“Too warm; some rooms not clean” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Play at Dave and Busters®
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Arcadia
Charlotte, United States
“Too warm; some rooms not clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here on two consecutive weekends. For the first weekend, the A/C didn't sufficiently cool the room so sleeping was uncomfortable. The carpet and bathroom floor were sticky and dirty and turned our feet black if we didn't wear shoes. Disgusting. The second weekend was better. We were in a different room which was cooler (although outside temps had dropped which helped) and cleaner. Wouldn't stay here during July or August when temps are too hot because clearly the old A/C system can't keep up. That said, the breakfast, happy hour, glass elevators and water features in the lobby were great.

292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
sacramento, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at many Embassy Suites and this one is OK but it is only average at best for an Embassy Suite. We stayed five nights so we saw it on weekdays and weekends.
Positive:
Rooms: Standard Embassy Suite format with bedroom, bath and separate living room. Temperature controls work and we were able to cool the room at night. We had two queen beds and they were comfortable with a sheet on top and then a comforter. Frankly comforters are too warm and we had to throw them off of us at night. We had four towels which was nice. Usual assortment of shampoos, soaps, etc. There is a sign that offers other toiletries such as toothbrush, toothpaste, etc at front desk.
Food: Breakfast M-F is 6 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. and Sat-Sun, Starts at 7 a.m. They offer the usual items, cooked omelette, pancake, eggs to order (not advertised), potatoes, eggs, bacon, juices, muffins, limited cereals. Food is decent and quite acceptable. We often took ours back to the room.
Starting at 5:30 p.m. there are free drinks (wine, beer, some mixed drinks, sodas) and a limited selection of snacks. No fancy brands unless you pay for them at the bar in another section of the hotel.
Service: Front desk was friendly and helpful with questions.
Free services: Wall Street Journal (M-Sat) , USA today (M-F) and sometimes the LA Times. We were given free wifi with the room. Parking is free and space is sufficient even when hotel is fully booked.

Cons:
Room: Although the room seems to have been painted recently the rest (rug, doors, couches, floors in bathroom, fixtures) are dated. Our light next to the beds worked poorly. Carpets are in real need of deep cleaning and replacement.
Food: At times the eating area was packed, particularly on the weekends with families. Cleaning by staff of empty plates, etc was very slow. Often there were no clean trays or utensils. Messy environment a lot of the time. Muffins are small and too sweet.. probably Sara Lee. Only on weekends did we see donuts. I asked the front desk about the lack of donuts on weekdays and he said they are not offered because they are too expensive and Embassy Suites was trying to control costs.
WiFi: We had a reasonable signal in the living room but could not connect in bedroom.
Other: On weekend the hotel was filled with families with children who were going to various sport tournaments. Needless to say we had young and old kids running around. The swimming pool was heavily used. The environment in the interior of the hotel seemed humid. I talked with an employee and he said the worst thing was the humidity in the building. It was not in our room.

Selection of Room: I would avoid the first three floors. The first is on the same level as the food and desk level. The second is still close to the noise on the first floor. The rooms on the third floor facing the mountains sit right over the swimming pool. I strongly suggest you book a higher floor.

Room Tip: Choose one fourth floor and above.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
naperville, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I already listed my dissatisfaction with this hotel on previous page. I will recap. THE HOTEL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU!!! THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT GETTING THEIR MONEY!!!! the issued started the day we arrived on 6/14/13. we booked our stay thru get a room.com. we were told that each suite had 2 king sized beds and a sofa bed. since there were 4 of us staying at the hotel, we felt the price per night that we were paying was reasonable given what we were told. also, we were told that the hotel had an outdoor pool which it did not. then the next issue was the a/c. we called maintenance the 1st day we were there and were told that the building was old and that there was nothing that they could do about the air circulation. they brought up 2 box fans to circulate the air in the rooms. when we brought all of these concerns to getaroom, they called and spoke with the front desk and we were told that the manager would not be available, norma, until sunday morning. I explained to getaroom that the price we were paying for each night was not worth it since we had been lied to about the hotel. we wanted either a 50% reduction in what we paid or to be moved to another hotel with the amenities we were promised and were willing to pay for. the next morning geta room called and norma was not the person to be speak with. we were told that she had the authority to take care of this situation. then we were told that we would have to wait until monday to speak with the appropriate person to take care of this. my family and I were there on vacation. I was not about to wait around for someone to get back to me. we did not hear back from get aroom since they did not hear back from your hotel until tuesday. then we were told that the manager had not heard about any of this and that everything was working fine with the a/c. so none of what was reported to the front desk on saturday was relayed to the manager on monday. at that point, we decided that the hotel was not going to work with us and what was the point of responding. I will not stay at another embassy suites hotel in the future and I will post online about this experience to warn others about staying at this particular hotel or any other embassy suites in the future. I and my wife travel quite a bit for both work and vacation. this is a mistake that embassy suites will be made aware of. in addition, with regard to complaining about the breakfast and the complimentary bar, what was the point. this hotel's attitude seemed to be take it or leave it. they were never enough bananas available, the pop machine was out of service all week, the bar had limited options available, the cereal choices were limited, the cooked to order breakfast was always under cooked. after the 1st 2 days, my family and I ate out every morning. the beer selection was pathethic. even asking for additional towels took forever. this is one of the worst emabassy suites I have ever stayed at. the one is chicago's river north is top notch. whatever you need they took care of right away. if they did not have a particular beer they went and got it for you. they went out of their way to make sure that your stay was both enjoyable and memorable. this hotel seemed more concerned about getting their money and nothing else. up until this vacation, I would have recommended embassy suites to everyone that I know that travels. no more. I would not even consider going back to the one in chicago because I will not take that chance again. also, according to get aroom.com, the only solution available to me was a possible full refund for the room but then I would then have to make my own accomdations at another emabassy suites or other hotel and pay more. now picture this, we are at the hotel after planning this vacation for months, now I have to either stay and suffer thru my stay or move and pay even more for another hotel. when I am on vacation, that is the last thing that I want is problems. I was there to relax with my family not deal with these kind of issues.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

211ESArcadia, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites Arcadia - Pasadena Area, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Jim,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feed back via our Embassy Guest Satisfaction survey as well as here on Trip Advisor. We are always looking for ways to improve the experiences of our guests and apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family experienced during your stay with us.

I believe our Human Resource Director and Night Manager worked with you in order to resolve your issues during your stay. I apologize for whomever told you we have two KING beds in our suites and I will double check with getaroo.com, but I too would have been disappointed to find out that we only have 2 double beds in the suite plus a pull out sleeper sofa. However, I don't know of many hotels that have 2 king beds in one suite or room, perhaps 2 separate rooms ( or a 2 bedroom suite). Most or our Embassy Suites either have a1 King Bed, 2 Double Beds or 2 Queen Beds as options, as do most hotels - but not 2 King Beds.

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with our complimentary services - we do our best to make sure breakfast is well stocked and with 4 -5 different cereal dispensers, which we and the brand feel offers our guest enough choices along with our cooked-to-order options and buffet. Our staff in breakfast would have been more than happy to get you a banana, if there weren't any out - many of our guests do tend to take more than one of everything, and during the summer our staff is continuously trying to keep up with the demands of all of the familys and travellers.

Our management and staff strive to provide our guests with the most convenient and comfortable experience as possible, and we are sorry that this was not the case during your stay especially since you were on vacation.

We will certainly take all of your comments into consideration as we make future improvements to our hotel. I am also sorry that this experience has ruined your taste for staying at other Embassy Suites - one of the most family friendly brands around! I hope you will give not only our hotel, but other Embassy Suites another chance. It saddens me to read a review and think one could have such a horrible time during vacation at a hotel, especially an Embassy Suites.
Torrance, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was at the hotel with a large group which included lots of kids (we were in town for a baseball tournament)...everyone was sooooo nice! The complimentary evening social and breakfast were OUTSTANDING!

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hotel is dated. Deferred upgrading is evident. Not the first time I have seen this at Embassy Suites- one in Orlando was similar. Dirty curtains. cheap bath fixtures. Loud refrigerator. Seems Hilton put there money into the other brands.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
211ESArcadia, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites Arcadia - Pasadena Area, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi BuzzBuzzard,

Thanks for taking time to post your feedback. We at the hotel take these very serious and look at all ways in which we can improve our guests' experiences.

We realize that our hotel is a bit dated, but we ensure that all of our rooms are cleaned with the utmost care. Although tearing the hotel and rebuilding might be a good idea, we are going to start by doing a renovation in the guest suites and ballroom area mid-end of this year.

If travels bring you back up our way, please do give us another try.

Thank you again for your feedback!
San Francisco, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Do not stay at this Embassy Suites Hotel. Everything is old, from the furniture to the bathroom. Handle on the drapes was broken, crack vanity sink, plastic strip attached to the corner of to adjoining walls falling apart, and clean towels left outside front door on the floor overnight. This is a serious cleanliness issue.

Dear Howard,

Thank you for your feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. Please note that cleanliness and comfort are our first priority.

I understand the condition of your guest room was of concern, which left you feeling that the room was dated.

Our management team is always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest's experience and I will keep your review in mind as we prepare for our renovation towards the end of the year.

Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very pretty property . Close to lots of restaurants and shopping . The rooms are clean and spacious comfortable enough for a larger group . We had 3 kids with us . The breakfast is awesome with all the great continental choices and a omelet station. Great service by all the staff ! I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Arcadia - Pasadena Area? Share your experiences!