“Excellent service, revolting carpet” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4975 Valley West Blvd, Arcata, CA 95521   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
California
“Excellent service, revolting carpet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hey management, replace the hallway carpet throughout the inn pronto. The carpets are heavily stained, grungy, and black mold beginning to grow in spots. It's revolting. You are embarrassing your excellent staff at the counter and the breakfast service who have to put up with this terrible and shameful mass.

That said our room was spacious and clean. Why the disconnect? Until I saw some of your guests tromping around with dirty boots either from hiking or working in mud and a few were hoarding ice in their wheeled and dirty ice-chest and containers.

Take care of the carpet and we will be back to support your wonderful staff!
Quick go wooden or plastic floor, so it can be mopped down daily.

Room Tip: If you still decide to go, pick corner room second floor. There were a couple of noise complaints on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Upper Montclair, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Arcata, CA for five nights. The room was great and everything worked fine (microwave, TV, alarm clock, refrigerator, etc.). We enjoyed our stay very much and would like to especially note the excellent service we received:

-- Felicia at the front desk was so sweet and helpful
-- Asyad (or Aswad), who kept the breakfast offerings fresh and neat, was awesome
-- Edgar, who does maintenance, was terrific, immediately changing a light bulb that burned out, and helping me to figure how to plug in the microwave so that it worked
-- Andrew in housekeeping was especially nice
-- Merelin, Luma and Evette, at the front desk, were also very kind and helpful

We'll definitely stay here again, when we return to Arcata.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reno
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Should have made a backup reservation elsewhere; would have if I had known. Could have made a better choice.
The best thing about this property was the staff! I checked in with a smile; but that soon turned to a frown. Our room location allowed us to enter through the corridor at the end of the building. The card lock on the door did not operate; put a small rock to prop the door ajar. As soon as I entered; the area smelled of cigarette smoke, beer, and weed. The room was advertised as (2) Queen Beds; but was actually Doubles. This was not comfortable for the 4 of us...(2) Adults and (2) kids.
The swimming pool was enclosed and the water temperature warm. If it had not been for the pool; we would have left! Of course, the kids love to swim; but the restroom had only two stalls. One was totally out of order; and disgusting! The walls were so thin we could hear everything next door. We stayed (2) nights and visited the Redwoods all day, in the Prairie Creek State Park. The staff was very friendly and we had fun conversation. They made it happen!

Room Tip: If you want (2) Queen beds; forget about it! The beds are definitely Doubles!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New City, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this property at Red Roof Inn's website and received a confirmation for a room with 2 queen-size beds, but when we arrived, we were told that this location doesn't have queen-size beds in any of its rooms and were given 2 double beds instead. That's simply too tight for my family of four.

In addition to our bed issue, my wife was turned off by all the dust in the room, the dirty carpets in the hallways and the blood stains on the towels in our bathroom!

We stayed one night because everything else in town was booked up, but moved across the street to the Hampton Inn for our second night and had a much better experience there. I must give credit to the woman at the front desk who was very friendly and was as helpful as she could be. Unfortunately, she was the only positive thing about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I made a reservation on line for a deluxe room with 2 double beds fridge/micro. Upon check in it turned out that this room lacked microwave (staff was unaware of that). So, I took a one king with fridge/micro instead, which was not very convenient, since I don't like to share my bed with my 3 year old who is tossing and turning all night long. But my other option would be to use a microwave on a reception, which, again, not very convenient for me at all.

The room was ok. Chipped paint, old, shabby looking furniture. Rather dirty carpet. The room had a weird smell to it: either someone smoked in it before or had a dog or something.

There were only 2 bath towels per room (and no pool towels), so I had to go to reception to ask for more towels.

The indoor pool/jacuzzi were ok, but the water was soooo heavily chlorinated that the color of the water turned from being clear to being whitish, opaque. I could not last in jacuzzi even for 5 min - my eyes started to get all itchy and watery from the chlorine vapor.

Breakfast was ok: instant oats, bagels, cereal, you know... Nothing special.

The walls of the rooms are paper thin: at 6 am I was awaken by my neighbors flushing toilet and taking shower. If someone walked past our room, I could hear it like as if they walked by me.

Overall: not very comfortable hotel. Rather run-down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shasta Lake, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from Friday to Sunday. At the check in after 9:00 p.m., the person working the counter was a huge help. She told us all about the hotel opening and the things that they were going to open, like the restaurant by the end of the summer.

The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. I know they are still working on the hotel remodeling it. The hotel seems to be putting a lot of money into the lobby and not as much into the rooms. I'm pretty easy as long as the room is clean and it was. We went to the beach the next day after 10:00 a.m. and the door to the outside locked us out. We went and talked to the front desk person and she hadn't had a chance to unlock all of the outside doors.

All in all, a good bargain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We made reservations in advance for a room with 2 full beds and a roll away cot. When we got their they had no cots. However they gave us another room for the two days we stayed. They only charged us $30 per night for the extra room. We only chose the hotel because it advertised a pool, the pool was not in working condition neither was the hot tub. Which had they told us we could have gone somewhere else. They did bring extra pillows upon request. Very friendly staff. The key cards NEVER worked. Even the workers couldn't get them to work. They did have free coffee. Which was nice. When we got to the room, there was no soap or shampoo, however the next day they left some. I guess the house cleaner forgot them before we got there. The hair dryer didn't work, I tried to reset the outlet and still no working hair dryer. Thank goodness I brought my own. However don't advertise what you don't have.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Quality Inn
Howard Johnson Express Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eureka

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!