“Very nice, indeed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 89 Restaurants in Arcata
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Folie DOuce is a local, seasonal, organic California bistro serving dinners Tuesday-Sunday at 5:30. We embody true California cuisine by utilizing as much local, seasonal, and organic produce and meats as possible in dishes influenced by all ethnicities. Seasonally inspired, we have an ever changing menu while also maintaining some of our favorites year round. We highlight our local community by featuring local winemakers, farmers, and artists on a rotating quarterly basis.
Dallas, Texas
“Very nice, indeed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wonderful food. We loved the halibut, pizza, and a fabulous house salad (oh so fresh and tasty). We also especially loved that the maître d' (who we think is the owner) helped us find a very high quality, hailrious theater event near Arcata in Blue Lake: Dell'Arte. Now that's quality business sense, we believe. We left feeling like we'd been treated royally and like family.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for this great feedback! We're all about keeping it fresh, so it's wonderful you appreciate the high quality of our ingredients. We also love supporting our local community, so I'm glad we could help you find Dell'Arte— hope you had a good time! Please come back and see us soon. Our door is always open for you!
(and yes, the maitre d' is my partner)

Escondido, CA
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went to Folie Douce with our son and his girlfriend (locals). That we even got there was notable - our time on the north coast means trying to fit in all our favorite eateries! We had appetizers, pizza, entrees and dessert. Oh and wine. . Our server helped us select one ( and was right on!).everything was delicious! I had the duck. . It was perfect. The desserts were to die for! I am sure we'll be back, next trip.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for this thoughtful review! We're so glad you and your family enjoyed your meal. We love the organic duck breasts too and the ability to change the sauces to fit the season. Good choice saving room for dessert... it's not to be missed. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Be well,
Seattle
“Really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a gem in Arcata. It is one of the best places to eat. The atmosphere is romantic and fun. Everything on the menu is great. If it is a busy weekend I would recommend getting a reservation.

Visited March 2013
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for this gem of a review! We're so glad you enjoy our romantic atmosphere and tasty dishes. We always want to make sure our guests have a unique experience every time they dine with us, so thank you for this feedback. We look forward to your next visit! Cheers, Cris, Owner
Eureka, California, United States
“Thank god a place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Delicious fare. Not mind blowing but solid. Atmosphere always good here. Very romantic without being stuffy. By far the best restaurant in humboldt county hands down. Make sure you ask for Tony. The chef seems to care. If you don't drink they have great wine grape juice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for this feedback. We're so glad you enjoy our cuisine and intimate atmosphere. I appreciate you mentioning that our chef puts a lot of care into his dishes. We like to think of our place as a romantic escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, so it sounds like we're doing something right! That being said, I'd love to know how we can really "wow" you. We're always looking to blow our guests away with our unique dishes, so if you have any more feedback for us, we're all ears!
Thanks also for mentioning Anthony, we are happy to have him on our team!
Arcata, California
“uneven food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have enjoyed some fabulous meals here -- and also some less-than-enjoyable ones. Unpredictability and unevenness have been characteristics of this restaurant for many years. (I live nearby, so I keep trying.) When food is good, it is very very good, but when it is bad . . .
Sometimes quality varies among entrees served at same time to same table. In my experience, duck, beef, and salads are better bets than fish. Pizza is sometimes greasy. Service and atmosphere are generally pleasant. It is a small restaurant, so service can be slow. Also one table occupied by diners with loud, shrill voices can ruin ambiance for everyone else. I can recommend Folie Douce only to those willing to take a chance.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We appreciate your honesty. While it's never fun to read so-so reviews, we welcome feedback of any kind— it lets us know what we're doing right and also what we can do better. I'm sorry you think our food and service can be a bit unpredictable. We're always aiming to 'wow' our guests every single meal, so I would continue to work with my staff on this.

When you say that our food quality varies, how so? Does it taste different to you every time? We have a constantly changing menu, so we work hard to keep our dishes fresh and unique. Any more feedback you have is much appreciated. I'm sorry you thought our pizza can be greasy at times. I will absolutely speak with my chef about this.

I have been researching on how to address the noise level concern as well. High ceilings and small spaces resonate sound and buffers of some sort are in design. Unfortunately, taking over a small business that I've worked in and loved for almost 20 years poses ever constant challenges with improvements ..all of the changes like these are taking longer than I'd expected. Please look forward to continuing upgrades in all of these respects. It's a delicate balance of maintaining all aspects and we strive to achieve this so we definitely appreciate this feedback. I do hope you will dine with us again soon. I know we can show you an even better (and consistent) experience overall!