“Worth the BUDGET price!” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4975 Valley West Blvd, Arcata, CA 95521   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Redding, California
“Worth the BUDGET price!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It is important to keep in mind that this is the lowest cost two star hotel near Eureka. I am a very budget cost conscious guest and my wife is the 'critic'. I felt that we got a reasonable return for our investment ($50.39. OTD). Best deal is on Red Roof website with free cancellation allowed up to 8 PM ON day of check in; and senior discount!! My very 'sense sensitive' wife did not like the odor of 'children urine' (strong in the hallway). Everything smelled reasonable to me. The rugs could all use a good shampoo and cleaning; however, pets are welcome and FREE! Showers were hot. TV worked. Wifi was 'temperamental'. Beds were comfortable. No screens on the window? There seems to be some 'long term' guests? This hotel was once quite 'ritzy' ! We ate 'breakfast in the long closed 'coffee shop'/'dining room'. (see all pictures). 'Breakfast' was VERY 'spartan'. It consisted of plain english muffins and bagels; Oranges, apples and Bananas; reconstituted orange and apple juice; coffee (also provided in lobby :) ) and kids cereal and milk. There were ONLY two packaged coffee-cakes provided (I snagged one and returned three times to find no more provided). The lobby was nice with sitting areas and TV. Air conditioning and heater worked fine. Pool and spa were heated and warm. My wife did not like the strong chlorine smell. There were some towels, clothing and broken tube floats on the floor. The exercise room was empty of machines. There was a machine in the 'employees only' fitness and break room. Clerk was not really very enthusiastic about working and greeting; however, she did her job efficiently. Electronic outside exits no longer lock; however, the hotel is in a good location with many restaurants and stores (6 miles north of Eureka). Don't allow your mind to lead to unrealistic expectations or you will be disappointed! I reccomend this hotel as one of the better BUDGET hotels in and around Eureka. Expect kids, pets and some odors. Expect less, as that is what you are paying for :)! We liked the Kabob Restaurant and Round Table Pizza; both, across the street.

Room Tip: If you start taking pictures upon check in; there is a good chance of being given an 'upgraded r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Deepak C, Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Red Roof Inn Arcata.
I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel.
Our staff works very hard to make sure the rooms are clean and to provide all our guest with friendly service.
We appreciate your comments & would like to inform you that the exterior doors are being programmed & we are also working on improving the breakfast setup & we have also ordered additional equipment for the fitness room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Lafayette
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

From what I understand, this property has just reopened so a little flexibility is required. Previously it was called North Coast Inn, North Woods Inn...something like that. Apparently, in it's heyday it was quite the hotel. It has the potential to be so again. I booked online and paid $53.99 + tax with my AAA discount. For the price, I was satisfied. The room I am in now has two nice queen sized bed, the WiFi works great, looks clean and it has a newish looking microwave and refrigerator. Now...for the improvements that could be made: the indoor pool wasn't heated. No bueno. Heat that sucker up! The fitness room was bare. Put two or three machines in there and a flat screen TV on the wall and you're all set! I also found the front desk staff to be somewhat unprofessional. I had to switch rooms, because my original room didn't have the promised microwave and refrigerator. If I'm paying for something and especially if I'm planning on using it - I want it. So, more training for the staff (they were friendly, but somewhat unprofessional like I said), make sure ALL the rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, heat the pool, deck out the fitness room and you're all set! If they did that, I would easily pay $60 - 70 for a place like this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Deepak C, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Red Roof Inn.
I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel.
We appreciate your comments & would like to inform you that the heated pool is now working absolutely fine & we have also ordered additional equipment for the fitness room.
St. George, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Worst experience thus far on our travels. Only positive is the two front desk attendants. We were promised (per website and booking a deluxe room) a room with a fridge and microwave, but only four rooms have these amenities and they were booked. The general manager ignored all requests. The rooms were dirty upon arrival and the beds are sagging.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a deluxe room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your suggestions and your opinion is important to us. I would like to begin by apologizing for any discomfort you had to endure during your stay. I would also like to say thank you for staying with us and giving a positive feedback on our Front Desk Agents. I will make sure to thank them on your behalf for providing our guest with great customer service.
I hope that we will see you again and that your future experience will be more positive.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

First I want to extend a big "THANK YOU" to the front desk staff: Evette, Merelin, & Grace. My family and I came here and were greeted with professional, courteous, smiles and warmth rarely found on the road in the hotel business. Evette & Merelin found us rooms that were perfect for our needs. The value was well worth the money spent. My wife loved the indoor heated pool as did my kids. The rooms were very clean and fresh. Service with a smile, overall I would rate this stay a 10+ in my book.
Thanks again ladies, I would definitely recommend any weary traveler to stay here, I wish I could have stayed longer than two days.
Charles

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Red Roof Inn of Sacramento. I am so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel. Our staff in housekeeping and at the front desk works very hard to make sure the rooms are clean and to provide all our guest with friendly service. We appreciate your business and would love to have you stay with us again. So, we hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Quality Inn
Howard Johnson Express Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eureka

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!