“Haunted Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arcata

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcata
Hotel Arcata
You added Hotel Arcata to your Saves list
708 Ninth St., Arcata, CA 95521   |
Special Offer
CLICK HERE FOR BEST RATES
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
“Haunted Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

The Hotel Arcata is authentic. As one reviewer stated, it doesn't have air conditioning. In Arcata, a northern seacoast town, you don't need it. Oh yes, the hotel is right on the plaza adjacent to a row of bars where there is actually a semblance of nightlife. (of course someone from suburban Los Angeles would find that disconcerting)

In my experience, the room was clean and the staff was helpful. One thing no one else mentioned is that the place is haunted. Before staying at the Hotel Arcata, I never believed in ghosts. But, there they were, in the middle of the night.......ghosts milling about the room. I haven't yet seen that at the Comfort Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2004

Stuffy, musty smelling rooms, yet dangerous to open windows with young children around as there are no screens or any other form of protection on upstairs windows, and one wouldn't even lock. It was a Sat. night, and drunken patrons of the adjoining bars congregated on the street.
This hotel is extremely overpriced, given the poor quality of lodgings and service. The Japanese restaraurant in the hotel lobby is also overpriced. The food was not very authentic or exciting.

sacramento ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2004

After visiting the downstairs resturaunt (excellent japanese by the way ) several years ago I vowed to come back and stay in the hotel when the opportunity came up.
I was almost scared off by some of the reports on this site , but am so glad I carried through as I had an excellent two days at this unique and comfortable spot.
As to the parking problem mentioned there was no problem- the folks at the desk give you a pass that alows you to supercede city parking laws and park on any street- pretty nifty if you ask me.
The hotel itself was like stepping back in time- I found it well maintained and charming , even walked through every bit of hallway to view the historical photo collection on the wall.
I viewed 2 rooms and found them both full of charm and character , very clean and cozy with period lighting and furniture(and my claw tub was a true joy!!)..I took the room over looking the plaza , and the scene out there was colorful but not disturbing in any way- yes you could occasionaly hear a few voices or even a gentle drumming .. if you are looking to be hermeticaly sealed in some modern chain type place , guess you would not like it here,but if you want a real taste of Aracata , a fine warm staff, and a place you will long rememeber , then stop here by all means. I can't wait to go back!!

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2004

I stayed at the Arcata with my wife and kids for one night in August, 2003. I was really looking forward to this stop and staying in an historic, non-chain hotel. But the physical condition of our room was dismal. Dirty, with no air conditioning, no fan, and no screens on the windows. The hotel looks out on a beautiful public square which, unfortunately, is truly public at all hours. No one could sleep with the bongo drumming and the crowd of drunks gathered on the sidewalk below the hotel literally all night. An accomodating attitude from the staff might have helped, but the little contact we had with them was off-putting. I don't mind carrying up my own towels, but the desk clerk made me feel like a jerk for even asking for them.

The parking is as described by other reviewers, which is too bad because the square has some nice restaurants and shops. Stay someplace else, but have breakfast at the Blue Mug on the square.

• Stayed August 2003
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2004

Although the structure itself is historic and could have possibilities if it were completely redone, this place is grimy, almost flea-bitten.
The lobby was scary enough, but after we actually saw our room, including grungy bed and bathroom, and everything musty smelling, we left in horror. Also, the other reviewer is correct that the parking situation is impossible.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

First off, there isn't any good parking! You have to park on the street, which they don't tell you, is full of Hippies! And I'm not kidding, real hippies, with dirty hair and all that. I came out to my car the next day to have a pile of vomit right next to it. Also the windows aren't quite thick enough, and the Hotel, is right next to about five or six bars. So don't plan on getting to sleep until well after 2AM, which is OK, because then you have to go move your car because you can't PARK on the plaza from 3to6am!

Now onto the rooms, which aren't bad for plaster and lath covered walls, they just don't get the upkeep needed to make them look nice.
The beds aren't first rate, like their price, and they have the SMALLEST clawfoot tubs I've ever seen! If you are over 5'5" tall and 110 pounds, have fun taking a bath, your feet will overhang the tub!

Next time, it's motel 6 or 8 for us, cheaper, quieter and they at least have on-site parking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata
#7 of 10 in Arcata
3.0 of 5 stars 128 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!