/one" level rating for the bugs, the general poor attention to cleaning, and omg the trains. We've stayed in our share of pretty mediocre/bad places over the years and managed to tough them out, and this is the first time we have EVER packed up and left. I do want to acknowledge, though, that they were apologetic about the bug problem and returned our money without any hassle.

If you're travelling in the area I would suggest a short drive south to Merced where there are numerous other motels to choose from. It's what we did.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sacto area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed one Sat. night, would stay again. Desk clerk gals & the owner/mgr. were great--open, friendly, sense of humor--unbeatable (worried me--why are they so good, nice? Oh, well, just enjoy). We took a room in a back corner and closed it up as a test of soundproofing--RR tracks are not far behind--but found it quiet, no real noise from any source, and the few trains were zero problem, almost unnoticeable, and the crossing is far enough away so that the also-few train horns were no problem. ***Be assured--we HATE sleeping-hours noise, but all was fine. So many places don't work out in that area--see my reviews of Columbus Inn, S.F., and "Drip Drip Drip" of Santa Rosa, for instance.) Pool was in use & no noise/problems from it. TV set good, programming O.K. (I wish the place and all hotels/motels would upgrade to DirecTV). We walked 100-150 ft. to the Denny's and across the street 50 ft. more to a local family-type restaurant--both friendly (again worried me...why is everyone doggone nice!?. Well, memory must have failed me, that must be it).
---
We rank this motel to be an above-average, decent and good place, with an extra plus for the great staff. And great value for the money, $69 as I recall. We wanted to buy the loveseat, too, but that's another matter.)
---
Added info.: A Chevron stn. is about 1/2 block away, 99 freeway is convenient. Atwater city seemed very casual and safe, a welcome and pleasant change from Folsom-Sacramento-area pushy, take-a-chance, fill-every-space, what-me-signal? traffic race.

Room Tip: If ours, in a back corner near the RR tracks & downstairs, was fine, then likely all others are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Applegate Inn while visiting family in the area and have found it quite satisfactory. We normally stay in more upscale places but chose the Applegate for its location and have been happy enough with our choice that we have returned many times.

Our rooms have always been clean and adequately supplied. The furnishings are modest but in good taste. A small microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and TV are included. There is a Denny's adjacent and another good restaurant and bar which is popular with the locals across the street. Also a Chevron station and easy freeway access.

Our king bed room was spacious with a settee and a small dining table with two chairs. We paid $75 including tax.

This is not a luxury hotel or resort, but a decent simple motel that gives fair value and should be judged accordingly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Murphys, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at the Applegate for 2 nights weekly, from Labor Day 2011 thru mid-March 2012, while working at a nearby school district. This is an adequate, basically quiet motel. A good deal for the money. Yes, a couple of freight trains may chug by during the night but they only last about a minute. Those other reviewers who call it a dump have never stayed at one of those off the track side street motels in Las Vegas. This place is clean and well kept-up. Staff is cordial but not overly sweet. Don't expect a 5-star rating, you won't find a mint on your pillow, but it is certainly fine for an overnight stay. Fast food and large strip mall shopping very close. Small refrigerator and microwave oven in room. The AC/Heater unit was very quiet. Try to get room #108, but not when I need it!! (Tues nites) I'm coming back for another 8 month stint.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lakewood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

First of all - this is a discount hotel and it is not a Marriott. Keeping that in mind, after reading all the horror stories on this website I was hesitant about booking a room. I only did because I was traveling with other family members and my father-in-law stated that it was not that bad. When I opened the door to my room it was a nice surprise. Room was clean and was not smelly. They even have a microwave and small refrigerator in the rooms. They do have blow dryers as well. I was happy with the service I received and slept well. Yes, it is close to the rail road tracks, but to tell you the truth I was not awakened by it in the morning because I was tired. It was close to my family function and just the right price. I will be staying there in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

This place is a dump. Dirty, smelly, and the front desk person made me feel like I was bothering her. Will never stay again.

• Stayed June 2011

Travelers are raving about these Atwater hotels

Willows, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I came for a training class at Atwater, for future employment, a resident of Atwater co-worker, recomended the hotel, I understand that she lives here and the revenue should stay in the city, I did not wanted to complain to the front desk, because the girl at the front desk, was not very friendly, I ask if there was coffee in the room, she did not know, the carpet is dirty the pillows are stained, very old, I am afraid to sleep in the bed, there are patches of caulking all over the ceiling , the fan in the bathroom sounded like it was going to come out of the wall, I decided to call the front desk and complained about the room, she said that she does not check the rooms and she does not own the hotel, she would let the manager know, she said that she gave a good price for the room, $ 64.90, I ask her if that is why I was getting a dirty room, because of that price, she said that is not what she was saying, she does not check the rooms, so she does not know how how the rooms look. I told her that I have worked in a hotel before, and if a guest complained about a room, we would look the condition of the room and move the guest to a more comfortable room. after all the talk she said she would move me to another room, I said I would deal with it for the night, I did not wanted to move my equipment, I could go on in detail, but it does not matter, I will take pictures and post them, I am a logical person and I am sure not all the rooms are like room #208, good luck who ever stays here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Applegate Inn? Share your experiences!