“Moldy, filthy shower - Rude General Manager” 1 of 5 stars

The Carlton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6005 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA 93422   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“Moldy, filthy shower - Rude General Manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay at your hotel because this time the visit was not only business, but also to celebrate our anniversary. At first we were impressed with the hotel but our mood turned from delight to disgust. The shower cabin was infested with mold and outright filthy. We brought it to the attention to the staff but it was never cleaned during our stay. We ended up leaving the next day without being able to shower. I am glad I didn't have any meetings that day. Our little get-away was ruined due to the condition of the bathroom and lack of personal training. The front desk brushed off the reason why the bathroom was not cleaned was because the cleaning personal didn't speak English. I was hoping for a full refund or a free room in a clean room next time I return to the area so I emailed the pictures the the general manager. She never called me back. I finally called her and she told me the pictures I took of the bathroom were not from her hotel and that I was a liar! - Never will I stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
deanajalex, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
i apologize for the experience that you had at our hotel and that you were not happy with my response. It is my goal that everyone that stays at our hotel has a wonderful experience. My staff and I work very hard to make sure this happens. I would love to have another opportunity to meet your expectations.

Thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We reserved 11 rooms for a 60th birthday party weekend, and all of our friends enjoyed this gem of a hotel with its lovely staff, beautiful rooms, and very comfortable beds. We used the 2nd floor patio to hang out after our dinner parties in the Colby Jack restaurant, and everyone said they would come back. Breakfast in the restaurant was really nice, and the Sunday morning brunch was inexpensive and really good. Locals should take advantage of the restaurant. Two of our guests had massages at the spa next store, and again enjoyed it. We'll be back, anytime we're in the Paso Robles area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
hayward
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stay in quite a few hotels for my work (high end as well as your run of the mill Holiday Inn etc.) this is by far one of the best I have stayed at across the state, the word that describes it best is "plush", beds very comfortable, you sink in, jacuzzi tub, a robe, very very nicely done. I have stayed in places 3 times as expensive and they have not equaled the Carlton. If you are in the area don't stay anywhere else, treat yourself, oh and it includes a breakfast voucher at the restaurant or cafe, and it's your choice of what you eat. Looking forward to coming back next time I am down here for work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughters and I stayed at the Carlton on our way down to Southern California. We were all thoroughly impressed by this lovely hotel - the beautiful spacious room, the bed, and particularly the large well appointed bathroom. The staff went our of their way to make us feel comfortable. The manager mentioned that we should stop on Highway 1 to see the seals at Piedras Blancas, an excellent suggestion that turned out to be a highlight of our trip. The price of our room was so reasonable and breakfast was even included. We will definitely be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at the Carlton before...and returned. Been a few yers but it is still a perfect choice - actually even better than we recalled. Great rooms - well appointed and quite large for what feels more like a boutique hotel.

While you'll probably spend more time in Paso, the wineries or even the coast, the Carlton is well located and a great choice.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you're looking for a great place to stay while touring the wineries of Paso Robles, this is a fabulous hotel. It's ten miles from Paso, but it's so reasonable and the accomodations are fantastic. Big, well appointed room, with luxury bedding, and very quiet. I couldn't say more great things about it. For the price, it's well worth the 10 miles to drive. The staff are very accommodating and the atmosphere is so quaint and well kept. A definite must for a quick get-away from Los Angeles or surrounding areas without breaking the budget.

Room Tip: Love this hotel. Didn't get the 2nd bathrobe we requested, but it wasn't that important. E...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having been to Paso Robles 4 times in the last 3 months, we have had the opportunity to sample a few hotels, and the Carlton is the winner in our price range (the ~$200 per night set). It is an historic hotel that has been redone to a very modern high standard. The beds and linens are absolutely amazing (4 seasons level in my book). The staff is very helpful, and the restaurant is quite good. Downtown Paso Robles is about 15 minutes away by car, but you dont have to drive because the hotel is located in the historic Colony district of Atascadero, which has walkable restaurants and shops. What many first time visitors to Paso Robles don't realize is that most Paso Robles hotels are acutally along the 101 freeway with nothing to walk to. Granted, Downtown Paso Robles is only 5-10 minutes, but you always have to drive.

Room Tip: I recommend the courtyard King...zero street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!