“Great fun for young and old” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horse Tracks
Attraction Details
Newmarket, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Great fun for young and old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Santa Anita joined XXI centaury! They installed WiFi in most locations, did some renovation. They improved a lot, although it is still work in progress. For few bucks you can have there a lot of fun. I never thought about betting on horses, until my friend talked me into it. Surprisingly, it is actually quite exciting.

USA
“Fun and easy day at the races”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

While in Pasadena for the Tournament of roses parade, we checked out the horses at Santa Anita. Easy parking, very reasonable entrance fee, and fun authentic thoroughbred racing. The historic beauty if Santa Anita racetrack and the nearby LA arboretum (with historic ties,as well) was a perfect outing.

Niskayuna, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Bucket List”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Check off the bucket list. Well we are going again 2014. It was a great experience for horse lovers and the horse betters. The weather was great, the view of the mountains from the racetrack was breath taking. Only set back was the parking for Breeder's Cup day. The parking lot is within the mall parking and there was no help getting out the thousands of cars in the parking lot. We ended up leaving the car after half hour of not moving and walking back to hotel.

Visited November 2013
Simi Valley
6 attraction reviews
“Got to do it again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I live only an hour away but hadn't been here in thirty years. I could kick myself for not coming back in all that time. My New Years resolution is keep coming back. The place is Gorgeous and very well run. Not at all expensive for such a fun time. Where else can you walk through the gates of such a beautiful place, be entertained by some of the best athletes in the world, and it only cost $10 for a family of four, plus $4.00 to park. You can't even park at Dodger Stadium for that price. Bring you picnic lunch and day camp in the infield. Spend a couple of bucks on a horse with a funny name and see what happens. You can have a great family outing with the kids and still spend less the $20. That is crazy! I am hooked.
You can enter through gate six and park right next to the tunnel access to the infield.

Torrance, California
19 attraction reviews
“Worlds apart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Sometime in the seventies, my dad took me to Santa Anita Racetrack for the first time. It was in the late Fall, when a chill was in the air, smog was minimal and the Oak Tree Meet was on. He bought two clubhouse admissions and a couple of seats in the stands, armed us with racing forms and programs, pointed out General Omar Bradley in his usual spot and we settled into our seats to plan our strategies. We never cashed a ticket, pretty consistently betting on the horses which ran the wrong way. But, win or lose, they were wonderful times. We walked down to the paddocks and admired the beautifully landscaped grounds. Daddy bought himself a hot dog in the grandstand while I fell in love with the freshly carved roast beef served on a turf roll. Ack Ack and Affirmed became part of my vocabulary and I learned to recognize jockeys such as Willie Shoemaker, Laffit Pincay Jr and Eddie Belmonte.

All these years later, Daddy, Omar Bradley and even the Oak Tree Meet are but fond memories, strongest felt when I'm back at Santa Anita. It's as though there's such some thin veil of time separating Then from Now and I can almost reach out and touch yesterday. Laffit Pincay, Jr and Bill Shoemaker are no longer there in the flesh, but there are bronze statues of them to remind me. I smile at the bugler and the voice of the announcer calling the race. We still favor the clubhouse roast beef on turf rolls. My betting skills have turned out better than Daddy's but only just barely.

And truly, the years have been kind to Santa Anita. Bets are still (amazingly) a minimum of $2.00 and the dance is unchanged. Scour your forms (or play eeny-meeny-miney-moe), and lay down your bet. Watch the action from the finish line if you wish, or via a tv screen on the board or at your seat. Though I prefer the more at-one-with-the-action sensation of being outdoors, there's always the option of dining at a comfy booth in the FrontRunner Restaurant, where you can watch the race and admire the view via the expansive wall of glass. Or you can dress up (yes, there is a dress code) and do it in style at the Turf Club (which I've yet to do at this particular track).

I love the rush of excitement as the horses approach the home stretch. I love the magnificent view of the foothills when we're blessed with clear weather. It's a fun day's outing which temporarily sets you worlds apart from the everyday-- away from traffic, shops, and canned music. And for me, it's a chance to sit back, smile and remember those long ago outings with my dad, and the fun we had together.

Visited February 2013