“Clean but Flawed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Arroyo Grande
Santa Clarita
“Clean but Flawed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

If all you care about is a clean room and facility, this Hampton Inn will work. It's a newer property and it is indeed very clean. Unfortunately, it falls short in other areas.

We were placed in a room directly adjacent to the elevators. We had to endure the noise of them all night long. We would have requested a room change, but by the time we realized this was going to be a problem, we were already unpacked and ready for bed. It did not help that we could also hear the guests on the other side of the room.

Breakfast was surprisingly bad. The eggs were hard, dry and tasteless. Also, there was not a pork-free alternative. We have noticed that the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn hotels never have non-pork meats for breakfast. Some of Hilton's competitors make turkey or chicken sausage available to guests. Since other chains do, we will consider other brands after using-up our remaining Hilton Honors credits -- especially after this 'mediocre at best' stay.

Lastly, this was the first stay at any Hilton property where we not asked how our stay was when checking-out. By the time I saw the 100% satisfaction notice, it was too late. We had already checked-out. Thankfully, we were only here for one night.

If you are considering staying here, insist on a room that is not adjacent to the elevators. Also, request the top floor if available. The hotel is built on a hill and you have to go down to get to the first floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lee B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear GGandCG_1,

I am sorry we didn't realize you had a problem with the elevator noise. We are happy to update your profile for you to request 'away from elevators' for any future reservations you may book. As for the breakfast I understand you didn't like the eggs and wanted other than pork items of which we do offer. It is Brand standard to change the breakfast items daily to give our guest variety so we aren't serviing the same thing over and over day after day. Hopefully, you will give us another chance to give you a memorable experience and we can certainly make arrangements to provide a room in a more suitable location for you. Just let us know and we'll do our best! Kind Regards, Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Perris, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great value, pet friendly, clean, great people. We just stayed overnight, but enjoyed the stay. Breakfast was very good. Reception very helpful. We were on the first floor - the lobby is on the third floor. The first floor has a little bit of feel like a dungeon and we had some noise from the room above us. Otherwise first class.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Dr. Joe_12,

I enjoyed your great review and will share it with our Team. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back to stay the next time you're in the area! The first floor is assigned especially for our guests with pets. This makes for easier access to the side exit to take them for walks. The hotel is built on a hill so the rooms that have more sunlight would be on the freeway side. Just let us know and we will see which room works out better for you! Looking forward to your next visit! Kind Regards, Lee
Swannanoa, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed for 7 nights at the Hampton Inn Arroyo Grande. The room was AWESOME and the hotel staff was incredibly friendly...especially Peg at the front desk. She gave me pointers on restaurants in the area and in the evening she wanted to hear all about my escapes for the day. I WILL stay here again, for 10 days next time.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but mine was fabulous
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Linda M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It's always a pleasure to hear from our guests about their experience. I will pass on the great comments about Peg and the team. We look forward to your 10 day visit with us next time! Warm Regards, Lee
Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beware of 'accessible' room offers. That's what we were stuck with because of an early arrival, I guess. It certainly was NOT requested. Question is: how can you give out accessible room first if you really intend to fill the needs of a person who might need such facilities? Also read the 'Pismofamily' comments. Unless Hilton has changed is policies, this property is not representative of 'the old Hilton' I remember. I'm of the opinion the accommodations business is very competitive 'until arrival'.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Sunnyvale89,

So sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the room that you had. We try to be sure to give our guests rooms that they are comfortable with and make every effort to give our early arrival guests a room as soon as one is available. We pre-assign all of the guests requesting accessible rooms and be sure that we provide those rooms for them first. I hope you will give us another try! Just contact the hotel directly and we will discuss the room type that you would prefer and pre-assign that for you. Thank you for staying with us! Kind Regards, Lee
Fairfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

There's much to recommend this hotel. The hotel is easy to find and conveniently located right off the freeway with free parking. We picked this hotel mostly because my husband is a Hilton Diamond member and we needed a convenient place to stay with 3 children while our middle son competed at a robotics competition at Cal Poly. Our room was clean and large enough to accomodate our whole family. It was located on the same floor as the reception area, facing the parking lot. We didn't hear any street noise and very little noise from other guests. The only issue we had with the room was that the desk chair was broken. However, within a few minutes of calling the front desk, the desk clerk personally brought us a new chair. This hotel really stood out because the staff was so friendly. Every time we passed through the lobby, the desk clerk talked to us. We also received a call, making sure we had everything we needed. We enjoyed the heated pool and jacuzzi, which feels private since it faces the hill. The hotel also has a nice exercise room which opens bright and early at 6am. I was able to run 3 miles on the treadmill before my family members woke up. We enjoyed the breakfast, there were plenty of options (cereal, pastry, fruit salad, waffles etc.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lee B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear California Mom of six,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us and the world of travelers! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I will pass on to the staff the wonderful friendly service they rpovided to you. It's always nice to share the guest experience with the team! Thank you again for staying with us! We hope to see you again the next time you visit the area! Warm Regards, Lee
simi valley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our room was very nice, our stay was pleasant enough. The Wifi did not work the whole time we were there. Also beware, I forgot and left my very nice jacket, jeans and shoes in the closet. We called immediately as soon as we got home. The disappointing part is that when I called the mgr seemed concerned enough, took my # and said she would check into it and call me. I never received a call or information on my items. Consequently I have to assume that they do not care enough to want returning customers. We had stayed here twice, and will never stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pismo Family,

Thank you for writing a review and bringing to light your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and am sorry about the time it took for my supervisor to call you back on your items you left behind. She was trying to search further than our just log and our storage areas. Questioned the staff if they remembered seeing anything and double-checking with the Executive Housekeeper. Unfortunately, nothing was found and that's when she made the call to you. We have logged it in our system should anything turn up we'll be happy to return your items in a timely manor if found. Again I thank you for staying with us and apologize for the delayed response to your request. Kindess Regards, Lee
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a newer property with easy access to Hwy 101. Rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. Internet is fast & reliable. Breakfast in the morning is typical of a business hotel; well stocked and good overall. Staff was friendly and helpful. The only issues I had were 1) my room had a shower with no tub (although there is a hot tub on the property so that compensates for that) and 2) this hotel does permit guests to bring their four legged friends along for the stay. Now I understand that the hospitality industry is doing everything it can to accomodate folks with pets but this shouldn't be at the expense of other guests enjoyment of the hotel. Unfortunately at around 8 a.m. I was awakened by a "yelping" dog in the room next door (left unattended by its owner who was probably having breakfast). This is something that hotels need to be mindful of. Maybe they can put all of the "dog owners" in a separate area of the hotel so they can all bark with each other and let the rest of the hotel guests get some sleep? In any event, the hotel is still a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lee B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Calguysactown,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I'm gald you found your room to be clean and comfortable except for the yelping dog. Unfortunately some of our guests fail to follow the rules we have in place. Pets are never to be left unattended. We designate the 1st floor to accommodate those with pets. We hope you'll give us another visit and we'll do our best to keep you away form the pet floor. We do have King Studio Suites that have tubs if you want to give that a try the next time you visit. Just contact the hotel and we can set your request for your reservation. Thanks again for staying with us! We look forward to seeing you again! Kind Regards, Lee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arroyo Grande
Cottage Inn by the Sea
Cottage Inn by the Sea
#7 of 28 in Pismo Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 769 reviews

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande? Share your experiences!