“Terrible Service with a Terrific View 6/2/13” 2 of 5 stars

(831) 662-7120
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sanderlings Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 62 Restaurants in Aptos
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sumner Ave.
Modesto, CA
“Terrible Service with a Terrific View 6/2/13”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Got to blame management because the service staff really haven't been properly trained. They're all nice clean cut young men & women, but they don't know how to wait tables, really they don't. If you take a customer's utensils when you clear their dish, what do you expect them to eat with when you set the next dish on the table and walk away (this happened several times during dinner to several of us at the table forcing us to ask for more utensils). Our fillet mignons were undercooked - they were rare to raw, not medium as requested - when we asked to have them cooked longer they cooked new ones (TAKES LONGER!!!!) so some of us finished eating before the new fillets came back, and when they did they weren't nice thick fillets like the ones we sent back and simply wanted cooked longer - they were skinny and more gristly - really disappointing. My wife and I asked for coffee with our desserts. When the waiter repeated our dessert orders and didn't mention the coffees I repeated to him our dessert orders emphasizing the coffees. He then said, "Oh that's right - and two coffees." The coffees never came. I ended up having to tell him to remove them from the bill. This is not the first time I've had terrible service at Sanderlings....this is the third time out of three times, which means this wasn't a one time fluke due to one bad employee. This is repeated bad service due to management's bad employee training practices. Sanderling's isn't cheap and they try to sound upscale in their ads, but customer's aren't getting what they're paying for. Take my advice, skip Sanderlings. Go into near-by Capitola and eat at one of their many well known restaurants. You won't be sorry, unless of course you chose to eat at Sanderlings anyway.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lafayette, CA
“Well, that was exhausting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When the highlight of your dining experience is the salt water aquarium by the hostess reception, in my opinion, ya'll got problems. Service was so funky. Our young server tried hard, but took these weird "leave of absences" during our dinner. We were sort of on our own. My only point is if you are in the $25-35 entre range, service should be, in a word, "better." We were getting antsy to order after our drink order. Wine bottle came out 15 minutes later and the waiter explained, "Had a hard time tracking down this bottle." Did he drive to the local liquor store to find it? We then gave him our food order at minute 50 and waited with anticipation. He only returned 10 minutes later to "verify who ordered what." You know the routine where the waiter has his pad of paper out and he points around the table at each individual in our party and asks them to recite their order they had placed 10 minutes ago. Our waiter also mentioned that the kitchen was "slammed" and food should be comong out shortly. That comment definitely did not instill confidence. (the restuarant was maybe half full...eeek, our hopes really sank) The kids meals arrived early, which is always nice. The problem was that not all the kids orders came out at once. 5-10 minutes later kids all had food. And then the appetizers rolled out sporadically. A salad here, and a few minutes later shrimp there. Thank God I had my wine and my glass was constantly being refilled..by me. BTW, mozzarella and tomato salad is plain bad. How can a restaurant screw that one up? Cheese was old and tomatos were sliced fresh sometime in April. Entres arrived, again strangley at different times. When they took my salad fork away with the salad, a littel voice in my head told me I should have hung onto it. Got my luke-warm scallops, requested a fork and waited and waited again for a new fork. Had my full wine glass, gulp. Scampi and pasta was soupy. Halibut was ok, scallops were ok, salmon ok. What a shame. They have a captive population with all of the resort guests. The patio seating is spectacular with world-class views. But the fact the restaurant is only half full on a Saturday night when the resort is full, tells me that most everyone (not eating at Sanderlings) has already been there once. And that bottle of wine so hard to locate? It was my only refuge during a dinner that was a slog through bizarrely poor service and mediocre food. Phew.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
California
“Great pool side service by Lady”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Pool side service was great! Extremely friendly with it being so busy too! Had the grilled artichoke and hibiscus martini. Both yummy! If I could give a higher rating for service I would!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Modesto, California
“Truffle Fries are a MUST!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We enjoyed the restaurant's food. We tried the burgers, steak sandwich and huevos rancheros. All of us enjoyed our food especially the truffle fries. We had Bloody Marys from the bar, the first round was good the second was only adequate.

Visited April 2013
Sacramento, California
“Great potential, but came up short”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We just got back from a three day stay at Seascape and ate at the resort's restaurant once for lunch and twice for dinner. We ate lunch on the outdoor patio and while the food was o.k., we discovered after we left that the server forgot to put the list of specials on our menus and consequently, we were overcharged for one of our meals. So the food got an A- and the server got a D+. For our first dinner, we had reservations for a window table and after a 15 minute wait, we were seated just in time to see a beautiful sunset. The food was just o.k. The clam chowder was too thick, and the salad dressing too vinegary. My wife ordered a small Asian salad, but they brought her the large version and while the server said we wouldn't be charged for it, the huge plate of food was a turn off for her. My skirt steak was done just right, but the portions, even for a male, were too large. Wine prices were a little too high. The next night, we were seated right on time at a window table but it took an hour for us to get our food, with no apologies from the server. The wine we requested was not available, again, no apology from the server. It was lobster night and while my meal was good, my wife's vegetable lasagna was not good and she only ate a little. We had to ask another server for our check so grade wise: food: B and service: D. As my title said, this place had great potential, but came up short with some food problems and poor service. If we go back again, we would probably go for lunch, but skip dinner.

• Visited April 2013