“Just plain old” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arcata

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Redding, California
“Just plain old”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is a historic hotel, built in 1915 however not much in the hotel has changed since 1915, bathroom fixtures are old, floors all squeek, walls and windows are thin, and the mattress was old and sagging in the middle, but everything was clean!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oakland CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I have stayed in many varieties of rooms in this hotel, most always with good results. The Hotel is on the Main Plaza of Arcata and the night-time bar scene on weekends can be a bit noisey . This past stay was in one of the plaza suites, a very pleasant an affordable treat. Arcata is one of those towns that seems to preserve a by-gone spirit of Bohemian/Hippy/New-Age whatever --- I like the friendliness and out-going spirit of most people that I meet there. The Hotel is a pleasantly restored landmark that I resort to when I am just fed up with the increasing Bay Area crush. There are great events for birders, foodies, art enthusiasts (Pastels on the Plaza, my favorite), and kinetic sculpture afficianados. Arcata is a university town near Eureka, also an interesting browsing town, and on the ocean coast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Arcata while in town for my husband's 50th class reunion. This hotel has had a varied history and I was curious to see how they had managed to clean it up and make it usable. This is a very old hotel; the rooms reflect this even though they have been refurbished. We had ants in the bathroom after the first day; happened to be North Country Fair weekend, so that was a real plus. What fun!! Parking is not convenient but only a couple of blocks away; it is noisy, but our room was on the corner overlooking the street, so maybe other rooms aren't so noisy; coffee in room was HORRIBLE!! Ditto the socalled "limited continental breakfast", but there are many good & fun restaurants around the plaza. String of bars next to the hotel with smokers hanging out in front, yuck. Lighting was very poor in our room, had to borrow a lamp from front desk in order to read at night. Overall, this is an old hotel with all attendant problems & quirks. Won't stay there again now that my curiosity is satisfied; I prefer cleanliness to funkiness.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We went to Humboldt County for a family wedding. I am so glad we chose Hotel Arcata. I cannot believe those other chain hotels are rated above it. This is a great place. We were able to take all of our dogs and they loved it too. The place is full of charector. Has a great Lobby and very nice staff. The claw foot tubs with the showers are fantastic. We had inside suites and they were very quiet. There are some transient types hanging around the square but they did not bother us. I walked to the store at night by myself with no problems. There was a really nice farmers market on the square on Sat. Morning. The room we had was not pristine nor fancy but it was very comfortable and a very fair price. My husband and I are in our early 50's and we have traveled a bit. We both loved this place as we prefer charm over chain and being able to walk to all of the restaurants, shops and cafes and the redwoods and beaches are a very short drive. Also even though I love dogs I don't like a place to smell doggy. It didn't at all. If you do not have dogs - don't worry - you will see some coming and going but otherwise I do not think you will notice. Any how we really loved this place and would stay again if in that area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Akron,Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Wow, where to begin. My wife and I went to visit our daughter and to attend the oyster fest. We had a three night reservation. The hotel sits right on the town square and over looks the grounds. The hotel is old. We hda a suite; a bed room, sitting room, and two bathrooms. A corner room. It got a bit loud at times early in the morning, with street cleaners, trucks, people, but I don't think I would have wanted to stay anywhere else. Being right on the square, it is a short walk to great coffee, bagles, breakfast, dinner, drinks,etc. There is also a sushi rest. downstairs. The location is perfect. The place is old, but it fit right into the trip. The oyster fest was a step back in time. Just watching the people was like being back at Woodstock. Really. There are quite a few homeless hanging around, but we never felt uneasy. It all was part of the Northern Calif. story. What a unique section of the counrty. Redwoods, the Coast, great food, and the Hotel Arcata. Would I do it again? In a heart beat!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Capistrano Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The hotel was very accommodating to me and my dog ($5 per night extra plus a $50 pet deposit which you get back makes this the cheapest dog friendly hotel I could find in town). I loved the claw foot tub in the bathroom and the old pictures in the hallways. The place was clean and pretty quiet, being the middle of the week in summer in a college town. The staff was very nice and helpful and able to answer my many questions about the area and the hotel, as well as give me directions. As for location, you couldn't ask for better than the Hotel Arcata's. It's right in the middle of downtown, on a beautiful plaza surrounded by all of the little mom and pop businesses that give Arcata such an awesome flavor. It's also close to beaches, coastal marshland, Humboldt State University and of course the Arcata Community Forest. As other reviewers have noted, you will be asked for money by the many vagrants that hang out on the plaza, but I found them to be very nice and I felt perfectly safe walking out of the bars at 1AM to go back to my room (not that you have to go very far). Honestly, nobody should be surprised to see bums and stoners hanging out enjoying the sun in the middle of town - it's Humboldt county! There was only one thing I really didn't like about my stay and that would be the parking situation - you have to park your car a couple blocks away from the hotel unless you are loading or unloading out front. It's really not that big of a deal for me but I thought other people might want to know. Overall I would absolutely recommend this to anyone needing a place to stay in Arcata. It's the best way to immerse yourself in the local culture and a perfect home base for exploring the area.

• Stayed July 2010
topanga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Looking for a cool place in Arcata to party with the locals? The Hotel Arcata is for you! Don't care if some of the local club kids pass out at 3am in the hall? The Hotel Arcata is for you. If you don't mind the passed out drunk in the hall the Arcata Police will cart em off.

Too bad the management can't keep the trash out of this place, it is a nice old hotel.

If you want to sleep before 3 am, stay away!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata
#7 of 10 in Arcata
3.0 of 5 stars 128 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!